Why is WIDOW In EVERY Quick Play game?

General Discussion
Prev 1 4 5 6 9 Next
01/23/2018 07:18 PMPosted by TheSuperbOwl
01/23/2018 06:34 PMPosted by NuggyBear
I don't understand it.

What is it about that character. Maybe only 1/20 are any good too. Don't give me that crap about practice either as these people are not new players. They have hours on her in qp, but are usually either Mercy or Genji mains in comp.

Why her though? Why not, Reaper? Why not, Ana? Widow has to be in something over 90% of all quick play games.

Someone explain it to me. I am at a loss.

God forbid I try to enjoy the game I payed for, amirite lads.

Hey we paid for the same game. A team based competitive style videogame that is balanced around the idea that at least both teams have a healer/tank. If I pick a tank and get no healer because you want to do widow in a comp where she's getting heavily countered by the enemy team, and we get steamrolled that's on you. Not me.

And I think the other people in my group would like to have had a better game as well. How is our collective money less important than yours?
01/23/2018 11:29 PMPosted by Alu
<span class="truncated">...</span>

Hey we paid for the same game. A team based competitive style videogame that is balanced around the idea that at least both teams have a healer/tank. If I pick a tank and get no healer because you want to do widow in a comp where she's getting heavily countered by the enemy team, and we get steamrolled that's on you. Not me.

And I think the other people in my group would like to have had a better game as well. How is our collective money less important than yours?

they are equally important meaning you both get to do whatever you want in any mode bar breaking reportable offenses like throwing or being super toxic.

people get flamed horribly for trying to play widow in ranked just let people play widow in qp in peace... or find a 6 stack so you can fully coordinate your team
01/23/2018 11:29 PMPosted by Alu

The fact the overwhelming majority of quickplay players don't use their mains (or even their top 3) says you're the exception. So tell us, why OUR collective money is less important than yours?
Dive comp? QP has the Widow + Hanzo Meta
01/23/2018 06:36 PMPosted by GremlinDiVA
Expect her to be in 100% of all quick play games for a while now that she has this amazing Nova skin and all the pros are playing her in League.

Yeah, we clearly need more "nerf Genji" threads...
01/23/2018 06:36 PMPosted by Willustrate
That just means they want to play other more challenging heroes in a non-competitive environment.

Seriously, you sound like you've never tried to learn how to play more challenging heroes before.

OP is a DVA/Mercy main ^^
01/23/2018 06:36 PMPosted by GremlinDiVA
Expect her to be in 100% of all quick play games for a while now that she has this amazing Nova skin and all the pros are playing her in League.

We had her just a while ago on comp and she was showing off and posing her new skin on the spawn for straight 30 second for 3 round.

As if we care...
dps sniper1 sniper2 dps dps moria tank
Me: Hmm, heal Tank and three dps players only.
Sniper1: WTF?
Sniper2: I need healing! I need healing! I need healing!
Me: My healing powers unlimited? No. Can I fly? No.
Sniper2: Do your job heal us!
Me: It's Quick Play. Deal with it! My time, my money. End of story.

Hanzo? Widow? They don't exist to me.
Because it's qp
Where you play what you want and have fun
You don't go there to win. Only to have fun
01/24/2018 01:45 AMPosted by GreenVGC
Because it's qp

No. Stop it. Just...don't.
The "because it's qp" argument is over since customs and deathmatch have been implemented. If you want to not give a damn about team comps, team play, the objective or basicly anything that has to do with Overwatch besides killing stuff then you might want to either go to Arcade, Deathmatch or just any other FPS shooter on the market that doesnt evolve around things I just mentioned.

QP was designed to be played like comp but without the salt, without the sr system. That doesn't mean you should fill your 4dps + Moira comp with yet another dps. It's so selfish and people refuse to care, yet I haven't had someone saying he had more fun picking selfish than actually trying to have a nice game and play it out so it's a close and cool match.

Too many people want to be the lead singer or guitarist but it's the drum and bass people dance to.

Also it's not Widow + Hanzo every QP, it's Widow + Hanzo + Genji every QP often paired with Junk/McCree.

The fact the overwhelming majority of quickplay players don't use their mains (or even their top 3) says you're the exception. So tell us, why OUR collective money is less important than yours?

What are you talking about? According to Blizzard more people play QP than comp. Hence, their main in QP is their main, period.

I don't mind people who play Widowmaker badly... as long as they don't do it all the time. I mean, it's one thing to play heroes you suck with occassionally, in order to try something new, and another to keep doing it even though you know perfectly well you are a burden for your teammates and chances are you will never be a good Widowmaker. For everyone who genuiinely trains for comp there are five more who play sniper because it's cool. I get it, I play Mccree occasionally even though I am a terrible shot. But if he were my main I would probably break my mouse and keyboard in frustration because I am that bad with him. :)

Plus, there are hundreds of games where playing sniper is more rewarding due to the lack of Genji, Winston and the likes. Why play OW if you are going to be a bad or mediocre sniper? I don't get it.
...and all the pros are playing her in League.

2 weeks in, and I'm already beyond sick of watching the camera focus on her standing on some platform far away from her team. If they just flat deleted her from the game entirely, I'd be !@#$ing ecstatic.
01/24/2018 01:57 AMPosted by Schnibbi
01/24/2018 01:45 AMPosted by GreenVGC
Because it's qp

The "because it's qp" argument is over since customs and deathmatch have been implemented. If you want to not give a damn about team comps, team play, the objective or basicly anything that has to do with Overwatch besides killing stuff then you might want to either go to Arcade, Deathmatch or just any other FPS shooter on the market that doesnt evolve around things I just mentioned.

QP was designed to be played like comp but without the salt, without the sr system. That doesn't mean you should fill your 4dps + Moira comp with yet another dps. It's so selfish and people refuse to care, yet I haven't had someone saying he had more fun picking selfish than actually trying to have a nice game and play it out so it's a close and cool match.

Too many people want to be the lead singer or guitarist but it's the drum and bass people dance to.

Also it's not Widow + Hanzo every QP, it's Widow + Hanzo + Genji every QP often paired with Junk/McCree.

It's just qp. So people are allowed to do what they want and what they wanna play.
If you're that try hard on winning, go play comp
01/24/2018 02:08 AMPosted by GreenVGC
01/24/2018 01:57 AMPosted by Schnibbi

It's just qp. So people are allowed to do what they want and what they wanna play.
If you're that try hard on winning, go play comp

People are allowed to play whatever they want to play in comp too. I would never report someone for playing Hero X but that doesn't mean I have to like it when my five teammates pick DPS leaving me with the choice of how exactly I would like to lose the game if the enemies decide to, you know, have tanks and healers.
I don't understand it.

What is it about that character. Maybe only 1/20 are any good too. Don't give me that crap about practice either as these people are not new players. They have hours on her in qp, but are usually either Mercy or Genji mains in comp.

Why her though? Why not, Reaper? Why not, Ana? Widow has to be in something over 90% of all quick play games.

Yea, only 1/20 Widow players are good...but guess what ? You have to practice at her somehow to become that one player . I am not new to Overwatch, I "main" Genji like you say....but I am new at Widow and would really like to learn using her and to learn sniping. Why I am not using Widow in competitive ? Cause I don't feel like I am good enough at her just yet to do so ; I don't even use Genji in comp, I usually fill in the roles that are needed like the healer's or the tank's ( by playing Mercy , Lucio , Moira , Dva and Rein.....76 if I really have to dps cause he's a good tactical choice ).
Sniping is really hard per se, it gets even more in a game such as Overwatch where everyone has abilities that allow them to blink , jump , run extremely fast and so on....and I am not counting the fact that Widow's rifle also needs time to charge up , which may look alright if you are good at her...but it's slightly painful as a newbie.
Widow also got a new skin and we have a new and pretty "open" map where she actually performs really nicely.
I love playing her in QP, mainly because I want to practice. Widowmaker is one of those characters that if you play her well, you can really carry the team to victory. The main problem being, people always complain in competitive if you play her unless you headshot someone every 5 sec. Also she's one of the few heroes that can stay far away from the brawl and survive a lot.
Here's how I go about it.

I usually play supports or tanks. If I ocassionally want to play a sniper (usually on attack; never in defense) I go like this:

"Hey guys, I wanna try out Hanzo/Widow for a few minutes, If it doesn't work I'll switch to support". All this, provided we have at least one healer and a tank.

I usually receive positive responses when I do this.

If we do good I might stay with these heroes. If it doesn't, I will switch.

Is it wrong if I expect other people to behave the same way?
I don't understand it.

Have you ever played TF2?

60% of the players pick Sniper.
Becuase they are masochists who like dying to flankers every two seconds....

What....

How else would they find the above fun?
chill dude. people can play what they want. Usually want to play more challenging heroes in a low pressure environment.

Relax dude