Quality of Ranked, Ranked.

Competitive Discussion
I keep coming back to this game time and time again with such an optimistic attitude, thinking *this will be a fun game*... I would say a good 70% of the time I'm let down with other players in the game. The report system is (surely) there but how do you actually measure it's success? The quality of game play has not changed since S1.

The performance change went into effect but I'm constantly getting placed into teams of players who would rather run 6 DPS and throw a game just to ensure others are having a bad time, than actually run a composition which would increase the likelihood of winning a game.

But what solution is there? A karma system? Maybe to actually RATE other players.

Let's say a player in good standing has a better chance to queue into a game of other good standing players, then MAYBE the quality of game play is more palpable. Adversely the toxic offenders get paired into their own class.

Maybe set actual class limits on roles instead of just single digit hero limits? Maybe an option to queue for a specific role based on a pool for several heroes you're willing to play?

There are a lot of maybes but nothing that has been done since public release has really actually changed the quality of life for ranked players.

I've played everywhere from the pits of ranked up to 4292 and even GM wasn't much different from any tier below in terms of toxicity. This issue is present at all ranks.

This has to be a known issue for Blizzard and it's possible the community just isn't giving enough feedback or suggestions on how to approach this. If you're reading this, at any tier of ranked -- go ahead and comment your experience. Agree/Disagree, comments, concerns, suggestions.

Thanks for reading.
There have been a lot of good posts with lots of constructive points and feedback (like this one). Unfortunately, the majority of them are getting ignored.

That lack of even the slightest feedback by Blizz (I mean even a simple "we are taking that into consideration" would be great at this point) drives me absolutely crazy.

And experiencing the same toxicity, caused by the same MM over and over again, is probably the reason why nearly all my friends have stopped playing this game.
From what I've seen, the most toxic players are the one nitpicking every pick/comp setup. Why can't you just enjoy the ride and play what you like?
The report system isn't that effective but that's just how report systems are. We just have to trust the general community to be decent ppl that share the same interest of winning and having fun.

As for a rating system where ppl rate you personally, that wouldn't be a good idea (just think of how many ppl would troll and exploit that) but I think your suggestion of queuing as a specific role in comp would be interesting.

I could imagine ppl queuing in competitive and selecting a certain role (support, dps, tank) to enter a match as so when you enter a game you're only limited to the heroes of that role and the game ensures your team has two of each of the three roles. That would be pretty cool but even as I write this there are so many flaws and pitfalls I'm coming up of.

Would still be cool tho to actually see something like that.
There should be a thumbs up and a thumbs down for each player. Thumbs up prefers a player as teammate. Thumbs down avoids player as teammate.
Please no social currency; It does not end well.
01/23/2018 10:19 PMPosted by Pokadotdurr

I imagine playing non-meta would be like opting-in to be berated and abused by the toxic crowd even moreso than now.

This isn't social currency. It affects who you will play with in the future automatically.
Comp needs a rework more then anything else or least a guild an guild comp system
This game seriously needs a clan competitive mode, here is my idea(s):

You can only have 12 players in your clan max at any given time...

A separate game mode called "Clan Competitive Season" which is 6 stack vs 6 stack, you can only 6 stack with 6/12 of the players registered to your clan. Your clans wins/losses contribute to the overall clan SR, which in turn is your clan rank.

Also in this Clan Competitive Season, games are best of 3 maps and not best of 1 map. Both clans get to choose 1 map each, the 3rd map is a roll of the dice/randomized.

Side Note: If Your Clan Decides To Play Numbani on 1 game, they cannot choose Numbani again for 2 more games. Basically the map is locked out for 2 games if picked. This is to ensure clans do not 1 trick maps. (Group Leader Decides On The Map Pick)

If your clan beats someone 3-0, then they receive more SR than if they would have won 2-1. If your clan loses 2-1, you'd lose less SR than you would if you were to lose 3-0. This is to ensure that if you're losing 2-0, the 3rd map still has meaning... you're playing the 3rd map to stop the other team gaining extra SR and to stop your team losing more SR.

Additional Ideas:
1) If someone leaves your clan, the person who leaves cannot join a new clan for 5 days. This is to stop "boosters" joining clan rosters or clan hopping to try and increase the clans SR.

2) As clans can have 12 players in there team, you could effectively have 2 teams in your clan playing Clan Comp Seasons mode at the same time, contributing to the clan SR.

3) Keep a stats/history of clan matches so you can see which maps your clan struggles etc.

4) Enable Clan Tags / Emblems / Skin Colours.

5) Have an opening match cinematic where the camera goes past each player and displays there rank/name/most played hero/solo SR and then a shot of the clan standing together in a group with the clan SR above there heads and there clan W/L/D record.

I have more ideas for this system but I'd like to hear more thoughts from community first.
This game seriously needs changes to competitive period. So many suggests and not a single peep from blizzard.
My friends from my wow guild got the OW when it was at first season, i came to play in season 4 or 5, since then I am trying to reunite them to play together cause I can't stand the mess in the ranked atm. My friend got ragequit last night cause we got a team of trolls and in the next match he got a disconnect (quicked from the server) and got punished at the start of the match.

The ranked atm is the new quickplay, when you can get into the ranks with level 25 and people having a lot of accounts, you play with a bunch of trolls.

I am making a podcast about overwatch but i am pretty sad atm cause the game is making me frustrated instead of gimme some joy to play.

Blizzard is watching so much the high end players on league and don't see us down there.
01/24/2018 08:30 AMPosted by Endzeit
Blizzard is watching so much the high end players on league and don't see us down there.

I've been thinking a lot about this lately... a bunch of other games (dota, lol, even that Paladins garbage) seems to care so much more about competitive matches than Blizzard with Overwatch.

Its seems like Blizzard is delivering us the "feeling" of being in a competitive match instead of the actual competitive match itself. We don't even know how the MM literally works. First DC ever, results in SR loss and 10min ban... ???

Something has to be done...
01/24/2018 02:52 AMPosted by Tactician

This isn't social currency. It affects who you will play with in the future automatically.

Go watch the Black Mirror episode called 'Nosedive' and the Community episode 'App Development and Condiments' and then ask yourself if it is still a good idea.

Both stories very clearly illustrate the implications this type of system can have.
The Quality of comp will never be there as long you are allowed to use more then one account.
You will always end up with players that don't care.
Golden guns should be taken away from comp.
The only reason to want to enter comp is for the sole purpose of winning.
01/23/2018 09:33 PMPosted by Torivorx109
The report system isn't that effective but that's just how report systems are. We just have to trust the general community to be decent ppl that share the same interest of winning and having fun.

As for a rating system where ppl rate you personally, that wouldn't be a good idea (just think of how many ppl would troll and exploit that) but I think your suggestion of queuing as a specific role in comp would be interesting.

I could imagine ppl queuing in competitive and selecting a certain role (support, dps, tank) to enter a match as so when you enter a game you're only limited to the heroes of that role and the game ensures your team has two of each of the three roles. That would be pretty cool but even as I write this there are so many flaws and pitfalls I'm coming up of.

Would still be cool tho to actually see something like that.

I can see where you're going with this, but you have to remember it would be an overall consensus. I'm sure this would sway users to put forth MORE of an effort to be friendly, or be more willing to pick a role that the team would want and THUS the overall votes coming in from other players would be in the positive.

You can't immediately dismiss the idea and assume that every single player would down vote you every game unless you're the common denominator to this problem.

It's an incentive for players to want to be good, to get a good review. It's the principle Yelp uses and it works wonders for restaurants.

Of course you could sit and analyze a million different things that would break down into sub-categories which nurture toxic behavior.
01/24/2018 06:02 AMPosted by Taktikz
This game seriously needs a clan competitive mode, here is my idea(s):

You can only have 12 players in your clan max at any given time...

A separate game mode called "Clan Competitive Season" which is 6 stack vs 6 stack, you can only 6 stack with 6/12 of the players registered to your clan. Your clans wins/losses contribute to the overall clan SR, which in turn is your clan rank.

Also in this Clan Competitive Season, games are best of 3 maps and not best of 1 map. Both clans get to choose 1 map each, the 3rd map is a roll of the dice/randomized.

Side Note: If Your Clan Decides To Play Numbani on 1 game, they cannot choose Numbani again for 2 more games. Basically the map is locked out for 2 games if picked. This is to ensure clans do not 1 trick maps. (Group Leader Decides On The Map Pick)

If your clan beats someone 3-0, then they receive more SR than if they would have won 2-1. If your clan loses 2-1, you'd lose less SR than you would if you were to lose 3-0. This is to ensure that if you're losing 2-0, the 3rd map still has meaning... you're playing the 3rd map to stop the other team gaining extra SR and to stop your team losing more SR.

Additional Ideas:
1) If someone leaves your clan, the person who leaves cannot join a new clan for 5 days. This is to stop "boosters" joining clan rosters or clan hopping to try and increase the clans SR.

2) As clans can have 12 players in there team, you could effectively have 2 teams in your clan playing Clan Comp Seasons mode at the same time, contributing to the clan SR.

3) Keep a stats/history of clan matches so you can see which maps your clan struggles etc.

4) Enable Clan Tags / Emblems / Skin Colours.

5) Have an opening match cinematic where the camera goes past each player and displays there rank/name/most played hero/solo SR and then a shot of the clan standing together in a group with the clan SR above there heads and there clan W/L/D record.

I have more ideas for this system but I'd like to hear more thoughts from community first.

Interesting idea, but let's make sure it's pertinent to the thread topic please.