So about this new ~social media~ ban policy

General Discussion
01/26/2018 03:45 PMPosted by ThisIsMyName
There are 30 million Overwatch players, they aren't keeping tabs on everyone. So the question you have to ask yourself is; do you have any reason to worry? If not, then Blizzard has no reason to keep an eye on you either.

This is the scariest thing I'll read all day. I'll go back to pretending that people like you don't exist.
We have no control over what comments you make on social media.

If a video gets posted of you playing OW and doing things that are against the rules, we will action you if we see it and can confirm the bad behavior.
02/07/2018 06:44 PMPosted by Jeff Kaplan

If a video gets posted of you playing OW and doing things that are against the rules, we will action you if we see it and can confirm the bad behavior.
Please look at this guy then

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIGFaUKO7zQ

Good stuff! Time to make a YT account

This is what I'm talking about.

Praise Lord Jeff and the Overwatch team.
02/07/2018 06:46 PMPosted by ShortCircuit

He's already banned

This is amazing, this is you guys actively combating toxicity and manchildren screaming and flaming others. Thank you so much.
02/07/2018 06:48 PMPosted by Jibbles
...Please look at this guy then

He's already banned
How is he making new vods then ?

Thank you.

Yet another "Community is completely overreacting" story for the books.

Gonna need a bigger library.

It's the perceived results of such that have people worried.
In other words, Big Brother is watching you.

So, to be totally clear, this means 'Hey, so if we find video evidence on YouTube, Twitch, etc. of you in-game in matches being toxic or guilty of misconduct, we will ban you regardless of in-game reports done against you.', and not 'Hey, so if we find you saying or doing anything negative or that we don't like on any of your social media, related to Overwatch or not, we'll ban you in Overwatch.', right?

The reason I ask is because a lot of people seemed to believe the latter over the former, even though I was pretty confident it was the former. People were going crazy claiming Blizzard was being too controlling and oppressive. I made a post on this a week or so back, and even there I was seeing the mixed reactions of people believing one or the other and arguing with one another.
01/27/2018 12:38 AMPosted by StormyFacade
https://youtu.be/5P1Md792fF8?t=2m14s Here's the source.

I put it a bit before the 2:40-ish mark, since to prove that it's NOT taken out of context.

He doesn't mention E-sports in relation to this a single time, people saying he did are directly Lying.

You can watch the whole video, but it is not taken out of context.

OWL is not mentioned in the first 5 minutes of the whole video.

If it truly was taken out of context, then I'll say this.

I'll keep buying loot crates, card packs, and character skins in Hots.

But if it refers to monitoring everyone, I'm not buying Blizzard products.
Not for... maybe around a year, or until they change their tune and do so for at least a couple months.

Time to swear off OW though, pre-emptively, just in case.

Oh, please.

They're using social media as proof that people are being toxic. Video proof of a player verbally harassing another player, abusing the report system, etc. They aren't LITERALLY watching every single social media account held by every single one of the 30 million players on this planet.
02/07/2018 06:59 PMPosted by infoinfoinfo

So, to be totally clear, this means 'Hey, so if we find video evidence on YouTube, Twitch, etc. of you in-game in matches being toxic or guilty of misconduct, we will ban you regardless of in-game reports done against you.', and not 'Hey, so if we find you saying or doing anything negative or that we don't like on any of your social media, related to Overwatch or not, we'll ban you in Overwatch.', right?

The reason I ask is because a lot of people seemed to believe the latter over the former, even though I was pretty confident it was the former. People were going crazy claiming Blizzard was being too controlling and oppressive. I made a post on this a week or so back, and even there I was seeing the mixed reactions of people believing one or the other and arguing with one another.
The answer to your question is in the post you are quoting. how hard is that to understand?
It's because they want to discourage the behavior of certain streamers who troll/throw games for laughs. People will mimic the behavior of those they admire, and think they can get away with it if they don't see it punished.

I've got no problem with this. As far as I'm concerned, people who post this stuff are unwittingly giving Blizzard the hard evidence they need to take action.
02/07/2018 06:59 PMPosted by infoinfoinfo

Yes.

The only reason people believed the latter is for fear mongering, not because they were actually logically thinking about what Blizz would reasonably do.

Surprisingly, actually thinking about things and not just overreacting in fear of a worst case scenario, no matter how unlikely, actually helps.

He's already hardware banned.
02/07/2018 06:50 PMPosted by ShortCircuit
How is he making new vods then ?
Does he have another channel? The last video in this channel was 1 month ago.
01/26/2018 03:50 PMPosted by VPLewboski
Are you trying to deliberately bend the truth and create controversy?

Jeff said they are monitoring youtube for players who display poor conduct (bannable offenses) in the recorded game play hosted there.

That's a much different statement from "blizzard monitors social media and will ban you for saying something they don't like.

That's probably the best thing for OW team to do

How dare you defy the king of youtube?