10 Reasons Why I think Skins are Completely Harmless

General Discussion
Allow me to preface this by saying that this is my opinion. If you are the type who cannot accept the opinions of others, especially if you disagree with the idea of in-game content this will not be the thread for you. Please save yourself the trouble or getting offended and move on. Thanks!

With that said, here are 10 Reasons Why I think Skins are Completely Harmless

1. It's 100% your choice to buy them. Blizzard doesn't force you to buy a skin to play the game.

2. Skins are not required to win games. If Blizzard removed all the skins from Overwatch, the game will still perform the same exact way. It's all cosmetic.

3. The way the heroes perform are not tied behind a paywall. Skins do not make your hero "better" or "worse", and they are random. What skins people earn have nothing to do with how much money they put up front. When players are given a choice, there are strict rules set that promotes playing the game first to win enough coins to buy what you want, which in and of itself - is random. The only exception is to this rule is through the promotion of other gamers. OWL Skins. And even that is up to the consumer.

4. Any rebuttal against #3 is subjective, backed behind emotions and opinion. This is because we all have subjective likes and dislikes. What may seem necessary to buy for one person does not apply someone else.

5. Comparing Overwatch Skins and it's Lootboxes to pay-to-win systems is futile, as they are not the same. One promotes self expression and identity. The other promotes spending money to get better at the game than everyone else. One is harmless and optional, the other is harmful to yourself, and others. Do not confuse the two.

6. The price of skins is justified, and when they aren't, will be balanced through basic supply and demand. This business model between consumer and company has existed before the existence of in-game purchases. It will continue long after.

7. Additional optional content like OWL skins allows for more revenue streams for the company. This funding in the long term means more jobs for people who design the content, more usable income for Blizzard to do things like OWL, sponsorships and funding for the kids who you enjoy watching during eSports, and additional free content like new heroes, new maps, and new emotes.

8. The beauty of it all, is that it the system of both buying and earning skins are completely under the consumer's control. The moment Blizzard goes "corporate hungry" and begins taking advantage of it's consumers is the moment where they will get a rude awakening to what their core values should be. The customer. Skins are earned, and when they aren't, they have no effect on the actual game. Owl skins for example don't even get counted in the hero's collection.

9. Skins allows Blizzard to learn about it's consumers likes and dislikes and act accordingly to consumer demand. An example of this is the change in Hanzo's winter wonderland skin upcoming to his hair and piercing size, the fan-servicing Mercy's witch skin in 2016 and the Winter Sombra outfit of 2017, the "daddy" McCree and Soldier 76 skins or "mommy" widow beach skin. Yeah.. There's a reason these skins were made to look the way they did, to please the fans. in-game content is an excellent start in scratching that itch of "what if___ looked like ____?" in way more creative ways than even possible than what built-in content can provide.

10. Skins give an incentive. Whether that is to play the game or support your favorite gamer, It gives you a goal, and rewards us for our sacrifices. Without things like skins or lootboxes, designed in the way that benefits people first and foremost over corporations by being free to earn or given away during events, Overwatch would be just another First person shooter, and to be honest, without a way to earn items like skins through playing the game and taking part in events, a lot of the player base would be a lot smaller than it is now.

So the next time you boot up the game and find that fellow team mate sporting a fancy Legendary skin or cool color scheme, why not give them props. Chances are they were just as excited to earn it as you were earning yours!
I'm a skin guy, I love a good skin! But I also respect other peoples opinions. I love you.
yup. 100% agree. The whole lootboxes are bad argument in overwatch is kinda stupid. They don't affect gameplay in any way, you don't need the skin. It might be nice but it's not the end of the world if you don't get one, you can grind out boxes during events. For each event last year I got all of the skins I wanted with the exception of 3. Also there are things called credits. I have enough of them where when an event with one of the 3 skins comes back I can just buy it with credits.
01/11/2018 01:31 PMPosted by Chappie
I'm a skin guy, I love a good skin! But I also respect other peoples opinions. I love you.

Skins are life!

01/11/2018 01:37 PMPosted by defender465
yup. 100% agree. The whole lootboxes are bad argument in overwatch is kinda stupid. They don't affect gameplay in any way, you don't need the skin. It might be nice but it's not the end of the world if you don't get one, you can grind out boxes during events. For each event last year I got all of the skins I wanted with the exception of 3. Also there are things called credits. I have enough of them where when an event with one of the 3 skins comes back I can just buy it with credits.
I agree! Speaking of credits I'm hoping to have enough to get the Mercy hustle emote when March comes around. Then my life can be complete!
When I see posts like this I'm like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jl3U_wiZ3oE&t=96
01/11/2018 02:02 PMPosted by Ponyatta
When I see posts like this I'm like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jl3U_wiZ3oE&t=96

Allow me to preface this by saying that this is my opinion. If you are the type who cannot accept the opinions of others, especially if you disagree with the idea of in-game content this will not be the thread for you. Please save yourself the trouble or getting offended and move on. Thanks!

Blocked for being an ignorant. xoxo