Elephant in the room...

General Discussion
That's one small elephant
01/15/2018 09:01 AMPosted by Hikaru
I know I'm just going to be labelled as a sexist pig but whatever, I'm really not that kind of person but I understand how this point is going to come accross.

Call me sexist or whatever you want

Just a pro tip, but if you think "someone will call me sexist if I say this", to the point where the majority of your post is defending yourself against that anticipated complaint? You should probably just not say it.

Because that means you know what you're saying is wrong, on some level--it's basically your conscience telling you that--even if you don't exactly know why.
01/15/2018 09:41 AMPosted by ThePunisher
Oh so it's okay for boy characters to be old or fat or ugly or whatever but wow seriously why does her looks matter to you so much? People call girls who look in the mirror and care about how they look vain yet people tell them they have to be pretty and the "right" kind of pretty too. Women don't just exist for guys to look at I mean Moira is an evil scientist why does everything have to come back to someone's looks?

Like seriously people if society teaches how you look is the most important thing and if you look different from what most people want you’re not the right kind of pretty or even pretty at all and that makes so many people sad.

To quote Lucio who quotes Taylor Swift can't stop won't stop!

Oh Roadhog is way uglier by the way

Uh oh, I triggered the "Don't objectify women!" person. I agree, women should not be objectified. But I can also think that Moira is ugly af if I want =) again, remember, Moira isn't real lol
Agree.
I don't expect every female character to be a photomodel but they have been getting uglier with every new hero as if it is intentional.

Just compare it to Paladins female charcter. Neither one of them is intentionally ugly yet they still looks different enough from each other.
01/15/2018 09:48 AMPosted by aegisaglow
I know I'm just going to be labelled as a sexist pig but whatever, I'm really not that kind of person but I understand how this point is going to come accross.

Call me sexist or whatever you want

Just a pro tip, but if you think "someone will call me sexist if I say this", to the point where the majority of your post is defending yourself against that anticipated complaint? You should probably just not say it.

Because that means you know what you're saying is wrong, on some level--it's basically your conscience telling you that--even if you don't exactly know why.

Thanks! Lol that's actually a really good point.

I knew it would be a very controversial post so I was expecting it. I shouldn't have bothered trying to defend myself though, it's all just my opinion anyways.
I like Moira
01/15/2018 09:51 AMPosted by HANA
Agree.
I don't expect every female character to be a photomodel but they have been getting uglier with every new hero as if it is intentional.

Just compare it to Paladins female charcter. Neither one of them is intentionally ugly yet they still looks different enough from each other.

Thanks for the reply =) yes good point about Paladins!
Funny thing is their are real women out there who look like Moira lol
01/15/2018 09:53 AMPosted by Theoretical
I like Moira

Moira seems like a cool character, sorry to offend anyone who likes her for any reason be it her looks or just her gameplay or backstory.
Beauty is subjective. Not everything will cater to your personal taste. Yes, there are sexy, skin-showing men in the game like Doomfist, just as there are women like Widowmaker and Symmetra. But there’s also freaking ugly men like Torbjorn and Roadhog. I for one think Overwatch has one of the most balanced cast of ugly, pretty, diverse, big, small, etc characters that I’ve ever seen.

It sucks if a character you like is ugly to you...personally, I make choices in games based on looks all the time. The biggest example for me is Pokémon where I won’t have a Pokémon in my party no matter how good it is unless I think it’s cute. Is that okay? Of course, it’s a game and I’ll play it how I want. But should I bash the Pokémon company because they made a good Pokémon that I personally think is ugly? Nah.

Moira’s design is beautiful to many. Just not you, my dude, and that’s okay.
01/15/2018 09:55 AMPosted by DDGOW
Funny thing is their are real women out there who look like Moira lol

Absolutely! And I do think it would be a problem if Blizz made every female some stereotypical hot blonde or whatever.
01/15/2018 09:53 AMPosted by Hikaru
<span class="truncated">...</span>

<span class="truncated">...</span>

I knew it would be a very controversial post so I was expecting it. I shouldn't have bothered trying to defend myself though, it's all just my opinion anyways.

I looked at my post again and saw how unclear it was, so just to be 100% here:

You repeatedly thought "oh, someone is going to say I'm sexist", and that's a good sign that what you're saying is sexist. Instead of making this post at all, you should have reconsidered.

I don't think you're a bad guy! I think you have some glimmers of awareness. But here, the problem isn't that you're complaining about a specific fictional woman, it's because you're suggesting, in general, that women have to be attractive to you--even fictional ones, even in cases where it makes no sense that they would be wearing makeup or be supermodels or whatever.
01/15/2018 09:55 AMPosted by zesstea
Beauty is subjective. Not everything will cater to your personal taste. Yes, there are sexy, skin-showing men in the game like Doomfist, just as there are women like Widowmaker and Symmetra. But there’s also freaking ugly men like Torbjorn and Roadhog. I for one think Overwatch has one of the most balanced cast of ugly, pretty, diverse, big, small, etc characters that I’ve ever seen.

It sucks if a character you like is ugly to you...personally, I make choices in games based on looks all the time. The biggest example for me is Pokémon where I won’t have a Pokémon in my party no matter how good it is unless I think it’s cute. Is that okay? Of course, it’s a game and I’ll play it how I want. But should I bash the Pokémon company because they made a good Pokémon that I personally think is ugly? Nah.

Moira’s design is beautiful to many. Just not you, my dude, and that’s okay.

That is a really good example with pokemon. Thank you for the response!

Meh, y'all have made some good points and I feel better now. I'll leave the community alone now haha =)
I've gone on long enough ...

way too long
01/15/2018 09:06 AMPosted by tpfang56
01/15/2018 09:03 AMPosted by Nightfallen
You’re not sexist, you’re ignorant.

Nah, he’s sexist and ignorant.

ah cmon feminazi be quiet pls. He has a point. i feel the same moira is ugly beyond reasoning ( even tho i have an entire account deticated to playing her) from a gameplay point of view she is beautiful. i love her fast past kind of playstyle. from a desing point of view she is ugly. also dont pretend to be high and mighty i bet even u consider some male characters in overwatch or in any other game ugly. and to be fair even tho i'd wish fopr a cahracter (or at least more skins) that are female and a little more .... revealing i consider moira ugly cause her propotions feel kinda wrong. she is very long even her face is long and her hair cmon ive seen lesbian punks with a better hair style.. (nothing against lesbians or punks they are awesome)

My point: Moira isnt well desinged and if someone calls her ugly i agree. she is ugly as hell. nevertheless she is what she is and if play her i dont have to look at her uglyness since i play her in first person^^ also emoting is not required so its fine by me. if u have any problems pls feel free to rreport me for this post idc. deal with the fact that humans are more attracted to "beautiful ppl" wich is one of the many reasons i'd totaly do it with DVA but not with moira if u know what i. mean.
Okay can we all just take a second to appreciate how <removed expletive> ugly Blizzard made Moira? I emphasize that Blizzard made her this way because some in the community may forget that these are not real people. So don't worry, Moira's feelings don't exist so they can't be hurt by me saying this.

Call me sexist or whatever you want but Blizzard has no problem releasing much more attractive not to mention shirtless buff Doomfist- the guy has 30inch biceps. While the 4 new female characters are: old <removed expletive>, scary, weird robot, troll in that order.

It's Blizzard's game, they can do whatever they want but seriously... Who are they trying to appeal to?

Does every female have to be super sexy-stereo type.... Obviously not. But this is a fantasy style hero shooter, not Battlefield 1, not everyone has to be ugly and covered head to toe... (again excluding male characters because for some odd reason it is okay for them to show more skin).

I know I'm just going to be labelled as a sexist pig but whatever, I'm really not that kind of person but I understand how this point is going to come accross. Humans are sexual beings... It's kinda how populations grow in case the concept is new to anyone. So it's not unnatural to create more attractive characters if you have control over that.

I've gone on long enough ...

So Blizzard, I applaud you for whatever point it is you're trying to make! Good work!

[Moderator note: edited for language]

You think Sombra looks scary? Bwahaha.

As for Moira she looks fine. Reminds me of a uptight countess trope.

Sincerely
A Moira main.

I looked at my post again and saw how unclear it was, so just to be 100% here:

You repeatedly thought "oh, someone is going to say I'm sexist", and that's a good sign that what you're saying is sexist. Instead of making this post at all, you should have reconsidered.

I don't think you're a bad guy! I think you have some glimmers of awareness. But here, the problem isn't that you're complaining about a specific fictional woman, it's because you're suggesting, in general, that women have to be attractive to you--even fictional ones, even in cases where it makes no sense that they would be wearing makeup or be supermodels or whatever.

Okay I have to reply again because I appreciate this response. I still feel that to appeal to a larger audience, me included, that they should make more stereotypically attractive characters? Or am in wrong that that would appeal to a larger audience? Maybe that thought alone truly is sexist to think?
01/15/2018 10:05 AMPosted by Checkomated
01/15/2018 09:06 AMPosted by tpfang56
Nah, he’s sexist and ignorant.

ah cmon feminazi be quiet pls. He has a point. i feel the same moira is ugly beyond reasoning ( even tho i have an entire account deticated to playing her) from a gameplay point of view she is beautiful. i love her fast past kind of playstyle. from a desing point of view she is ugly. also dont pretend to be high and mighty i bet even u consider some male characters in overwatch or in any other game ugly. and to be fair even tho i'd wish fopr a cahracter (or at least more skins) that are female and a little more .... revealing i consider moira ugly cause her propotions feel kinda wrong. she is very long even her face is long and her hair cmon ive seen lesbian punks with a better hair style.. (nothing against lesbians or punks they are awesome)

My point: Moira isnt well desinged and if someone calls her ugly i agree. she is ugly as hell. nevertheless she is what she is and if play her i dont have to look at her uglyness since i play her in first person^^ also emoting is not required so its fine by me. if u have any problems pls feel free to rreport me for this post idc. deal with the fact that humans are more attracted to "beautiful ppl" wich is one of the many reasons i'd totaly do it with DVA but not with moira if u know what i. mean.

Totally true, I can see that as a character Moira is awesome.
"I'm not sexist at all except I really am but I bring up some blurry arguments and irrelevant facts so I'm not sexist."

I know I'm just going to be labelled as a sexist pig but whatever, I'm really not that kind of person but I understand how this point is going to come accross. Humans are sexual beings... It's kinda how populations grow in case the concept is new to anyone. So it's not unnatural to create more attractive characters if you have control over that.

But in case that's the thing that set you off: there are ugly male characters too, don't worry, it's hardly unfair that we get a female one too.
01/15/2018 09:50 AMPosted by Hikaru
01/15/2018 09:41 AMPosted by ThePunisher
Oh so it's okay for boy characters to be old or fat or ugly or whatever but wow seriously why does her looks matter to you so much? People call girls who look in the mirror and care about how they look vain yet people tell them they have to be pretty and the "right" kind of pretty too. Women don't just exist for guys to look at I mean Moira is an evil scientist why does everything have to come back to someone's looks?

Like seriously people if society teaches how you look is the most important thing and if you look different from what most people want you’re not the right kind of pretty or even pretty at all and that makes so many people sad.

To quote Lucio who quotes Taylor Swift can't stop won't stop!

Oh Roadhog is way uglier by the way

Uh oh, I triggered the "Don't objectify women!" person. I agree, women should not be objectified. But I can also think that Moira is ugly af if I want =) again, remember, Moira isn't real lol

And when someone brings up a fair point they're triggered :/... Yeah idk

(You're free to think Moira is ugly, sure, idc, saying it's not okay that she's ugly and she should be pretty instead is different)