Why are many people obsessed with getting a high rank?

Competitive Discussion
Why is it so important to most people to have a high rank, as a pose to just being genuinely good at the game and having a fun, consistent competitive experience, making ranking up incidental and just a way of matching with people of a suitable skill level (which is really the fundamental point of the ranking system). This mindset seems to result in a lot of heartache and ultimately make people worse at the game it seems.
Because masters (could also be unlikely) and GM is where the competitive play is truly at. Every other rank is toxic it seems like
01/25/2018 12:23 AMPosted by TWELVYY
Every other rank is toxic it seems like

All ranks are highly toxic due to it being a supposed competition. It is further fueled by things like the OWL that make it appear like a video game is somehow important.
It was nicer when they had the number ranking in season 1.

There wasn't as much complaining about a "forced win rate" when people couldn't rank up so to speak.

These days when people lose that 1 game that would've promoted them, they come here on the forums and make up conspiracies.
I'm not so concerned about a high rank but I know my rank would be higher if there were a way to get 6stacks rolling. I wish there were a LFG. I could care less about my solo SR. I wanna see how I work in a congenial team.
For me it's the quality of the games. The higher you go in rank, the better the quality of the matches and hence the more fun the game is. I played from silver to high plat and i can tell you that the lower you go, the more un-fun the games are.
Because I don't want to be subject to a poorly designed PBSR algorithm.
01/25/2018 02:24 AMPosted by Hauven
Because I don't want to be subject to a poorly designed PBSR algorithm.

As if people didn't want to grind SR before Blizzard removed PBSR from 3k+
Eh . . .

You find yourself a good team willing to improve, train and be online.
People don't like their ranks because solo queuing in comp is broken,
i would prefer someone withing my portrait rank and comp rank range
so i know they have experience to back up their rank.

You have soo many inaccuracies like:
players being carried,
Good luck streaks.

I would like a new comp type to choose, seasoned or ranked.
Seasoned players of similar portrait rank will be matched up with similar
SR, and ranked is just usual old comp.
I don’t think they are necessarily obsessed but more irritated with the lack of even games. I doubt there would be a whole lot of frustration if people were not encountering trolls and throwers within the matchmaking system. If you take away that then each game becomes more winnable in an individual as eyes and you don’t feel defeated right off the bat.
01/25/2018 12:31 AMPosted by Izzy
01/25/2018 12:23 AMPosted by TWELVYY
Every other rank is toxic it seems like

All ranks are highly toxic due to it being a supposed competition. It is further fueled by things like the OWL that make it appear like a video game is somehow important.

It is a competition in the same sense that chess is one.
OWL does not make it "appear", it makes it be, since now there is hundreds of people living off playing overwatch as their main profession.

Your critic could go for ANY sport, and that proves that you are just salty and ignorant.
01/25/2018 12:42 AMPosted by Babanovac
For me it's the quality of the games. The higher you go in rank, the better the quality of the matches and hence the more fun the game is. I played from silver to high plat and i can tell you that the lower you go, the more un-fun the games are.

Yep, fairly happy in gold. Get the odd trickler, but in bronze, teams were like a herd of cats running all over the place. Trying to take even first point on 2 CP maps was a nightmare. Especially as I mained support.

Then I just went dps and got to gold.

Now I'm at the level where I need to get better to advance and I'm not being held back by dumb-!@# team mates (Nearly as much).
Eh . . .

I would like a new comp type to choose, seasoned or ranked.
Seasoned players of similar portrait rank will be matched up with similar
SR, and ranked is just usual old comp.

I actually like that idea. Give currency towards gold weapons in base comp and none in the seasoned comp. or maybe only flat payout of what rank you finish in seasoned. That way you don’t have casuals who are raccoons after shiny weapons.
I want ranked to be played for rank and rank alone. Playing for a gold gun is a stupid payout. Hell I would be happier if they gave out portraits based on your finish from last season.
I dont think people are obsessed with getting high rank, I think people are more "obsessed" with getting mostly fair matches via a more accurate ranking system
01/25/2018 06:35 AMPosted by Unordinary
I dont think people are obsessed with getting high rank, I think people are more "obsessed" with getting mostly fair matches via a more accurate ranking system

Exactly. I don’t hear a ton of people saying I could be gm/t500. I hear people say I could be higher if I had a team who wanted to play the game As a team. Ya you can have someone carry a team but if the opposing team focus’s down the carry hero then you are in a 5v6 the team could not handle when it was a 6v6 let alone down a man. Better matchmaking and more severe punishments on trollers/throwers would change this
It's the competitive nature of many to be better and gain personal satisfaction or in this case, show they are better through their personal ranks. This behavior exists in society and not exclusive to OverWatch.

A good psychological trap honestly. You keep playing and playing in the hope your SR number get higher and higher. You will never truly be satisfied and keep playing. Almost feels like playing Lotto at times.
Higher rank gets more comp points = more golden guns.
01/25/2018 07:12 AMPosted by Audaylon

Further reason to make golden guns winnable in qp
01/24/2018 11:58 PMPosted by Reneux
Why is it so important to most people to have a high rank, as a pose to just being genuinely good at the game and having a fun, consistent competitive experience, making ranking up incidental and just a way of matching with people of a suitable skill level (which is really the fundamental point of the ranking system). This mindset seems to result in a lot of heartache and ultimately make people worse at the game it seems.

To feel special that's why. Or at least, these people simply don't like to lose. Also the Competitive Points for the glorious Golden Weapons.
01/25/2018 10:53 AMPosted by damnitbinks
01/25/2018 07:12 AMPosted by Audaylon

Further reason to make golden guns winnable in qp

Personally, I'd rather they have an entirely different mode for that--like the "Competitive Scrimming" mode I've been clamoring for.

It can be like this:

- Quick Play rewards based on Exp & Level: Get shinier badges and loot boxes.

- Competitive Scrimming rewards based on number of wins: Able to buy Gold/Platinum/whatever weapons at 3000 points.

- Competitive rewards solely based on end-season rank: Unique Player Icons and other "trophies".