Regarding Blizzard using Social Media for bans

General Discussion
Jeff Kaplan, or really anyone on Team 4 who can speak on this: can we please get some clarification on what you all meant by this?

I'm seeing people make vids and tweets saying how pissed off they are at Jeff Kaplan's announcement in the latest dev update that Blizzard was starting to use social media to ban people.

I interpreted what was being said as 'Hey, so if we find video evidence on YouTube, Twitch, etc. of people in-game in matches being toxic or guilty of misconduct, we will ban you regardless of in-game reports done against you.' And I think that's commendable: taking the initiative and banning toxic players asap is what people want.

However, a lot of people seem to instead be interpreting what was being said as 'Hey, so if we find you saying or doing anything negative or that we don't like on any of your social media, related to Overwatch or not, we'll ban you in Overwatch.' That doesn't even make much sense to me for multiple reasons, but it seems an oddly large amount of people genuinely think that's the case. Granted, I think a lot of them are people who already don't like Overwatch and/or Blizzard and are just looking for more reasons to be against them, but, still.

Can we just please get some clarification on this?
I too would like to see some clarification on this.
They pretty much mean that anyone caught throwing matches, troll, abusive behavior, etc... they will be banned. Let those youtubers and twitch streamers rage.. Who cares, most of them are annoying and produce click bait content. If it means ridding this game of them, so be it. They rely on trolling for the views, let their channels die. If they truly like this game then they will be respectful and play the right way.
If you post a video where you are throwing, you deserve the ban.

If you are stupid enough to post evidence of your toxic behavior, blame yourself for the consequences.
I see it this way: Blizzard is aware that Overwatch is toxic. Nothing new and they try to deal with it ingame more and more. BUT:
The community doesn't only live in game.

When you can gain clicks and make money with videos on youtube in which you troll and throw games, blizzard will use these against you. Just because nobody reported you, you can still be banned.

I think they wanted to make this clear. Else there would be many posts about people crying about getting banned because they didn't know that video evidence is counting too. (There will be anyways, but hopefully less and less people trolling others for gaining attention)
I think you all are reaching with this.

There are people on youtube who do it for views that purposely toxic, for laughs.
I don't think they are going to create a department solely on this to enforce (i.e

"Brad said NarutoBoix9182 [Edited by Blizzard] !! He will pay for that !" )

Likewise if you are genuinely scared, well start playing nice playing fair. We can play games and not trashtalk win or lose.

Forum Mod Edit: This post has been edited by a moderator due to language. https://us.battle.net/forums/en/code-of-conduct/
"We now proactively seek out social media sites, like youtube, and look for incidents of toxic behavior and track down the accounts..."

if he is going to vague about what they are doing, then it is their fault if people do a plausible, or even logical interpretation of what he has stated.

1. He did not say what they would define as toxic behaviour.
2. He did NOT say that the toxic behavior had to have been done inside the game.

So the logical interpretation is that, now i can be banned for doing a Harambe meme, in a youtube comment.

As a blizzard fanboy, who has lost 10+ years to blizzard games (#NoRegret), i am thinking about deleting my account.
Even if this is just in game action, this is a disgusting overreach.
It shouldn't be too hard to understand.

If they are linked a video of someone being toxic then they will look into it. I'm pretty sure if they casually browse youtube (and other video streaming sites), they will find videos and live streams showing players being toxic.

Those people that love posting themselves or others being toxic in Overwatch just make it easier for Blizzard to weed them out.
01/27/2018 05:09 PMPosted by Kerub

So the logical interpretation is that, now i can be banned for doing a Harambe meme, in a youtube comment.

[/quote]

Totaly random, illogical and not even close to reality. Calm down.

Do you think Blizz and Google are exchanging IP adresses to check which youtube account belongs to whom and to filter comments?! Ajust your tin foil hat, mate.
01/27/2018 04:28 PMPosted by infoinfoinfo
Jeff Kaplan, or really anyone on Team 4 who can speak on this: can we please get some clarification on what you all meant by this?

I'm seeing people make vids and tweets saying how pissed off they are at Jeff Kaplan's announcement in the latest dev update that Blizzard was starting to use social media to ban people.

I interpreted what was being said as 'Hey, so if we find video evidence on YouTube, Twitch, etc. of people in-game in matches being toxic or guilty of misconduct, we will ban you regardless of in-game reports done against you.' And I think that's commendable: taking the initiative and banning toxic players asap is what people want.

However, a lot of people seem to instead be interpreting what was being said as 'Hey, so if we find you saying or doing anything negative or that we don't like on any of your social media, related to Overwatch or not, we'll ban you in Overwatch.' That doesn't even make much sense to me for multiple reasons, but it seems an oddly large amount of people genuinely think that's the case. Granted, I think a lot of them are people who already don't like Overwatch and/or Blizzard and are just looking for more reasons to be against them, but, still.

No it isnt commendable it freaking oppressive and orwellian. No wonder we have tyrants constantly rising when they all got people like you who have no care about power restraining. I aint an employee of Blizzard I am a consumer. They have no business to police me via my Social media. I am not employee so they have no right to do so. They have no right to spy on my Social Media and determine my ban before I even done anything (which is what Kaplan said).

I am also pretty sure least in EU and UK it breaches data protection and laws. If they want to give me a wage then I police me if they want.
As a blizzard fanboy, who has lost 10+ years to blizzard games (#NoRegret).

Then you should know better than others how to correctly interpret what was said. Hint: Your way off track.

its quite obvious its the first.. or the second one IF he has several videos, probably uploaded by himself doing the same things
This is what it implies. It wasn't very clear, and they really need to clarify the statement, but what it implies is that if there's evidence on another site of someone breaking the rules ingame, like a YouTube video of a toxic player, that player can get punished for breaking those rules without needing a lot of reports to get noticed.
That being said, people are losing their minds over conclusions that they themselves have made up. It's embarrassing.
01/27/2018 05:23 PMPosted by Henicide
They have no right to spy on my Social Media and determine my ban before I even done anything (which is what Kaplan said).
No, that's not what he said. What he said was "...action them, often times before anybody’s even reported them or they’ve shown up in any other place". This does not say "before they've broken the rules".
They have no business to police me via my Social media.
That's not what they're doing. Blizzard doesn't care what you say on social media. You think they're going to comb through millions and millions of twitter accounts or facebook comments or youtube threads? Come on.
I mean the last time they made a vague statement and refused to clarify, we had “The Great Off Meta Purge” so uh

Maybe they should clarify
Jeff says that they can use it to deal out punishment before your reported.
That later part indicates that they only act on stuff that is reportable, so I dont see a problem with it. The more throwers and toxic people that get shut down quick the better for the game.

No it isnt commendable it freaking oppressive and orwellian. No wonder we have tyrants constantly rising when they all got people like you who have no care about power restraining. I aint an employee of Blizzard I am a consumer. They have no business to police me via my Social media. I am not employee so they have no right to do so. They have no right to spy on my Social Media and determine my ban before I even done anything (which is what Kaplan said).

I am also pretty sure least in EU and UK it breaches data protection and laws. If they want to give me a wage then I police me if they want.

Lemme focus on this here:

"They have no right to spy on my Social Media and determine my ban before I even done anything (which is what Kaplan said)."

Again, I wouldn't have made this post if it was that obvious Kaplan meant it that way. The way he said it is honestly somewhat vague, hence why people are believing it either way, and hence why I made this post to begin with, asking for clarification.

Also, I never said the latter case was commendable: I said the former was. And in my former case, your ban wouldn't be before you had even done anything: your ban would be coming from video evidence of you doing something bad in a match.

I'm having a hard time believing what Blizzard's up to is against any policies or laws. I feel like they'd be in deep [Edited by Blizzard] if it were, and Kaplan wouldn't have gone and happily announced what they're up to for us all to know if that were the case.

Forum Mod Edit: This post has been edited by a moderator due to language. https://us.battle.net/forums/en/code-of-conduct/
I think what they mean is that if a YouTuber or streamer is toxic/cheating/griefing/etc., that media can used to support or deny their suspension. I don't think the devs are going to be screening your social media to see if you say bad things and dish out punishment.
So let me get this straight. A company that doesn't seem to have time to manually review reports / has GMs that ban for officially non-bannable reasons (see one tricking threads latest) now has the time to find people to ban via social media even when people aren't reporting them...

I neither trust the GMs to review YouTube videos, confirm that they are in fact not altered (because video editing is impossible apparantly), nor believe based on all evidence of admin resources seen so far that you even have the resources for this.