[Feedback Thread] Mercy Updates - Jan 30, 2018

General Discussion
Prev 1 76 77 78 237 Next
Mercy is dead
I just had a thought about how if we give Mercy the ability to AoE rez (2-3 bodies wide) while ulting? Or the idea about giving her charge meter for rez seems to be fun to explore at least.

When doing the charge meter, I feel the charging can be done like how it's done with Torb's meter. The higher the charge, either reduce casting time of rez, or do instant rez but health restored according to percentage of charge meter.

EDIT: Or heck, charging the meter by the amount of boosted damage seems fun also.
Thanks to everyone for taking the time to write up thoughtful feedback here. We're reading the responses daily.
Just thought I would throw my two cents in on this. This so called nerf, which I hope is the last one received for this character has been a literal !@#$ show. I can't remember any other nerf or rework done to any of the other characters getting this kind of backlash and mockery from the community. Some changes were justified and others not. The speed decrease was deserved and needed to be done, but the Resurrect change was just to far. Now Mercy has the worst and least game changing ultimate out of all of the support characters. Blizzards main goal should be to balance all support characters and bring them all to an equal level. Not nerf one specific character into the ground just to make the pick rate for other healers go up.
I've been playing a lot of Mercy, and she has become one of my favorite heroes (which means a lot, considering I have at least 250 hours on Junkrat alone).

A small nerf to her ult would be understandable, even with a speed reduction and no extra rez charge. However, now no one dares attempt a rez during ult (which can be the most important time to rez!), because it takes way too long, and now you guaranteed die if you try.

TBH, in the last 2 evenings I have played since the nerf went live, I saw maybe 3 other Mercy picks (when I didn't play her). No one is playing her in my matches! In fact people are saying "don't go Mercy". It used to be (since Moira came out) that every team always had 2 healers, without even asking. Now its pulling teeth to even get one healer.

In all fairness, I may have just been having an "off" few days with playing, and I know I am an average-rank player, but in the past little while, I have gone from 2490 to 1977 SR as teams are trying to adapt to these changes. Needless to say, it makes all of my efforts to hit Plat this season feel pretty pointless.
I'm getting so tired of overwatch. The only thing that kept me there was the pleasure I felt playing mercy, but not anymore.
I feel like this is how Mercy should work. It’ll be an easy skill for new players to pick up and will provide counter play against Resurrect.

So her ultimate becomes Resurrect
- The first initial cast will start her Resurrect AOE ultimate.
- It starts off as a non existent radius which will grow in size the longer she keeps her ultimate in its cast time.
- Initial Cast will slow Mercy down by about 50%
- Her GA won’t be able to be used during her ultimate cast time. or it can but it will be 50% slower
- She can be CC’d out of her ultimate
- She can be killed out of her ultimate
- Booping her will push her away from her dead allies.
- For survivability she gains the passive regen that can’t be interrupted
- Allies need to be in LOS of her AOE Resurrect in order to be revived
- Cast time will be 1.75 seconds for 5M of range and after that the range of the circle will increase drastically the more she stays on cast time and can cap at 4 Seconds and work out how far the AOE Resurrect ring will cap after the 4 seconds.
- Uninterrupted Passive Regen will continue 3 seconds after the cast of Resurrect so she can survive damage until her team comes back from Resurrect invulnerability.
- Pushing Q again will end the cast time and Resurrect whoever was in the ring.

Her E ability becomes Valkyrie to give her the mid fight potential push she needs.
- Valkyrie doesn’t give the passive regen that’s uninterrupted.
- Valkyrie lasts 5 seconds on a 30 second cooldown if it's too long can be changed to 20 seconds
- The Speed nerfs to GA on live aren’t terrible and will keep the ability in line.
- Surrounding Players around the initial beam target will have half the amount coming from her beam. Which will make Mercy players think about who to cast the inital Beam target too.
- Let her have the increased GA range but shorten the range of her beam so she can't fly really high into the sky and still reach her team.

Then let her enjoy that bunnyhop mechanic because it's the best thing you gave to her.

I think this would be the way to go. Putting Resurrect on a cast time has proven to be successful in regards to people playing cautiously the Mercy player and her teammates. But I think it needs to be more rewarding for completing the cast time. Mercy needs to have counter play to Mass Resurrect while still providing an impact to the mid fight which she was lacking (Still does feel like she's lacking engagement to the fight). Putting Valkyrie as her E ability would be great because it acts as a tool to help your team engage and disengage effectively. Putting Resurrect on a cast time was proven to be healthy but it shouldn’t be that way on an ability it rewards Mercy players no matter how good they are or bad they are they will always receive a really powerful ability. Whereas Valkyrie just feels weak in comparison to other ultimates. Having it shorter and on an ability will give Mercy that mid fight ability to help her team out securing kills. Putting Resurrect back to her ultimate with an LOS and cast time AOE and making it significantly harder to get by increasing the points needed to get ultimate will be beneficial. It will promote Mercy’s to use Valkyrie effectively and use it in order to gain Resurrect which will increase the skill ceiling of the character. Mercy will feel more engaging in Teamfights as well as effective in the ultimate game if she successfully pulls off a Resurrect, but it will still have counters due to the cast time and the LOS requirement.
Return the old ultimate with 1.75 delay and without invulnerability. That s all. Balanced
I have 100+ hours on 6 characters, 350 hours on Mercy, and 300 hours on Tracer. However, I had to make a new account just to NOT play Mercy (and still have fun playing Tracer), because the second that playtime bar for her is at the top, you suddenly are a one-trick Mercy.

People need to stop the "one-tricks are whining" excuse, because you are probably the one who is forcing them to be that. I have two accounts in Masters, and I'm somehow a "one-trick" who should "never play again" on one account, and a "solid dps/zen flex" on the other. No one has the right to criticize people, regardless of skill, for playing a character they are unwilling to play themselves. They are probably better at Tracer than you are, but one is a team player while the other only cares about their kp10m stats. Get off this thread if all you have to say is "one-trick Mercy"; you are the idiotic problem with this game. That is why you get so many defensive supports on here, because they are often bullied into roles and abused when it doesn't pan out, especially on console. If you play support, especially Mercy, you get one hate message a session, at least. It is the position of team punching bag, especially in GM. If you think it works bringing that here, you are sorely mistaken.

Thought thay needed to be said.
I feel like this is how Mercy should work. It’ll be an easy skill for new players to pick up and will provide counter play against Resurrect.

So her ultimate becomes Resurrect
- The first initial cast will start her Resurrect AOE ultimate.
- It starts off as a non existent radius which will grow in size the longer she keeps her ultimate in its cast time.
- Initial Cast will slow Mercy down by about 50%
- Her GA won’t be able to be used during her ultimate cast time.
- She can be CC’d out of her ultimate
- She can be killed out of her ultimate
- Booping her will push her away from her dead allies.
- For survivability she gains the passive regen that can’t be interrupted
- Allies need to be in LOS of her AOE Resurrect in order to be revived

Her E ability becomes Valkyrie to give her the mid fight potential push she needs.
- Valkyrie doesn’t give the passive regen that’s uninterrupted.
- Valkyrie lasts 5 seconds on a 30 second cooldown
- The Speed nerfs to GA on live aren’t terrible and will keep the ability in line.

I think this would be the way to go. Putting Resurrect on a cast time has proven to be successful in regards to people playing cautiously the Mercy player and her teammates. But I think it needs to be more rewarding for completing the cast time. Mercy needs to have counter play to Mass Resurrect while still providing an impact to the mid fight which she was lacking. Putting Valkyrie as her E ability would be great because it acts as a tool to help your team engage and disengage effectively. Putting Resurrect on a cast time was proven to be healthy but it shouldn’t be that way on an ability it rewards Mercy players no matter how good they are or bad they are they will receive a really powerful ability. Whereas Valkyrie just feels weak in comparison to other ultimates. Having it shorter and on an ability will give Mercy that mid fight ability to help her team out securing kills. Putting Resurrect back to her ultimate with an LOS and cast time AOE and making it significantly harder to get by increasing the points needed to get ultimate will be beneficial. It will promote Mercy’s to use Valkyrie effectively and use it in order to gain Resurrect which will increase the skill ceiling of the character.
I had thought about something like this once, but with Ressurect restoring HP depending on death duration (longer death = less HP restored). But considering Blizzard has stated that they don't want to reward hiding, I don't think they would want this anyway.
Can't see what the new update should help on mercy. It basically just made her worse. I'm hopefully not alone but I'm starting to get angry that they keep changing her. Why shall it take 100 years to ress one with ult? Is a ULT!! Ult should make a character special.

Now it just like the ability that also take 100 years to succeed.
Just remove the ress, and let her be like Zen and heal the whole team. Instead of make her cripple and use all her ult time to pretty much to ress only ONE!

I miss the old mercy were her ult just could ress a whole team and I had a good felling when I rarely ressed 5 people. I understand why people was annoyed by it. But then again when you did play. The players was half of the time not smart enough, to die close to each other, so you could 9 out 10 times only ress like 2 to 3.

What would have changed on her.

Remove her ability to ress players when she is not in her ult.
Put a limited to how high she can fly when she is on her ult.
Let her max ress 2 per ult.
Give her a some sort of ability that could help her to protect her self. Like a flash like maccree to stund players few seconds to escape.
I know she have her ability to fly to a teammate. But when you have no one you can run to. It would be nice to have chance to run away.

That's just few things I can think of I would have done to her. But I'm afraid people will never be happy with her.

Till then.
Rip mercy
How about to try the double Caduceus in "Valkyrie"? I mean healing and boost together, that there is no need to switch modes.
I've been wondering about the philosophy behind trying so long for the Valkyrie rework to, well, work.
What's the reason for you refusing to switch back to rez-ult?
Highly Rated
02/01/2018 09:03 AMPosted by Jeff Kaplan
Thanks to everyone for taking the time to write up thoughtful feedback here. We're reading the responses daily.
daddy gimme back my mercy
Give mercy a bit skill-dependent ability pls.
Mercy 1.0 in the right hands can res x5, mercy 2.0 now can res x1 in any hands, this is awful.
I want to see more difference between good and bad mercy, and wanna see strong, but hard-to-use ability instead of res which we have now (res now is or easy-to-use, or impossible, depending on the situation)

Which I'm glad about, but I'm concerned that there's been nothing to address all of the other Mercy feedback megathreads (in PTR and here) and by the lack of "likely" iterations.
Highly Rated
how exactly do you think the rework is a “success”? what part? are you planning on leaving her like this or changing her? Your little “thanks” doesn’t really answer a lot questions, but thanks for finally replying after we’ve posted thousands of comments on many mercy megathreads.
Before anyone upvotes or downvotes this post, I ask of you to take some time to read this, before you pass any judgement. If you'd like, there's a TLDR at the bottom of this post. Apologies in advance for the long post.

Here we go. I know the vast majority of Mercy players recognise that before 30 Jan, a Mercy nerf was needed. We know how much power a cooldown ability like Resurrect can hold in a game. I would think that most Mercy players will agree that having Resurrect as a cooldown ability is overpowered, no matter which way you change it.

In Mercy 1.0, Mercy had to be engaged actively in the fight, because she had to charge her ultimate quickly to prepare for the incoming team fight. When the team fight breaks out, a proficient Mercy will duck for cover. This is why most teams didn't run solo Mercy as support. Having any other healer like Lucio or Zenyatta helped to sustain the fight and draw it out for as long as they can. When the time was right, Mercy can then rush out to resurrect her team. This was what we called “Hide and Seek Rez”

In Mercy 2.0 however, Mercy doesn't need to be engaged in the fight to resurrect anyone, because the cooldown is always there. It doesn't matter how engaged Mercy was with her team, she could resurrect every 30 seconds. She could have been actively healing and damage boosting her team for the span of 30 seconds and resurrected one team member, or she could have been sitting in a corner and do nothing for 30 seconds, then still be able to resurrect one team member.

I hope you see how broken the Mercy 2.0 kit is. By introducing this Jan 30 nerf to her, she has become less engaging during fights. It didn't matter if she was an active healer or a Battle Mercy, she still can only resurrect one team member, no matter the situation. This proves that the rework to Mercy 1.0 has failed in trying to get Mercy to be more engaging in battle. While Mercy 1.0 hid during massive teamfights, she had to be engaged at any other time so she can charge her Resurrect. Mercy 2.0 requires no active engagement at all to be able to make a Resurrection impact on the game.

Hence, this is why many of us Mercy players feel that a revert to Mercy 1.0 is the best solution to this issue. Having such a powerful ability like Resurrect on an Ultimate meter is the proper direction her kit should be headed in. This will encourage Mercy to be more engaged in fights, and be more active in helping her team.

We are not asking for a direct revert back to Mercy 1.0, and we are certainly very open to any changes or compromises we may have to come to regarding her original 1.0 kit. Much like all other players, we're asking for what is best for our favourite hero.

TLDR: Rez as E ability is OP, despite whatever nerfs. Mercy 1.0 required active engagement to pull off resurrect, while Mercy 2.0 requires no active engagement to pull off resurrect, hence Rez as E ability is OP. Rework did not fix issue of Mercy being inactive during fights. Revert to Mercy 1.0, welcome to any changes or compromises to her original 1.0 kit.

Thank you for reading.
I completely agree with this nerf, but since her ult is almost useless, You could add an instant res at least. Please, make her COMFORTABLE. Yes, res is a very powerful ability, but even with it Mercy is weaker than Moira. Moira's spheres are too OP. She overheals Mercy, she has no dangerous abilities that can kill her (like standing 2 seconds still as Mercy), and she can kill anybody 1vs1. Just make them both equal. Make Mercy great again ;(