What Happened to Korean Teams at OWL?

General Discussion
Just curious why? London Spitfire lost to Boston Uprising & New York Excelsior lost to Philadelphia Fusion. I know the Uprising & the Fusion have at least 1 Korean player but it's pretty surprising. No hate, no racism like "the Korean teams must win OWL & never get defeated by Western teams" no, but that's a very fun & satisfying play yet a significant improvement from those winners.
Uprising is like 60% Korean
01/26/2018 07:19 AMPosted by TheReinhardt

Close.

Their starting line up is 50%. 3 Korean, 1 American, 1 Canadian and 1... from Denmark, whatever "ian" that is. lol

The American (Dreamkazper) is considered to be the best player by some, though.
01/26/2018 07:16 AMPosted by Kagetora
Just curious why? London Spitfire lost to Boston Uprising & New York Excelsior lost to Philadelphia Fusion. I know the Uprising & the Fusion have at least 1 Korean player but it's pretty surprising. No hate, no racism like "the Korean teams must win OWL & never get defeated by Western teams" no, but that's a very fun & satisfying play yet a significant improvement from those winners.

You can’t expect teams to stay undefeated. That was a must win for Uprising since they were 1-3 and toppling a good team would make people talk about them again.

Don’t forget that League is fairly new so teams are adjusting to other teams. London is weak on KOTH maps and Boston took full advantage of that.
Well you can check the matches on Twitch, there was nothing weird, they basically got outplayed in key moments that allowed Boston and Fusion to get the points. Fights were supertight, good matches to watch
01/26/2018 07:21 AMPosted by Coulumbo
01/26/2018 07:19 AMPosted by TheReinhardt

Close.

Their starting line up is 50%. 3 Korean, 1 American, 1 Canadian and 1... from Denmark, whatever "ian" that is. lol

The American (Dreamkazper) is considered to be the best player by some, though.

Not only one of the most skilled but also one of the smartest. I loved that he would go Pharah for the first attack on control maps and would quickly switch off when they lost the point. I wish more DPS players were like this.
01/26/2018 07:21 AMPosted by Coulumbo
and 1... from Denmark, whatever "ian" that is. lol

[/quote]
Small fact of the day: The people of Denmark are called Danish, or Danes.

Anyways, on topic, even great players make mistakes, they have strengths and weaknesses, and the other teams played very well into their weaknesses. Those were good matches by the way, very enjoyable.
If you think the Carpe/Shadowburn tag team on dps cant hang with Koreans teams idk what you're watching. DPS is very important and the tanks and support play well enough that carpe/shadowburn can put them over the top.
New York would have full held on Anubis if there Roadhog had not overextended and thrown his life away. That combined with questionable at best ult usage lead to that upset.
01/26/2018 10:01 AMPosted by Snorlax
If you think the Carpe/Shadowburn tag team on dps cant hang with Koreans teams idk what you're watching. DPS is very important and the tanks and support play well enough that carpe/shadowburn can put them over the top.

Carpe was so outclassed when he tried to Widow on Dorado that it was a little sad.
It’s probably rigged to keep viewers interested.
01/26/2018 10:07 AMPosted by Devils
01/26/2018 10:01 AMPosted by Snorlax

Carpe was so outclassed when he tried to Widow on Dorado that it was a little sad.

He also held his own on Ilios, win some lose some. He outclasses most others on tracer...just cause he had an off match doesn't mean he can't hang.
It's almost like players can have good games and bad games. When we are talking about pros like these teams, even playing just a little off can result in a swing one way or the other.
01/26/2018 10:07 AMPosted by ill
It’s probably rigged to keep viewers interested.

I don't think its rigged unless announcers don't know. I was laughing at the idiot last night. "NY up going into round 4, hopefully its the last round"...Philly wins round 4 "AND ANOTHER MATCH GOING TO 5 ROUNDS LIKE WE ALL WANTED" Like wut dude? You just said you hope it doesn't.
People have been saying that infrastructure, support and work ethic were what made Koreans strong, and it's spreading to other teams. Quite a few full Korean teams have already stated that there isn't really a skill gap anymore and this reflects that.
Could be that pro's are developing skills/strategies to win against a team after having plenty of time to observe them.

I thought the Boston Uprising vs. London Spitfire matches were great. And Uprising only won on the Tie Breaker. The match was more exciting to watch because it wasn't a sweep. One-sided fights aren't fun to watch after awhile.
01/26/2018 10:39 AMPosted by JadeDragon
Could be that pro's are developing skills/strategies to win against a team after having plenty of time to observe them.

I thought the Boston Uprising vs. London Spitfire matches were great. And Uprising only won on the Tie Breaker. The match was more exciting to watch because it wasn't a sweep. One-sided fights aren't fun to watch after awhile.

Yea I don't get why OP has an issue. Last night were some of the most exciting matches since US vs SK...I was actually pumped when Philly pulled it off I stood up in my chair and shouted (from the Philly area went full fan mode its an exciting time for Philly fans right now to begin with). I never thought I'd get this into the league, but I actually enjoy it a ton and its because (with the exception of a few games) the skill between teams feels pretty good and like anyone could beat anyone on a given day.

Only problem is it makes the game feel bad to play after watching, just not the same game in gold/plat where you either stomp completely or get stomped completely on any given day...hardly do you ever get a fun match where you don't mind losing because both teams were evenly matched and played hard. :(
Even the best still lose sometimes.... The best teams in the NHL, NFL, NBA etc. still don't win every game in a season.
I haven't followed London at all, but I have a feeling New York was spending too much time prepping for Seoul, and probably thought yesterday's match wouldn't be an issue. Not to mention Pine was playing poorly, even though he kept their win record on control maps the same.
The reason the Koreans were so dominant before is A: they take esports more seriously, so they put more effort into the other aspects of the game with the appropriate mindset to coaches and team coordination and B: They were generally isolated from western teams, so their strategies and level of execution was not present in the other regions. Raw skill is almost never cited as the reason the Korean teams being dominant. Just the performance of the Boston Uprising alone, an eclectic team of multiple nationalities, is enough to show that it is possible to catch up with the Korean teams. The fact that the Philadelphia Fusion, an all European team, did the same is also proof that we are learning and we will catch up.