Banned for Playing "Battle Mercy"

General Discussion
Now, I was not the one to be banned, but rather someone else I had in my game.

I logged in for my daily dose of Competitive to try and reduce how much I've decayed. I usually play Lucio, Moira, and sometimes Zenyatta. I don't trust myself to play Ana at that level, and I refuse to play Mercy since they reworked her.

I joined the game, and I insta-locked Lucio like usual. Then, we had a D.Va, Roadhog, Moira, and Tracer. The last person locked Mercy after everyone else locked in, and I assumed it was a "We need a Mercy to win, Lucio is trash" player like usual (the amount of times people pick another support to get me off Lucio is stupid, despite me being a pretty good Lucio, but that's another issue).

So, I talked with the Moira, and they switched to Genji for me since I can't play any DPS other than Sombra, and no one likes having a Sombra on their team. But, once the match started, the Mercy said "stay on Moira, I'm DPS." I was really confused, and thought she was joking, until halfway through the first round.

The Mercy was only using her pistol, refused to Resurrect anyone on the team, and kept running/flying into the enemy team 1v6.

I ended up switching to Moira to try and solo heal, and we managed to pull a win on the first round.

The next round, the Mercy started AFKing in spawn because my team was telling her to stop playing "Battle Mercy." One member said that she had done this all of the last game, and to just report her, which we all did.

We ended up losing the game, of course. (Somehow I managed 43% team damage healed as a solo-healing Moira, but we lost every fight with the 5v6.)

She argued that she can't be reported for playing a hero a certain way, especially since she told us that she would be playing "DPS Mercy."

The next day, I get a notification that one of my reports was successful and resulted in action against the person. She was the only person I've reported in a month, so I know it was her who was banned.

My questions are;
1. Is playing Battle Mercy a bannable offense?
2. Should this person have been banned for their actions (seems to be yes for AFK, feeding, and poor teamwork.)
Highly Rated
Afk is bannable
In my opinion, yes she should be banned. She was basically throwing the match, especially at your ELO.
In the code of conduct's opinion, she should not be banned. She was playing a hero the way she wanted, even though she wasn't doing well.
Yes.
A healer intentionally not healing is throwing. There is nothing wrong with using Mercy's pistol when you need to, but intentionally never once healing as Mercy, Ana, Lucio, Zen, Moira, etc is throwing.
i would reported her as well.. if she wants to go dps, then pick dps. mercys pistol is good for self defense but not that great overall.
Intentionally not helping their team? Check.

Refusing to communicate? Check.

AFKing in spawn? Check.

Yes they should be and I hope they get banned.
01/29/2018 12:46 PMPosted by Rythix
Now, I was not the one to be banned, but rather someone else I had in my game.

I logged in for my daily dose of Competitive to try and reduce how much I've decayed. I usually play Lucio, Moira, and sometimes Zenyatta. I don't trust myself to play Ana at that level, and I refuse to play Mercy since they reworked her.

I joined the game, and I insta-locked Lucio like usual. Then, we had a D.Va, Roadhog, Moira, and Tracer. The last person locked Mercy after everyone else locked in, and I assumed it was a "We need a Mercy to win, Lucio is trash" player like usual (the amount of times people pick another support to get me off Lucio is stupid, despite me being a pretty good Lucio, but that's another issue).

So, I talked with the Moira, and they switched to Genji for me since I can't play any DPS other than Sombra, and no one likes having a Sombra on their team. But, once the match started, the Mercy said "stay on Moira, I'm DPS." I was really confused, and thought she was joking, until halfway through the first round.

The Mercy was only using her pistol, refused to Resurrect anyone on the team, and kept running/flying into the enemy team 1v6.

I ended up switching to Moira to try and solo heal, and we managed to pull a win on the first round.

The next round, the Mercy started AFKing in spawn because my team was telling her to stop playing "Battle Mercy." One member said that she had done this all of the last game, and to just report her, which we all did.

We ended up losing the game, of course. (Somehow I managed 43% team damage healed as a solo-healing Moira, but we lost every fight with the 5v6.)

She argued that she can't be reported for playing a hero a certain way, especially since she told us that she would be playing "DPS Mercy."

The next day, I get a notification that one of my reports was successful and resulted in action against the person. She was the only person I've reported in a month, so I know it was her who was banned.

My question is; is playing Battle Mercy a bannable offense? Should she have been banned, or should she have been given slack?
You have to violations and that mercy deserved the ban you have one behavior that would be the equivalent to throwing, and the other behavior of going afk, which since he got salty be cause you won without him the damaging mercy was upset and felt what little he did help still helped resulting in him being more AFK... This is all conjecture though but serves him right if you dont want to win then don't play...

[/quote]

Either the other team was dumb as !@#$, or the mercy was doing pretty good battling. If a player is actively seeking a win with his/her team, I wouldn't consider battling mercy to be bannable.
01/29/2018 12:54 PMPosted by ChiliOil

Either the other team was dumb as !@#$, or the mercy was doing pretty good battling. If a player is actively seeking a win with his/her team, I wouldn't consider battling mercy to be bannable.

The Mercy was never engaged with any of the fights, and usually flew in way after our team died to try and 1v6, and always died. Any fight we won usually equated to the Tracer and I diving their supports, and the tanks surviving long enough for me to get back to heal them.

I honestly think they were letting us win because they were extremely confused with what our Mercy was doing. After that, they stomped us with no competition.
That's totally throwing. I don't care if she told you ahead of time she was going to do that, it's denying the best healer to someone who might use that slot for good. The AFK just seals the deal.

BTW - 43% damage healed as Moira is pretty impressive.
01/29/2018 12:56 PMPosted by Rythix
01/29/2018 12:54 PMPosted by ChiliOil

The Mercy was never engaged with any of the fights, and usually flew in way after our team died to try and 1v6, and always died. Any fight we won usually equated to the Tracer and I diving their supports, and the tanks surviving long enough for me to get back to heal them.

I honestly think they were letting us win because they were extremely confused with what our Mercy was doing. After that, they stomped us with no competition.

I have no question in banning THAT particular player, but I don't think "battling mercy" itself is an instant ban without any question. Several healers constantly face decision to whether heal or damage and if damage is the better choice I don't see a problem with that. It is only questionnable when healing is an *obviously* better choice.

I
A healer who refuses to consistently heal means that the hero is not being played to the best of its ability.
100% a reason to report and getting banned.

Would be the same if you'd play healer soldier, not attacking anyone and only placing your biotic field for healing.

Also if you throw the game on purpose (always walking in 1v6 without communication, not trying to win etc) then yes. You can be banned.
No battle Mercy is not reportable. Refusing to heal, or rez teammates and staying afk in spawn however is reportable.
01/29/2018 12:48 PMPosted by DabOnEmHater
Afk is bannable

This is the main crux.

If she just played normally (for her anyways) you might've actually won the match.
I'm a big fan of not micro-managing your team, i.e. giving someone a chance to prove themselves on an unconventional pick or a risky strategy, or allowing for the fact that they may sincerely make some errors. So if the situation had been simply, "huh, I think our Mercy is using her pistol too much", I wouldn't report that player.

But if someone announces ahead of time that they won't heal, flies in 1v6, and then AFKs, that is textbook throwing on at least three levels. Definitely 100% reportable.
A healer not healing is the same as a Soldier 76 only healing with his biotic and not shooting anyone or a Torbjorn who doesn't put down a turret. It's not playing the character as intended and therefore trolling/griefing. You can play a character poorly but at least as intended.
Flying into the team 1v6 over and over is called "feeding" and is a bannable offense.

That player knew they were trolling, and I don't feel sorry for them. Now, using Mercy's pistol more often, and not just being a heal bot, is not a bannable offense. I've had games with Mercy where I whipped out my pistol quite often, but still had a lot of heals / rezzes.
That person isn't smart. If I pick soldier and refuse to shoot and call myself a healer, and all I place is my biotic field, it's an obvious throw.
I picked lucio today because my go to healer, moira, was already picked. A level 1000 player told me that if i wanted to heal go torbjorn since he's more useful than Lucio. I refused and did my best. The guy and his friend picked widow and dva and kept killing themselves over and over because I didnt pick Mercy. It's not the first time it happens and it certainly wont be the last. Ive lost my diamond rating because of it and it's seriously annoying what Mercy has become in this game