Overwatch CANNOT AFFORD Situational Heroes.

General Discussion
Unless "situational Heroes" are buffed to be viable again, then their counters will be unconventionally applicable, and we will be left with the meta OF said counters i.e Genji, Tracer, Sombra, OWL dive dive dive.

Having "situational heroes" enforces meta even more than a role que!
Agreed, if you don't want certain heroes to be played, than it leaves only some to fill the gaps, thus they become meta.
If the situational heroes are buffed to be strong in there roles. For example, if the defense heroes were better on defense than the offenses then the offense heroes will be restricted much more than they are now.
I think you should let OWL as example go. More is available at every rank and will be played some need a little love sure. But to have OWL as measure is wrong by any standard sure that is the most effective strategy but ask yourself how many times do you play that same strat with succes? I think only the upper layer of the ladder comes close.
Mei isnt really situational as she just needs a buff, but no one would cap a point if sym and torb were buffed. If you dont want situational heroes than heroes that are built on being situational have to be deleted.
No matter how much the team can try, they’ll never eliminate niche picks. Meta becomes established because human nature favors consistency and repetition. Sure you fix niche picks today and make them viable, but what heroes end up taking their place at the bottom of the toy bin?

The other problem is with rapid balancing. The community likes to complain about “slow balancing” in Overwatch, but ignores the implications of “fast balancing”. You can’t just change 4 heroes in major ways at once without serious negative consequences rearing their heads. It’s why Ana was the way she was when released. She was immediately deemed too weak, given huge buffs right off the bat then became an unstoppable force only to be nerfed into the ground mere weeks later. Balancing in a game across many maps, heroes and perceived play styles takes time. I will admit I think the process could pick up the pace just a bit, but overall rapid balancing is a bad idea.
Situational heroes are already strong at their roles.

Bastion, Torb and Symmetra are a strong defensive combo when you throw in a Rein and Orisa shield. It doesn't need to buff.
If you think about it, Symmetra, Torbjorn, Mei, and Sombra should actually counter Tracer and Genji. That's what their kits are designed to do. They've just never been good enough to actually do it.
Easy solution for "Situational" heroes.

Give them really useful Ultimates.

That way, they aren't great at most situations, but when it comes to clutch impact plays, they make a world of difference.
01/29/2018 06:29 PMPosted by GreyFalcon
Easy solution for "Situational" heroes.

Give them really useful Ultimates.

That way, they aren't great at most situations, but when it comes to clutch impact plays, they make a world of difference.

Well, Sombra has one of the best ultimates in the game (at pretty much every rank above gold/plat) but still isn't picked too often since she doesn't do much else. Her ult charges fast, comboes with pretty much every other ult in the game, but the rest of her kit is so underwhelming she's played very rarely (and you don't see too many sombra mains either).
there is ALWAYS going to be a meta of what majority of the teams in OWL play.. that is just the way it is.... Look at DotA and LoL for example... there is always going to be optimal heroes.

people need to adjust their expectations of balance.