lack of diversity in Overwatch League

Competitive Discussion
01/11/2018 06:49 PMPosted by soapmaker
Blizzard / Blues,

Due to the inconsistent engagement from Blizzard staff on delicate topics, combined with the toxic environment produced by the most vocal of posters, the official forums do not seem to be the correct venue for a civil discussion on this topic.

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2018/01/no-girls-allowed-dissecting-the-gender-imbalance-i.html

Where and how to broach this topic with Blizzard?

In life you earn things, you don't get anything worth it handed to you on a silver platter unless your parents still support ya. You earn !@#$, despite the notion of this new entitlement revolution.

point - you deserve it you get it. Just because you don't/can't doesn't mean theres a conspiracy/discrimination against you. The fallacies these people believe.

If I was butthurt over everything that didn't go my way i'd be a millionaire. I'd have a novel of discrimination... none of it matters... earn something, trying to implicate justifications that aren't true doesn't help your cuase.. and trying to exploit social issues in a context that doesn't exist is just a low man... get a grip.. now on the other side i'm not one that doesn't think social issues are non-exisistent, they do, but not here not in the myraid of ways people try to proclaim they exist either.
01/11/2018 07:00 PMPosted by Rhae

There is one professional black player, and no (I believe) hispanics

[/quote]

Not true. iRemix is Peurto Rican, Hydration is part Brazilian, Nomy is Mexican, Grimreality is black, Snow is Ethiopian. These teams really don't care where your from as long as you can play.
01/21/2018 08:38 AMPosted by frankly
Stop bringing this issue up.

Frankly, will not comply.

https://compete.kotaku.com/racist-jokes-keep-showing-up-in-overwatch-league-broadc-1822376195

If only Blizzard would put on their brown pants and improve the community of their own making...
01/20/2018 11:42 PMPosted by trashcan
social issues in a context that doesn't exist

Open your eyes and ears.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gaming/features/overwatch-league-nate-nanzer-rules-diversity-player-unions/
Look at the 26 heros...lol pretty sure there is no bias
lol @ this post. Just because there is not diversity does not mean that there is bias.
The original article is based on a single gamer: Kim “Geguri” Se-yeon

If the articles main theme was that it's a problem that there is only one female in contention, I can get behind that argument and examine the details of why that is.

However that was not the thrust of the argument in the article, instead the article argues that since this one particular player is not currently playing on a pro team there must be a bias - I concede the point that "its possible" that Kim isn't playing because there is a bias. However using a single example to make the point is fraught with potential errors, for example:
- Maybe Kim didn't want to move to LA, where all professional games are held.
- Maybe Kim's salary expectations were too high and the managers decided to sign a cheaper option.

The fact that the article sights a comment from Matt Rodriguez, means that at least one league manager considered hiring Kim, which means at the end of the day it was a business decision.... if I make this hire will I put more money in my pocket down the road. I don't know if they were correct, but it appears that all of the hiring managers for the various teams decided the answer was no.
Trying to force diversity is not diversity. It does no good just to force in a 'token' indevidual so that they. An say they are diverse on paper.

True diversity is to have a policy in which the teams are not allowed to use race, sex and orientation as a basis for signing a player. The only thing that should matter is the players skill and sportsmanship. Choosing a player based on the former over the latter is bonefide discrimination. This is the opposite of diversity.

If you look at the player base already there is diversity happening. Multiple players from different countries and cultures. There are currently no female gamers in the OWL but we have to stop looking at that fact as being a problem. As long as OWL has a policy in place that will not allow discrimination we are likely to get a extremely skilled female player in the future that earned the spot.
01/30/2018 08:46 AMPosted by soapmaker
01/21/2018 08:38 AMPosted by frankly
Stop bringing this issue up.

Frankly, will not comply.

https://compete.kotaku.com/racist-jokes-keep-showing-up-in-overwatch-league-broadc-1822376195

If only Blizzard would put on their brown pants and improve the community of their own making...

Girls make up maybe 2% of entire player base. So what do you think the chance of 2% of the entire player base being good enough to play at pro level? There is not enough female player to even consider this is a problem of bias.

Also, look at basketball. Most NBA team is black player. White player never complain about diversity, basketball is more of a part of black culture growing up, this is why there are more, because they are better because play it so much. Well, computer gaming is more a part of male culture growing up, that is why you see more pro gamer is male.
No matter what, ladder will always penalize team players, so DPS players will prevail and most successful DPS players are already experienced pro players with years and years of aim practicing and stuff. This game failed at his premise, which is that everyone can be an hero, and as such I prefer being a paladin of the realm. Maybe my gear won't be as snazzy and cool and futuristic as the one from overwatch, but at least I will actually enjoy my time better.
I have an honest question: Why is diversity a good thing?

Diversity has no inherent value. It is just a description of the state of a given group.

OWL league is about winning and letting the very best players in the world fight for it. What or who someone is should play no role in selecting them whatsoever.

A three legged, bisexual, vertically challenged person with one arm is owning everyone in the league? Great! More playtime and money to you.
An unremarkable asian kid with glasses is owning everyone in the league? Great! More playtime and money to you.

If you factor "diversity" into the equation the first example would be "better". Why is that?
01/30/2018 09:54 AMPosted by Whazz
I have an honest question: Why is diversity a good thing?

Diversity has no inherent value. It is just a description of the state of a given group.

OWL league is about winning and letting the very best players in the world fight for it. What or who someone is should play no role in selecting them whatsoever.

A three legged, bisexual, vertically challenged person with one arm is owning everyone in the league? Great! More playtime and money to you.
An unremarkable asian kid with glasses is owning everyone in the league? Great! More playtime and money to you.

If you factor "diversity" into the equation the first example would be "better". Why is that?

This is so good my friend. Diversity can often promote bias. Thank you
Friendly local grill here.. WHO CARES? There was a team with girls in it, loserfruit and Oasis made a team.. Granted they WILLINGLY were a meme team, but they were there. This had nothing to do with blizzard, they do no make the decisions. The people who own the teams make the decisions. Stop crying to blizzard when they have no say, what are they gonna do? Force every single team to sign at least one female, one african american, one mexican... so on. They sign who will give them the best chance to win and who is willing to join their team. And I can promise you being a female/african american/mexican is not a valid reason to invite someone to the team. They have to PROVE themselves and then ontop of that, they have to accept the terms and conditions provided by the team. Maybe your one example didn't accept the fact that she'd have to move to la and spend most of her time with a big group of guys and possibly live with them, maybe she didn't accept the salary they offered, maybe it just isn't what she actually wants to do. Who's to say.. and honestly.. Who cares? Why is it a big deal? I'm here to watch a game not worry about whether or not there is a set of !@#$ behind that monitor.
01/12/2018 11:20 AMPosted by soapmaker
01/11/2018 07:42 PMPosted by Rickasaurus
OP has not played a second of Overwatch. Made this thread, and probably the article, to make a name for themselves/make money by trying to make a nothing burger.

Have played. Did not write article. Genuinely interested in lack of diversity in professional esports.

Community responses so far support my assertion that these forums are not the place for mature discussion.

This is not a mature discussion, this is a drama queen posting yet another inflammatory thread about a topic that has already proven to be a non-issue.

You shoved a stick into a bee hive and then cry about how the bee stings hurt.

Grow up.
01/11/2018 08:26 PMPosted by SeanSheen
Okay but to be fair the team managers gave another article weird excuses to as to why they didn't sign the zarya player like "co-ed living would be difficult" while they are also saying she is fully capable of competing on their level and they would love to have her on the team.

Geguri played in a competition in Korea and was unable to play comparable to her peers. Geguri has asked people to stop using her to push their agendas, so please, respect her by doing what she asks.
Let's force diversity so that certain people have to try twice as hard and others don't have to try at all. What could go wrong? =)
01/11/2018 08:26 PMPosted by SeanSheen
Okay but to be fair the team managers gave another article weird excuses to as to why they didn't sign the zarya player like "co-ed living would be difficult" while they are also saying she is fully capable of competing on their level and they would love to have her on the team.

Probably if Zarya was META they would have signed her.
My only issue with the league stems from the fact that there are region based teams with the region attached to their name yet they're allowed to recruit from anywhere they want. Most professional leagues have limits/restrictions on how many players can be from other regions and I personally feel that the lack of an "identity" for the teams is going to end up causing OWL to not reach the peak that I know it can due to people being disillusioned from the teams. When I see NYXL being advertised in NYC I think to myself "How does this team represent what NYC is supposed to be at all?" and if I think it as someone who is very passionate about OW and esports in general how are the masses going to feel when they come across it.
01/11/2018 06:49 PMPosted by soapmaker
Blizzard / Blues,

Due to the inconsistent engagement from Blizzard staff on delicate topics, combined with the toxic environment produced by the most vocal of posters, the official forums do not seem to be the correct venue for a civil discussion on this topic.

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2018/01/no-girls-allowed-dissecting-the-gender-imbalance-i.html

Where and how to broach this topic with Blizzard?

That's a clickbait tier title. I can't read the article I wish people would stop doing this style of attention grabbing headlines as all it does is feed a "SJWs are taking over" narrative that you see in the online gaming culture.