Tracer shouldn't be the balance standard

General Discussion
A lot of people say that Tracer is the focal point of balance in OW and is used to compare to other heroes to avoid power creep/power decay. I think this is true, I just don't think Tracer should be that hero. I think it should be Solider 76.

Soldier has the most basic and all-around kit in the game. He's just good, not exceptional, in everything as a DPS hero and that, IMO, is the best scale for balance. He is the Mario (Super Smash Bros.) or Ryu (Street Fighter) of Overwatch.

On top of this Soldier is nearly equally viable among pretty much all tiers. He's easy to understand and has a spread weapon that makes him a safe choice for lower skilled players. He has high enough damage and enough tech to be scary with exceptional skill.

Tracer on the other hand has a lot of extremes; extreme horizontal mobility and damage potential, while having an extremely low health pool.

IMO this isn't as good for a balance focal point because Tracer's potential and pickrate increases wildly with skill. At the lower end of the game she's average to bad, at the top end she's ridiculous and nearly a perma-run. Tracer more than other characters profits tremendously from skill disparity e.g., a diamond Tracer completely destroys plat players, despite Tracer not being that great at either rank.
You know, normally I'd disregard threads like this but you've actually brought up some incredibly valid points. There's very little wrong with Soldier in the current meta and arguably would be a better balancing standard than Tracer. A well rounded set of abilities and a pretty well rounded ultimate. The only thing I'd be concerned about is that those extremes Tracer has may well be necessary to balance out the extremes of other abilties.

Otherwise much like Tracer, the majority of his counters are soft counters. I'd be fine with either Tracer or Soldier being the balance standard, so while I won't say it's a change I'd be desperate to see pushed through, I am in support of the idea.
Yeah, I never understood why heroes were balanced around Tracer. But, I totally agree with you on Soldier 76. Blizzard should see this post... although they probably won't. :c
I think it the whole concept of balancing a game around one character is ridiculous.
Like what is really the point if it makes the rest of the heroes harder to balance because of that 1 character that got buffed/nerfed indirectly?
If that character gets out of poportion you should be nerfing it, not buffing the other 26 heroes.
Yeah it's pretty hard to balance around a hero because they all have different abilities making them qualitatively different.
Funny you mention this because I was thinking the same thing recently. Soldier seems to be the most balanced, how people can say tracer us beyond me. Tracer ius rediculous powerful if you aim well and she us too fast to hit. She also gets around all shields easily unlike soldier.
This is really logical. I don't like playing against Soldier: 76 but he is a pretty basic character to base the balancing of the game around.
01/31/2018 05:48 AMPosted by HANA
I think it the whole concept of balancing a game around one character is ridiculous.
Like what is really the point if it makes the rest of the heroes harder to balance because of that 1 character that got buffed/nerfed indirectly?
If that character gets out of poportion you should be nerfing it, not buffing the other 26 heroes.
It makes sense with fighting games like Street Fighter, where you have a character like Ryu who is pretty decent but not great at everything. Like Soldier.

Balancing around Tracer, who is at high level an oppressive dps lord that you can’t hit is like saying SF4 Yun is your “balance” point
01/31/2018 05:36 AMPosted by greyleopardd
He is the Mario (Super Smash Bros.) or Ryu (Street Fighter) of Overwatch.

I want skins for both now.
And i want the traditional ''poing'' sound when mario jumps.
Huh. Good point(s).
I think the reason they balance around tracer is because of these extremes. When they make skills or buff/nerf heroes it keeps the balances in check. They have to take into account they can't make lots of skills too high damage cause it would lead to one-shotting her, instead they keep the damage lower so you need damage buffs from teammates to take her out swiftly. Being a flanker they have to take into account flanking routes when designing maps, while also having open areas where she can zip straight in and behind with blink. Her blink is a good ability to map design around cause a lot of other abilities do similar results but have more vertical height. So if blink can get across that gap, up to that highground, other movement abilities can most likely too. She's also good for healthpack placement since tracer often plays close to them unlike soldier who just uses his healing station a lot of the time. But perhaps most importantly, Tracer's efficiency is almost directly connected to the skill and knowledge of the person playing her. So if they want to see if an ability is op, just put it up against a skilled tracer and see if it's manageable from the tracers perspective.
Good point. I hadnt thought of that.
01/26/2018 07:28 AMPosted by Txboyd1
oh tracer the standard or used to be blizz has said that they use tracer the standard hero that's kind of why she's the poster child but you know this. Needless to say the heroes have changed in the past year and a half so the standard became overpowered and I think we can all agree that tracer became more powerful as heroes got weaker example roadhog don't you think that when roadhog had a 6 hook cooldown tracer was a lot less popular so I you can see my POV but if not go a ahead leave your opinion i don't preach I converse
i made this months ago