Why did Mercy have a 100% pickrate in the first place?

General Discussion
Simple answer, all of the other supports are garbage and useless compared to her. Seems harsh but it's true, who could have compared? Ana? Lucio? Moira is maybe the only one worth anything.

We see these threads 'welcome back ana and lucio mains' or 'no more mercy meta' well here's the thing, the reason why there even was a mercy meta or ana and Lucio were picked less was because every other support in the game but her was hot garbage for so long.

The support characters in this game suck plain and simple. People'll say 'but she needed a nerf to balance her out' The nerf made her equal to all the other trash in the support role! It didn't make them VIABLE it made her worst. Sorry to the support mains but let's get real.

I feel bad for the Mercy players because at one time they had people toxic at them for playing the number one support, now they'll have people on their backs for playing the nerfed support.

Excuse the rant but this entire debacle is just... Garbage.
Because they give her a group heal, making other supports obsolete.

She can do things that normally requires 2 other supports.
So they nerfed her power-level, instead of reworking her kits to solve the issue.
01/31/2018 01:16 AMPosted by NatureHoot
Simple answer, all of the other supports are garbage and useless compared to her. Seems harsh but it's true, who could have compared? Ana? Lucio? Moira is maybe the only one worth anything.

Exactly. COMPARED to her.

When one hero is outperforming 4 others you don't buff those 4, you nerf that 1...
Because she was too strong and rez as an ability is OP. Oh and her ult was OP
You could see it like that. Or you could see it like mercy was waaay too strong a support and OP compared to all characters. Even if the other supports aren’t garbage, mercy would still be better.

People still run supports so they’re def not that !@#$ty.
Simple, Mercy is more lovable and can bring people baxk from death.

I mean if ally you wanted to support, dies no matter how hard you try, wouldn´t you have loved to revive that said ally ?
01/31/2018 01:44 AMPosted by idcIFurLGBT
01/31/2018 01:16 AMPosted by NatureHoot

Exactly. COMPARED to her.

When one hero is outperforming 4 others you don't buff those 4, you nerf that 1...

BUT WHY, WHY WERE THEY SO TRASH IN THE FIRST PLACE? Why is it, tell me this, that prebuff pre nerf, everything was fine but then when she got a BUFF she was all of a sudden the must pick. People say 'oh she was so broken' but she was only broken comparable to the other supports because they other supports are TRASH.

Blizzard's done nothing for them, you ruin one and now they're all abysmal. She's out performing them because they are bad, because they make no difference. We still see her with the best pick rate out of supports with this Nerf a day removed, why? BECAUSE THEY ARE TRASH. She won't be 100% pick but she'll carry a nice 60 to 80% if day one of the nerf is indicator.

If you don't do something to make the others viable crap like this will happen. What do you expect when the most you can get out of the second best support is nothing but off heals?
Isn't it also because the meta formed more and more around having an op mercy as a vital healer? Meaning that the other (less mobile) healers weren't able to fully adept to the current meta?
01/31/2018 01:47 AMPosted by Sieptium
You could see it like that. Or you could see it like mercy was waaay too strong a support and OP compared to all characters. Even if the other supports aren’t garbage, mercy would still be better.

People still run supports so they’re def not that !@#$ty.

You need HEALING, you still see Mercy in every other game, it's not like she's gonna fall too far off given she's still the best of the supports. But if her current pick rate pre nerf is any indicator. it looks like it only opened the door for the others a smidgen. They didn't become any more viable, now she's just less of a must.
01/31/2018 01:49 AMPosted by NatureHoot
Blizzard's done nothing for them, you ruin one and now they're all abysmal

This is just false.

Every support is good now.

Pretty much everyone in my games has agreed so far.

Nobody gets upset when they see an Ana or Moira, nobody says "Can we please get a Mercy not Lucio/Ana/Moira/Zenyatta"

No support is garbage now, they're all amazing,
01/31/2018 01:52 AMPosted by idcIFurLGBT
01/31/2018 01:49 AMPosted by NatureHoot
Blizzard's done nothing for them, you ruin one and now they're all abysmal

This is just false.

Every support is good now.

Pretty much everyone in my games has agreed so far.

Nobody gets upset when they see an Ana or Moira, nobody says "Can we please get a Mercy not Lucio/Ana/Moira/Zenyatta"

No support is garbage now, they're all amazing,

They're all amazing? Are you pulling my leg? She's still at the top post nerf! This didn't make any of them better it made her a little worst. It doesn't help bring new and creative comps, it doesn't bring any fun to the game, it just pisses off the Mercy mains and gives the others a few days of false hope before they realize that they will still get out classed by a solo Mercy.

And what does it matter if everyone in your games agrees? I can just as easily say everyone in my games think's it's garbage.

No one gets upset because they think MERCY IS BAD NOW. Someone might even get asked to switch OFF mercy.
lol what you're suggesting is blatant power creep.

healer pick rates were fine -> mercy got buffed -> no other non-defensive ult healer could be picked because mercy was a required condition for a win.
Mercy has innate high pick rate since she's the game's only dedicated healer. In uncoordinated teams that will often have 1 healer, Mercy is going to be the best choice. In higher ranks Pre-work Mercy herself saw less play time outside of pharmercy. The go to healer was often Zen+Lucio, who's been the popular healer combo since season 1. None of these were really an issue. Pre-work Mercy 1.5 Mass Rez could've been solved easily by minor tweaks here and there. Prework Mercy even with Hide&Rez had high pickrate but was never a must pick.

Then the devs decided to rework her. One of their reasons stating they wanted her to see more playtime in higher ranks. Obviously back fired since a) Mercy became OP for months and b) because Pro players have admitted that Mercy is their most hated hero. Which would make sense. Mercy was never a hero that appealed to FPS players, but rather to players that wanted a diverse gameplay in an FPS game. The rework ultimately made Mercy hated by people that don't play her and made her a chore to play towards her own playerbase.

The must pick status of Mercy is because of Rez on CD. Like I said before, Mercy was never a must pick pre-work. It was when Rez on CD that people started to complain. And when people realize this, that even with the Mercy nerf, Rez on CD will still be too much, people are going to complain about her again. After all, no one complain about her Valk Rez before the devs made it into an issue.

All the Mercy players asking for a revert, with tweaks and changes, and even reverting back to Mercy 1.0 when she was vulnerable during Rez Cast are in acknowledgement that Rez should be an earned ability rather than a given one. Putting Rez on resource would solve everything. Okay not everything but a lot on both sides of this discourse: both on those that are against Mercy and those that love Mercy. People are asking for a revert because it's simply the easiest way to fix all of this.
If you think Lucio is a weak hero, you must be deeply confused.
Good amount of healing, chain healing in Valk, res every 30s, 2 charges of res in Valk, and most importantly, mobility with which she could keep up with the dive meta.
They made a mistake imo.
I do think Mercy is still balanced (maybe, not sure yet), but they sucked a lot of fun out of her.
In stead of making the other suports on par and as fun with Mercy, they dragged Mercy down to the other supports' level.
This is not a good thing. Now we are left with no fun supports, who are fun all the time. Except Moira, for me Moira is fun. But there are many situations where she cannot be a main healer.
I play supports a lot of the time, but I always seem to go back to the most fun support for the situation. Lucio can be fun if people can be booped of maps, or if the map allows for good wallrides. Moira is a lot of fun on maps with small corridors. Zenyatta is fun on maps where I can do peek-a-boo, discord-hide-charge shot-boo: dead enemy. Ana is fun vs certain setups, big targets are easily put to sleep, and if the enemy doesn't have shields you can kill a lot.
For me Mercy wasn't very fun, but she is very effective at healing one on one, and at least she would shine during her ult. On hard pushes, especially on attack, it would save the day. Because you kinda counter the advantage of the defending team. They res near the point, and your team doesn't. And while they all res near the point, you get to save 2 people on the point. Giving a fighting chance. Now res will not be used in valkyrie anymore.

Point is: no Mercy will risk ressing anyone while in valkyrie. It makes you stand almost still on groundlevel in valkyrie, making you such an easy target, especially since you announce the res with a sound which can be heard by the enemy.
They may just as well delete res from the ultimate kit, it's too dangerous to use.
Nobody will risk seeing not only their ult canceled because of a part of the ult making you stand almost completely still, but also see themselves get killed in the process, leaving their team without healing.
01/31/2018 02:10 AMPosted by Xian396

The must pick status of Mercy is because of Rez on CD.

This. And rez is still on CD. The anti-fun hammer they dropped on Mercy didn't fix that, which still leaves me dissatisfied.
DVA got a dps buff, junkrat got a dps buff, ana got a dps buff, doomfist/moira came into existence and can both put out a lot of dmg. Idk what you expect. Of course all the other supports besides Mercy would do horrible in DPS meta. That's only natural they can't outheal so much burst damage being thrown out the wazzoo.
Resurrect should never have been made a normal ability.
01/31/2018 02:39 AMPosted by EMc73
If you think Lucio is a weak hero, you must be deeply confused.

Ult charge nerf hit Lucio hardest though, because his ult takes ferever to charge, and his ult has a relatively long wind-up time unlike others.