there is no way this SR system is accurate? is it?

Competitive Discussion
so Ive been maining mercy rein orisa soldier pharah (btw i only solo Q)

I started in bronze and i end up going to silver. I then drop to bronze again and stay there for a bit. FInally stay in silver for a bit. i finally hit gold and ive been gold now for the past few weeks.

when I first entered gold, I was cycling between 1800 - 2050 for quite sometime

I am happy to say, I have never fallen down to silver for the past few days until yesterday - so I was a solid gold player

went on a losing streak and ended up getting to 1930ish. as soon as I hit my low, it just struck be right back to 2100. I mean dont know if thats normal or not, to fluctuate 100 - 200SR?
I fluctuate 500-700 swings 1-2 times a season since season 3. This game rating system is the worst in FPS history. Not accurate at all.

One season I was 2750 then down to 1600 then back to 2750 by end of season

last season I was 2800-3000 for majority of the season, but low was 2150

this season ive been 2400-2500 for past 3 weeks, 2700-2900 for 2 weeks..

take your rating with a grain of salt, its dependent on 5 other people on your team yet its YOUR rating.

am I silverp layer? gold ? plat? diamond? ive been all 4
Ull almost never climb solo q unless you 1 trick an carry hard
01/31/2018 04:54 AMPosted by Unordinary
I fluctuate 500-700 swings 1-2 times a season since season 3. This game rating system is the worst in FPS history. Not accurate at all.

One season I was 2750 then down to 1600 then back to 2750 by end of season

last season I was 2800-3000 for majority of the season, but low was 2150

this season ive been 2400-2500 for past 3 weeks

take your rating with a grain of salt, its dependent on 5 other people on your team yet its YOUR rating.

am I silverp layer? gold ? plat? diamond? ive been all 4

yeah im following a buddy on my list and he ended up being diamond for the first time. as soon as he hit 3100 he just dropped to mid gold. (been plat for 3 seasons) and he is a heavy player to; he plays a lot.

even on my other accts I solo Qd up to 2400 then drop to 1800, but I didnt comp much on that acct so I didnt take it seriously.

its just weird how much it fluctuates.
SR is just a bad measurement. If you would lets say have 10 ranks and you would never see the background number but only your rank might change every X matches due to a win or lose streak people would care less. This artificial number that goes up and down every match is just not accurate at all.

Let us say you are 2200 at the start of a season. If your skill does not improve drastically you will go from 1900 - 2400 due to different factors such as your own performance, team, trollers/griefers, stacks you encounter and so on. Your only chance to really rise through the ranks is a constant overperformance for your rank. And even than you will fluctuate while climbing which means you will go up 200 and down 150 up 300 down 320 up 400 and down 300 and so on. Just the sum in the end will lead + 300 SR or something
Yeah the system is really bad at keeping you in a spot. It's not the fact that people want to be a higher rank. More of: How can I be multiple ranks.

If i'm really silver rank. Than why does it take 3 or 4 high platinums in QP to kill me. You can do your job in a match really good. Most of the lost games 99% overtimes. But still lose if the team just doesn't work.

One day i'll win 14 QP games in a row. All different rank matches. Silver, Gold, Plat. Another day i'd only win 6. If this was comp. I would of shot up into high gold. Than plummed back down. That win streak was matches with people who had 1200SR over me. What's my real rank? Nothing, because the rank depends on the team. Not me.
Yup, I have multiple accounts with SR ranging from Bronze to Diamond, all solo queue. I'm not changing my play style, what does change is my team comp and players I play with.
https://imgur.com/a/w4n3j

there is my rank graf last few days...

but as RNG or stats goes since there is 50:50 chance, than yes 200sr up and down is nothing out of ordinary..

not in pic but few weeks back i dropped 450sr in 24h span
01/16/2018 06:11 AMPosted by Kaawumba
How accurate is SR?

On the forums there are generally two factions with respect to SR, those who think that SR is essentially luck and a meaningless value, and those who believe that SR is essentially correct. Neither of these factions have the correct approach. The correct question is to ask how accurate is SR? Clearly top 500 players are better than bottom 500 (see any bronze to GM series or watch low bronze play vs top play), so SR is not completely random, but how accurate is it really? For this discussion, I am assuming that we are talking about a player that plays to win every game, doesn’t share his account, and has played at least 100 competitive games.

There are number of ways to approach this question. One is to start a completely new account, and then play 100 games on the new account and see how it performs compared to the old one. This shows that SR can vary by 1000 SR in extreme cases, and 500 in normal cases (27). There is some evidence that reroll experiments show less variance at higher ranks (28) likely because there are less random variables, such as smurfs, throwers, and inconsistent play.

Another experiment we can do is look at how SR changes between seasons. Even though SR is generally about where it was from the previous season, there is roughly a 1000 SR range (in extreme cases) that cannot be explained by previous season ending and placements record (see previous section). Regardless of where this comes from, this implies that SR is not particularly accurate.

Next, any player can see how his SR changes during a season. A range of 500 is completely normal here.

In addition, if an account needs a 55% win rate to maintain SR (11), and if win % changes slowly with rank, then it is expected that this will be an additional source of significant error in SR.

If a player gets noticeably better, it can take a long time to get to the correct rank. If a player maintains a 55% win rate, he will only go up approximately 220 SR/MMR every 100 games. Because there are twelve players in a match, one player's contribution (and ability to carry the match) is limited unless he is playing at a vastly different skill level, so a 55% win rate for a player that is moderately under placed is to be expected.

Put this all together, and we can state that an active and motivated player’s SR is only accurate to +/- 250 SR in normal circumstances and +/- 500 SR in extreme cases. Of course, new players or players that actively break the system can be off by much more.

(11) https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20759406493
(27) https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20758807010
(28) https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20758807010#post-10
I had like 500 swings. It gets so tiring, it is not funny. When by some miracle i still win games that i was supposed to lose (bay all indicators), next match is guaranteed to be 4vs6. Players simply get booted from match.
I am not constantly winning game after game without even having to try at the SR that I am at so clearly the system is somewhat accurate. However if I have a bad day and drop to a lower Elo then suddenly the game does get easier until I get back to my true Elo.

The question you should be asking is that if players appraisal of their own skill is accurate. I for one record my games and review them because I want to be higher but I understand I have to work for it.

I see many posts of people complaining about everything that they think is holding them back. This character is busted, my main has been nurfed, my team mates are potatoes, and trolls and leavers are holding me back. However what is missing is the realization that if they take responsibility for their own progress then they can truly improve.

Stop trying to change the rules of the game to hide your deficiencies from yourself. Instead find out what your deficiencies are and practice them into oblivion. A champions greatest nemesis is themselves. If you can defeat that enemy nothing can stand in your way.
How accurate is SR?

Put this all together, and we can state that an active and motivated player’s SR is only accurate to +/- 250 SR in normal circumstances and +/- 500 SR in extreme cases. Of course, new players or players that actively break the system can be off by much more.

(11) https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20759406493
(27) https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20758807010
(28) https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20758807010#post-10

That still doesn't mean people should accept this level of inconstancy. Would you, if say this was your job. You busted your !@# on sort of special report, that made your company billions in 5 years. What did you get out of it? A loss of $10,000 dollars. Because the way had to do the report. AKA The SR system thinking you should of won the match, but you didn't.

That overrides if the person played out of his mind. Simply because the system is not run by a human being. I'd love to see an experiment with a few people. Who are in the wrong rank. Out preform the rank in some vast way. But the matches are judge by a REAL PERSON, an Overwatch dev.

Would they still give them -SR. Or would they go: Wow, this person did everything they could. They survived on the point for 3 minutes, VSing 4 people. They hard carried on X character, but still lost. I will give them +SR. A human being can be objective. A algorithm can't. That's why people get pissed off. We don't have SR and computers running real sports. We have people, slow mo cameras, and refs that do the work. Imagine if the Overwatch SR system was used to judge figure skating.
01/31/2018 05:19 AMPosted by ƒelmax
Yup, I have multiple accounts with SR ranging from Bronze to Diamond, all solo queue. I'm not changing my play style, what does change is my team comp and players I play with.

LOL now this is total BS, there is a an enormous difference between Bronze and Diamond, and any true Diamond player will destroy Bronze games.

I don't think you guys understand how SR works, but it's actually probably the best friend to have as a low ranked player. IF you play better than the average players at your rank, you'll go up in rank. That doesn't mean IF you think you're better than average, but ARE better than average at your rank with your selected heroes.

From example, low skill players lack many things, but that's not the problem with low skill players, it's that they're completely inconsistent. That's where your main problem relies, that you don't always play consistently above average at your rank.

That's the hard truth of PBSR, but people don't want to accept that, just like you guys won't accept that you don't always play above average at your current rank. Do you think I play at a GM level every day? Nope, I choose not to play on days where I'm clearly not playing well. But low level players aren't able to gauge how well they're playing, it's human psychology to think you're better than what you are, but also to blame other factors but ourselves.