The Vitriol Aimed At Mercy & the Devs is Why…

General Discussion
Mercy needed the nerfs. The hate and mocking of Mercy players by everyone else plus the expected (but entirely unacceptable) throwing done by frustrated Mercy players is why the character herself needs a whole kit rework. So, let’s see if we can talk about this calmly.

I’m a Mercy main BTW so let’s get that out in the open and as such, you can expect I am somewhat biased towards Mercy players (including those who kindly flex to Mercy for the sake of the game). For Mercy – a support with survivability unlike all the others and who could potentially solo heal – her sole purpose is to heal and undo (to the best of her ability and the cooperation of her team) the damage caused by the enemy.

So we agree that she has a great impact, but from reading the forums here and sub-Reddits, watching streamers mock GM Mercy players, anyone with eyes can see we think (1) Mercy players are a blight and do nothing but suck the life blood and fun out of the game or (2) that Mercy is herself OP and the “low-skill” required to do the job also makes it an easy one.

It goes without saying that supports are generally underappreciated but Mercy has always been ESPECIALLY DIFFERENT. She is literally every single unthinking, non-self-reflective, selfish player’s catheter bag. She’s attached by beam (tube, if you will) carrying the weight of crappy decisions and bad positioning by every other player on the team. She usually dies once the player’s own decisions finally causes the crap to spill over (like diving without cover into a fight for a resurrect). Mercy has a 100% pick rate b/c everyone at every level of the game needs her to undo their mistakes plus if Mercy is easy to play and the enemy team ignores her, it's basically an automatic win for the team with the longer surviving Mercy. Of course that's a problem but this is everyone's fault. Even the developers.

If you're smart and have enough game sense to use your team's new Mercy kit to the fullest of its capability - not just making up for your mistakes - then the meta will change. She can't do what she used to so if more of us won't think about how to work together, why should Mercy be left to make up what everyone is incapable of or refuses to do?

Mercy may also need further re-work if Blizzard is to make a balanced character out of her but I’m personally happier that the changes have arrived (although I enjoyed being Battle Mercy, she was honestly OP). In the end, only Blizzard can change this community and sometimes, it seems, the only way is to forcefully encourage a new mode of thinking and GAMEPLAY.
None of this means she should have remained in an overpowered state for any longer. I sympathize with Mercy players and would gladly see a revert to 1.0 or a rework.

But until Blizzard steps up and does that the entire playerbase should not be held hostage to the mains of a must pick broken character. It was a choice between making the general playerbase happy or making Mercy players happy with small nerfs that will have to be added onto anyway. There would have been backlash no matter what the choice was as it's about time they solved the immediate problem.

How Mercy players are feeling right now is how everyone else felt playing against her for the past 5 months. It literally hasn't even been one day for you guys. The "joy" isn't about punishing Mercy players but being free from their 5 month punishment and dominance.
Mercy was too strong, now she is on par with the other supports. We dont want heros being must picks, it doesnt work out for those who play with them or against them
I think everyone feels this way because we were spoiled by Mercy's constant presence, knowing that we could get rezzed for a mistake in-game. Now that's no longer the case (not guaranteed at least), players don't know what to do without it.

At this point, people want to play heroes that stack up health to mitigate their chance of dying, since they won't be rezzed as often.

Likewise, it feels terrible for Mercy players, because it has been several months that this was a thing, and thus everyone got used to it. An issue that isn't addressed leaves a more bitter sting the longer it stays.
01/31/2018 10:13 AMPosted by Argonexx
Mercy was too strong, now she is on par with the other supports. We dont want heros being must picks, it doesnt work out for those who play with them or against them

She's not the Guardian Angel any more.. they totally destroyed why we play her - thats why people are upset.

blizz is removing "unfun" things from the game - mercy herself is now 'unfun" so can we just delete her?
So far I'm really enjoying the change. I noticed that without a Mercy on my team my whole team plays smarter. They don't risk dying or overextend to solo 6 people anymore. They know that if they die in a bad spot that's it for them.

As a DPS main, getting a pick on someone early in a team fight feels extremely rewarding now. It used to be almost a must to get a pick or two early in order to bait the Mercy to ult and rez people just so that you can pull back.. reset.. and then start the team fight over again.. and if you lost someone in the process that's even more waiting around.

Team play feels more fluid and coordinated than ever before and its a beautiful thing.
The only thing I really have against her changes is that she no longer feels impactful to play. And the Junkrat changes are kinda awkward too with how they kinda screwed up with the trap mine combos.
01/31/2018 09:56 AMPosted by Shade
How Mercy players are feeling right now is how everyone else felt playing against her for the past 5 months.

Don't joke please.
No. I'd rather her get a revert. The reworks aren't working obviously. #RevertMercy.
01/31/2018 11:07 AMPosted by xavvypls
No. I'd rather her get a revert. The reworks aren't working obviously. #RevertMercy.

I agree, #RevertMercy is the only thing that will save her. Trying to tweak a broken rework is futile. They need to revert her and tweak 1.0 to keep her meaningful, fun, and not OP.
01/31/2018 11:04 AMPosted by Otamega
How Mercy players are feeling right now is how everyone else felt playing against her for the past 5 months.

Don't joke please.

There's no jokes here. If you haven't been paying attention to other supports being pressured to play Mercy or knowing your team is at a severe disadvantage if you don't have Mercy for the past 5 months then I don't know what game you have been playing. This hasn't been fun for the general playerbase if you need someone to tell you directly.

Must pick characters aren't fun to deal with for anyone who doesn't main that character. We've had 5 months of it, it's been a day for you. Time will tell what state she's in as I've heard kneejerk "Mercy is dead" reactions too many times before when it wasn't true. As time passes we will see if she just needs a revert, slight buffs or another rework altogether. Feel free to cry the sky is falling for the 5th time though.
None of this means she should have remained in an overpowered state for any longer. I sympathize with Mercy players and would gladly see a revert to 1.0 or a rework.

But until Blizzard steps up and does that the entire playerbase should not be held hostage to the mains of a must pick broken character. It was a choice between making the general playerbase happy or making Mercy players happy with small nerfs that will have to be added onto anyway. There would have been backlash no matter what the choice was as it's about time they solved the immediate problem.

How Mercy players are feeling right now is how everyone else felt playing against her for the past 5 months. It literally hasn't even been one day for you guys. The "joy" isn't about punishing Mercy players but being free from their 5 month punishment and dominance.

There is one important detail that you're missing though: Many Mercy players did not at all enjoy the past 5 months either.

The rework was not done to cater to Mercy players in the first place. When it went live, they tried to adapt and move on, but pretty soon it became apparent that she was stupidly overpowered. And that's when more players started being skeptical about the rework, because it was obvious that a nerf was needed and was bound to happen. It turned out one nerf wasn't enough at all.

There are quite a few Mercy players who were well aware that she was overpowered, and there were tons of suggestions how to get her into a healthier state without being overpowered. And to this day, there is no indication whatsoever that any of them were taken into consideration.

Unfortunately though, it took the developers more than 5 months to get where we're at now. Meanwhile, they've thrown almost everything out of the window that was supposed to make the reworked Mercy more fun and engaging to play.

The Mercy players aren't the ones who held the game hostage for the last 5 months. Believe me, constantly getting hated on for playing an overpowered character, while simultaneously trying to adapt to numerous changes to a redesign you didn't ask for and at the same time feeling completely ignored by the developers sucks big time.
01/31/2018 11:37 AMPosted by Navoc

The rework was not done to cater to Mercy players in the first place. When it went live, they tried to adapt and move on, but pretty soon it became apparent that she was stupidly overpowered. And that's when more players started being skeptical about the rework, because it was obvious that a nerf was needed and was bound to happen. It turned out one nerf wasn't enough at all.

Maybe the rework was done in consideration of Mercy mains (remember Battle Mercy 1.0?) but also to appease people who were complaining about her ultimate ability. It was labeled a "one trick move", of hiding in the shadows to jump out and hit "Q". The rework didn't achieve what they hoped b/c they gave her mini-ults and increased her speed. Combine that with fast ult charge since she's always healing and damage boosting and you've got the OP char.

There are quite a few Mercy players who were well aware that she was overpowered, and there were tons of suggestions how to get her into a healthier state without being overpowered. And to this day, there is no indication whatsoever that any of them were taken into consideration.

Unfortunately though, it took the developers more than 5 months to get where we're at now. Meanwhile, they've thrown almost everything out of the window that was supposed to make the reworked Mercy more fun and engaging to play.

I think the voices of brigading Mercy mains who are afraid of seeing her become more difficult to play were louder than the Mercy voices of reason. She's still fun, but her kit is screaming for more work. I'd rather she resurrect herself instead of other people as a first ability plus an additional resurrect charge for 1 teammate during her ult (for a total of 2 people during Valk). Then it would be less about other people and more about her own game play. Plus, her increased tempo wouldn't change as much. The speed reduction is necessary but since I'm sympathetic to my fellow mains, I'd prefer not as much as what is live.
Can you stop making statements like "lets talk about it calmly"? You know ... After 5 feedback threads with plenty of calm discussion and tons of viable feedback ... Don't pretend these never existed.

There is one important detail that you're missing though: Many Mercy players did not at all enjoy the past 5 months either.

The Mercy players aren't the ones who held the game hostage for the last 5 months. Believe me, constantly getting hated on for playing an overpowered character, while simultaneously trying to adapt to numerous changes to a redesign you didn't ask for and at the same time feeling completely ignored by the developers sucks big time.

We were all being held hostage. It's just the rest of the playerbase has been freed now.

It's not a bad thing that we're happy that we were freed. Yes it sucks that you're still in captivity but you can't hold that against the people who were in it with you and in fact hurt more by it.
And once again somebody misses the point.

Nobody is asking for Mercy to be OP. Mercy mains just want a revert to pre-Valk. Literally when she was at her weakest. Most are even willing to accept a more vulnerable res. That's right. All anybody is asking for is a weaker version of a D-tier hero. They're all so selfish, apparently.
01/31/2018 02:18 PMPosted by Shade

We were all being held hostage. It's just the rest of the playerbase has been freed now.

It's not a bad thing that we're happy that we were freed. Yes it sucks that you're still in captivity but you can't hold that against the people who were in it with you and in fact hurt more by it.

Honestly speaking? The Mercy players were always hurt more by it.

Everyone else was just upset because "their hard work was being undone by op mercy".

Mercy players though got insulted for playing the hero everyone demanded they play.

Mercy players got to sit and watch as their hero was going down the inevitable road to destruction because there was no way anyone could be happy.

Mercy players got to sit and know that the moment Mercy was nerfed hard enough everyone will attack them because of how "oppressive" the character THEY DEMANDED to be played was to them.

Mercy players got to see that no matter how much feedback they gave Blizzard ignored it and continued on. Blizzard even went so far as to call the rework a success when everyone else declared it an utter failure.

Mercy players never asked for a rework to begin with. It was others that did that. For something that was not even Mercy's fault.

For something caused by a background system and players naturally wanting to abuse it to climb a virtual ladder regardless of the quality of matches it would produce.
01/31/2018 01:53 PMPosted by Andrej
Can you stop making statements like "lets talk about it calmly"? You know ... After 5 feedback threads with plenty of calm discussion and tons of viable feedback ... Don't pretend these never existed.

If you don't think asking for civility at a time when people are openly admitting to throwing games is necessary, that's your opinion even if it is completely ill-tempered for the moment. I'm not ignoring anything. Unlike everyone else here, you're not adding anything substantive to the conversation so I don't know why you felt fit to reply.

People deserve to be heard, especially those who feel they've been treated egregiously, and I, like anyone else, can speak too.
01/31/2018 02:29 PMPosted by Otterchin
And once again somebody misses the point.

Nobody is asking for Mercy to be OP. Mercy mains just want a revert to pre-Valk. Literally when she was at her weakest. Most are even willing to accept a more vulnerable res. That's right. All anybody is asking for is a weaker version of a D-tier hero. They're all so selfish, apparently.

I didn't say Mercy mains, including me, are asking for her to be OP. I literally said people were calling her OP even in her original form (which doesn't mean they were right). My point was that everyone expects a Mercy on their team (so even if her mains wanted to play something else, they'd play her out of sheer pressure) and they expect Mercys to fix their screw ups while accusing her players of being lazy, crazy and cheaters.

Mercy 1.0 with small checks and balances to her kit without a whole rework probably would have been better. But alas, we're here now and we have to work with what we've got. Hopefully, people who don't play Mercy (or any support for that matter) will be more grateful in their demeanor and more thoughtful in their gameplay.