Thoughts and Ideas to balance Mercy

Competitive Discussion
I really appreciate the effort made by the dev team to enhance Mercy's kit with Valkyrie, which made her feel more engaging to play, in my opinion. However, Mercy 2.0 has been a hassle to balance ever since last September. The main problem with her is finding the perfect balance between fun and power. Right now, I believe she's balanced, but most people find Mercy unfun to play as, and for right reasons.
Mercy 2.0 has always felt like she had 2 ults : Valk and Rez. She can use both at the same time, which is part of the reason why she's been so hard to balance properly. Here's what I'd propose :
- Mercy has now two ultimate abilities, Valkyrie and Resurrect. She has access to both every time she fully charges her ult, but cannot use them both at the same time. This could potentially please those who like Valkyrie and want to keep it, as well as those who actively want a revert to 1.0. I think it would also nullify the balancing issues the dev team has had, because Mercy wouldn't be able to use Valk and Rez together.
- Mercy's Valkyrie should remain the same as it is right now. Twenty seconds has always felt too long for me : you could potentially leave the spawn with Valk (even as the attacker), and still get to where the current team fight was with 10-15 seconds of Valk left. Even without Rez during Valk, I still believe 20 seconds would be too powerful.
- Old Resurrect was, while not as powerful as New Rez coupled with Valk, a very powerful ability. It is of course possible to stop Mercy when she wants to resurrect her teammates, but losing at that hide and seek game usually meant having to beat the enemy a second time. It made a certain playstyle more often that not the most optimal way of playing Mercy, which I don't find particularly fun to do or to endure. What I would do would be to either fix a certain limit to how many teammates you can bring back to life (maybe 3), or enforce line of sight, or do both. That way, hide 'n' Rez wouldn't reward as much the Mercy player, and she wouldn't be able to resurrect through walls, cellings or floors.
- Finally, for balance's and fun's sake, I would give Mercy a new secondary ability. One major problem with her is that she doesn't have anything to do other than heal (and dmg boost sometimes) during a fight where her ult isn't up. That makes her too dependent of her ult(s), imo. I have thought about an ability which would grant invincibility to a teammate for one second, on a 10+ second cooldown, but I am not sure of whether this would be too powerful or not. I'll gladly take some other ideas, though.
To sum up, put both current Valk and fixed old Rez in the ult spot and give Mercy a new ability. I believe this is the right way of making Mercy more fun to play as and to play against. However, I'd argue upon making her ults longer to charge up, but again, I am not sure if it's necessary.
What do you all think ? I'd love to hear your opinion.
Yeah, I can hear those voices already screaming "Why did you valk instead of rez? *triggered DPS player screeching*"

Now honestly: Mercy wasn't just nerfed because she was too strong.
She was nerfed way too hard into off-meta because she wasn't "fun" to watch in OWL.
Her being out of the meta after the nerfs was expected and anticipated.

The rez is the problem. If you make it an ultimate, her whole play will revolve around it again.
If you have it as an ability, the whole character will revolve around the rez-ability.
It's so powerful that current Mercy feels like her hands are tied behind her back in order to balance the rez somehow.
Not even the rez is satisfying anymore.

Ditch the rez and turn her into an enjoyable character.
There's more creative stuff that could be done other than keeping this rez at all costs.
The fact is, Mercy and Resurrect are tied together. I personally cannot think of one without the other.
Rez is very hard to balance for sure, but I don't believe taking it away is exactly the way to go. It's more of an easy way of balancing Mercy, which isn't wrong but without any solid alternatives, removing it altogether won't be good for Mercy at all.
I think i actually like it better as it is now.

Before you felt like you had to hold your ult for the "right time" or waste the double rez. Now i can ult whenever it's needed and i only rez when it's safe cuz of the snare and cast time.

I don't feel as hamstrung and the play feels a little smoother.
02/07/2018 05:23 PMPosted by GammaDelta
The fact is, Mercy and Resurrect are tied together. I personally cannot think of one without the other.

I can. Easily.
And I don't see a reason why that wouldn't be possible easily.
If you want to make up that some sort of god entity always prophesized that Mercy should have a rez-ability, well, you can do that, but I don't see a reason for why that should be a thing.
02/07/2018 05:18 PMPosted by Roflknife
The rez is the problem. If you make it an ultimate, her whole play will revolve around it again.
If you have it as an ability, the whole character will revolve around the rez-ability.
It's so powerful that current Mercy feels like her hands are tied behind her back in order to balance the rez somehow.

Speak for yourself. Rez was never a problem in 1.0 except for DPS feelz. Multi-Rez felt great for Mercy and her team.

Yeah, sucked for the other team, but so does every ult.

Judging by the responses on the PTR Feedback page, I'm nowhere near alone in that, either.
02/07/2018 05:28 PMPosted by ForceComdr
I think i actually like it better as it is now.

Before you felt like you had to hold your ult for the "right time" or waste the double rez. Now i can ult whenever it's needed and i only rez when it's safe cuz of the snare and cast time.

I don't feel as hamstrung and the play feels a little smoother.

I understand your point of view, and while I agree with you, there is still one thing that bugs me. During the midfight, without Valkyrie available, Mercy has else nothing to do other than heal and dmg boost. She cannot deal damage of her own, unlike the other healers, or else the team never receives effective healing (her dmg output isn't worth it anyways) ; she cannot rez every 30 seconds given how vulnerable when she tries (even during Valk, which is supposed to enhance your movement capabilities) ; and she doesn't have any other useful ability for the team effort. Ana has got her Sleep Dart and Bio-Nade, Lucio can Speed Boost - Amp It Up, Zen's Discord Orb is fantastic, and don't even get me started about Moira. This makes Mercy's kit way too linear, and not very fun after a while. I know she's supposed to be rather simple to understand, but still. The fact is, with Valk as an ultimate and Rez as an ability, Mercy hasn't got any room left for another ability anyway, which hurts her even more.
02/07/2018 05:31 PMPosted by Roflknife
02/07/2018 05:23 PMPosted by GammaDelta

I can. Easily.
And I don't see a reason why that wouldn't be possible easily.
If you want to make up that some sort of god entity always prophesized that Mercy should have a rez-ability, well, you can do that, but I don't see a reason for why that should be a thing.

My point was: what do you propose in exchange for Resurrect ? You can't just delete an ability altogether, without anything in return. Nothing isn't an option either, unless you really want Mercy to be very linear and a worse hero.
02/07/2018 05:37 PMPosted by Succubus
02/07/2018 05:18 PMPosted by Roflknife

Speak for yourself. Rez was never a problem in 1.0 except for DPS feelz. Multi-Rez felt great for Mercy and her team.

Speak for yourself.
Rez was a problem in 1.0. For everyone.
The likelyhood of blizzard removing rez is very low, they want to balance it to better reflect the skill and risk required for the enemies to have actually gotten the kills in the first place. Maybe make her have to collect something like torb does for armour? I don't know i'm not a game developer or professional player.
02/07/2018 05:49 PMPosted by Roflknife

Speak for yourself.

Again, the hundreds of posts in the PTR Feedback forum seem to disagree.

Stick to speaking for yourself.
This is a great post, which I largely agree with. What I disagree with what would be the best small buff.

Personally I think the fact she has a rez on cooldown makes her power so much less ult dependant than Mercy 1.0.

I also think her ult is boring, it just feels gimmicky to fly with a weak chain heal/dmg. I'd rather Valkyrie be a single target but let's make to so in addition to the single target heals/damage, it takes 1 second to charge a 2 second invincibility on the target, and to charge the next invincibility, you need to charge someone else. I suspect it could be OP so they may have to tone down the parameters, but I reckon she'd be a lot more fun and much more complete.
02/07/2018 05:49 PMPosted by Roflknife

Speak for yourself.

ya, I mean you can just look at the pro scene to see he's right. 2.0 mercy in every game. 1.0 mercy in..... oh wait, she was barely in any game ever.

silly me.
op double ult idea: yeah it would add more play to her - an improvement. i like to not look away from screen to see what ult ability i would be selecting - especially if it its a clutch play and people still insta focus Mercys (as if mercy shutdown is as valuable as mercy 1.0 shutdown) anyway.

I suggest a different #JumpyDoctorRez:

- You have 20 seconds of valk time - battle mercy jetpack as usual.

- You have the ability to [E] Resurrect (instantaneously as in the perevious iteration of mercy 2.0 patch). But - there are differences noted below.

- If you rez any hero's token strait away during valk [boom: hit q again], you can get 5 member AOE ressurection.

-The longer the clock has run down on your valk, the less number of team members you can AOE rez.

-At 5s left of valk or less you can only rez one hero from their token.

- the rez and specifically number of ressurections gained from your use of E ability reduces the time or charge left in your Valkyrie.

- If you only rez'd one hero near the start of your valk you get to keep maybe 75% of your remaining valk time. This would let her keep some of her ult influence in low level un-grouped-up fights.

- If you didn't use resurrect during your valkarie: you would have not traded any of your Valk time for Ressurection use and you can battle mercy for the full 20s.

Maybe if 5 person insta rez is considered untennable, you could make it rez 5 but only the first is instant, subsequent rez would need you to hold down e (while still standing at the first dead token) for 1 second for each hero token in AOE range to rez them (should you survive), or maybe incremental backoff timing suck as 0s, 0.5s, 1.2s, 2.1s, 3.2s ). Lifting e would allow you to go back into standard valk with any remaing ult time minus the energy the rez used. As high level players know to focus the mercy that is using rez there would be an unlikeliness for her to achieve a meta breaking 5x rez.

This adds a more judgement and interesting to watch, textured chain of events to mercy's plays. (ya know: gotta sell it to the bliz team based on ratings or whatever)

Upvote post if you like the idea, #JumpyDoctorRez on Twitter friends :)

This is 2018's #1 best-of both-worlds-patch to make.

my thoughts on mercy patch though:
100% feels like the patch based on high-tier play with disregard for 99% of games played in comp. I feel like mercy was already the worst to solo queue and then after the nerf = horrible. You cannot rez in any team fight at all now - it is a joke. And if you did manage to live through it was at the expense of 6 seconds of healing which is akin to letting two people die.

The rationale behind the nerfs: her ult +rez/rez-reset has too much impact with no-counter-play. I don't watch enough masters to verify this - yet so many genjis can get quadras very easy in every gold and plat game I play - still a crap load more influence in gold/plat then mercy but the too-much-impact-no-counter rationale is not applied.