Can we lock comp to need mics?

Competitive Discussion
Are you telling me the person who buys tons of loot boxes, has all the fancy legendary skins, doesn't have the money to go buy am microphone? If you can't or refuse to communicate with a team why are you playing in competative?

We need to just lock competitive from people who do not have microphones.
No talke in compe oly kry babis plyin liek bad an baming te deam four id
what we "need" is for the spam, insults, and sexual harassment to stop. fix those and maybe people will feel safe to be in chat. if blizzard forces it, a bunch of people will stop playing. that may be ok for you, but that might not be ok for blizzard or activision.
Can we lock comp to Plat and above?

See what I did there?
02/10/2018 02:51 PMPosted by Haresay
Are you telling me the person who buys tons of loot boxes, has all the fancy legendary skins, doesn't have the money to go buy am microphone? If you can't or refuse to communicate with a team why are you playing in competative?

We need to just lock competitive from people who do not have microphones.

Copy and pasted from another post I made on a thread with the exact same topic. Mutliple times....

Why would I use my mic when no one listens?

"Hey team? I'm not sure if this double sniper thing is working. We've been spawn camped for a minute 30." No one switches off. No one says anything.

"Say Genji? I know you've eleventy hours on him, but you're on your 4th death in under 1 minute, and 3 people on the other team directly counter you. Could you switch?" Doesn't switch. Doesn't say anything.

"Reaper above! Diving in with ult. We need to split up in about 6 seconds." DIE DIE DIE! QUADRUPLE KILL!

Ad nauseam. For more than two seasons.

Why would I bother? Nearly all teammates in soloq at my rank do not listen. If you can justify me calling out what should be said on mic, and only the important things, while so few listen to any of it, you'll convert me.

At my garbage rank, mics are a hindrance nearly always. Add in the toxicity aspect of people using it for being a garbage human being? High ranks? It's a great boon.

Feel free to convert me to your side though. I'm happy to listen.
Add more voice line choices to the game and it wouldn't be a problem. Anyway, I've won games with teams that have not communicated over the microphone at all. A microphone can help, depending how it's used that is, but it's not compulsory for victories. For example, shouting toxicity over the microphone isn't helpful, saying you need heals but not pressing the "I need healing" key isn't helpful, saying you can see an enemy in a building but not saying which building isn't helpful, and so on.
An accurate title:

"Can we lock in the need for mindcrippling, ego destroying, homophobic, racist, sexist toxicity in 9 games out of 10?"

Aka. have a mic.

See what I did there? LOL.

Edit: In all seriousness, I think you are beating a dead horse and you are asking for something that a game with an actual serious comp mode would have. As always, the answer is find a six stack through Gamerlink (phone app) and stop playing solo.

Also, here's a hint: You expect things based on your personal preferences and experiences and when these expectations aren't met you create a forum post on something that the company that produced the game sat down, talked about and agreed would increase the issues with toxicity that the community (not the company as it doesn't matter to them one way or another beyond whether players keep playing or not - which they do by the way) are having and, hence, decided not to implement. This company is aware of your desire, but has obtained statistical data via intern survey of various Overwatch related forums and polling sites as well as the number of in-game reports when mics were all active and knows what should be obvious: Mics can decrease player satisfaction and result in player game time decreasing significantly due to "Forget this toxic stuff. I'm going to play BF1 instead." However, they have taken your complaint under advisement - along with hundreds of others - and are looking for ways to appease you (perhaps a more robust communication wheel, but it feels clunky so they aren't sure if that's a good solution), but just saying "we are fixing this" or "we are looking into this" seems the best method to date and has shown better player satisfaction based on comments and active players.

If you think no one is listening, you are VERY wrong.

If you think they aren't doing something about it, you are very wrong (even saying they are is doing something).

If you think everything you do here isn't been collected as data for something, you are quite wrong.

If you think the likeliness of them doing anything about your specific problem in a timely manner such that it is resolved while you still care about it is low, then you are REALLY right.

GG.
I say yes. Because its a hell of alot faster to do callouts and give pointers like 'Reaper far right. Teleporting above us'. Then sitting there. Typing it out. Then dying because you chose to type it out.

In all my games, I have yet to meet an actual toxic person. I've met the people who love the meme's 'Do you kno de wei' stuff. Blah BLah Blah. But everyone I've met is nice.

Callouts, communication. That helps in a game like this. Whats so bad about having a mic????
Having a mic is not essential, besides people use it more to trade insults than to converse on strategy.
It's also worth point out that the devs probably have two criteria for whether they will fix or do something about a problem:

1. Does it keep players playing or playing more?

2. How does this effect player satisfaction with the game and overall income per quarter?

Bonus: How much attention does this problem have in the local streaming, Reddit and forum comminity and can we safely ignore it? (because PR is important and fixing things costs quite a bit of money in programming time, testing and the like). Usually they can safely ignore everything because gamers don't tend to walk on a game when they are addicted to it like crack !@#$%^- (aka. SR) and there's a history of complaining in gaming that dates back to the dinosaurs that has proven that only a certain critical mass of complaints stemming from a truly broken game actually has any effect on income and player base and Blizzard knows exactly what that point is and knows how to just keep above it.
Can we lock accounts from using the forums until they utilize the search function?
everyone claims there's constant sexual abuse and racism misogyny blah blah blah, Do you even play? there's a section under the report people for not communicating with the team. You can also block and squelch their chat. Boom you have your Zen silence away from the troll. If it's just someone with !@#$ty opinions you don't like too bad? People are allowed to have their opinions.

You all talk like overwatch would be better if no one was allowed to speak to eachother.

[Tons of claims to not be backed up by evidense]

I'm, one going to ask you for citation, and two, It's not for me to communicate things to other players, it's for other players to make call outs.

You all act like you run into horrible toxicity because the only people that have mics are aweful people, and that making it so everyone used their mic would make everyone horribly toxic. Is this even true? I've only encountered 1 toxic person a day, and that's just someone who's already angry about being on a losing streak. with actual trolls being few and far between.

The point of Competative is to play to attempt to reach a higher standing so you can attempt to go into a team. To have some satisfaction of where you are placed. More people -troll- comp because they know they are ruining it for other people. IF you want to play for fun there's quick play offering a casual experience. Or Arcade.

If you all Feel that making it so everyone on your team was required to use a microphone would lead to no further team work and make things harder, then I am sorry to say you shouldn't be playing overwatch. It's a Team based game. Even if it doesn't like to act like it with SR sometimes, Working with your team is super important. IT's why when you get into a match and you've 3- or even 6 manned with your close friends you tend to demolish through ranks of people at your SR. Because the opponents team probably doesn't have Microphones. They aren't communicating.

If you feel someones going to be Toxic for you picking hanzo, and you hear your whole team complaining about you picking a character and only a single character, and asking for you to change? Guess what it's not your team that's being toxic, it's you. It's going to be very unpopular and I'm sure I'm going to trigger a number of you by saying this.
But this is a Team game, play with your team, work with your team, and if you can't work with your team maybe you shouldn't play competitive until you are only full stacked up on a 6 man team with only your close friends.
OK. Mic now required for Overwatch. I'm still not talking into it or listening. 90% of the time there's some idiot singing, playing music, or just annoying noise. No one makes any useful call outs. Overextending Genji's trying to 1v3 yelling "HEALS!"
Nope.
I have a $150 mic and I never turn on comms in competitive. It has proven to be more detrimental than helpful outside of organized scrims and tournaments.
I'm more concerned by the fact that you all hold such a low opinion of your fellow players.
At Haresay:

Because I have real experience with toxicity in the game. I have read it and heard it and experienced it leveled at me.

For instance, I'm black and I have a strong accent. The amount of times I have heard the N-word in voice chat directed at me with serious negative undertones is shocking. I'm not talking "as many as I can count on my fingers and toes" here. I'm talking dozens of times.

If someone abused you in chat and you silenced them like you say, wouldn't the ache and anger still last on? Some people are pretty calm about it. A LOT of people are tilted and highly effected - especially by personal comments (which there are a lot of).

You need to take a step back and look at who you are talking to, bro. Those that say there isn't toxicity tend to be the exact people that call me a N-word in chat and tilt me out.

Do I have the right not to be called a N-word in game? The ToS says I do. When I get called that every 5th word even when I try really hard to sound like some mid-west white dude? Something is wrong.

I laugh at people that think people aren't going to insult someone for playing Hanzo when they don't like it (even when its a good pick, but their opinion differs this one time). I laugh at people who are hard skinned and don't think the terrible things they hear are toxicity. I laugh at people who sit by when some 10 year old little girl is being verbally abused for playing Mercy by real life adults and is receiving sexually comments because of her gender and think "boys will be boys".

In real life people would get beaten down for that last one. No one would stand by and let it happen. They would step in and say, "are you insane?"

In real life calling someone the n-word where I live would get you killed.

Toxicity is real and forced mic is bad for everyone.

I'm more concerned by the fact that you all hold such a low opinion of your fellow players.

When the proof through experience is so overwhelmingly in favor of people are just plain nasty... Well, you get it.
02/10/2018 06:20 PMPosted by Cheesecake
OK. Mic now required for Overwatch. I'm still not talking into it or listening. 90% of the time there's some idiot singing, playing music, or just annoying noise. No one makes any useful call outs. Overextending Genji's trying to 1v3 yelling "HEALS!"
Nope.

Only required for Competitive, and onto pof that, There's a report button for people like that, and for people who refuse to communicate with the team (Which there's already a button for)
02/10/2018 06:30 PMPosted by Thisismy193
At Haresay:

Because I have real experience with toxicity in the game. I have read it and heard it and experienced it leveled at me.

For instance, I'm black and I have a strong accent. The amount of times I have heard the N-word in voice chat directed at me with serious negative undertones is shocking. I'm not talking "as many as I can count on my fingers and toes" here. I'm talking dozens of times.

If someone abused you in chat and you silenced them like you say, wouldn't the ache and anger still last on? Some people are pretty calm about it. A LOT of people are tilted and highly effected - especially by personal comments (which there are a lot of).

You need to take a step back and look at who you are talking to, bro. Those that say there isn't toxicity tend to be the exact people that call me a N-word in chat and tilt me out.

Do I have the right not to be called a N-word in game? The ToS says I do. When I get called that every 5th word even when I try really hard to sound like some mid-west white dude? Something is wrong.

I laugh at people that think people aren't going to insult someone for playing Hanzo when they don't like it (even when its a good pick, but their opinion differs this one time). I laugh at people who are hard skinned and don't think the terrible things they hear are toxicity. I laugh at people who sit by when some 10 year old little girl is being verbally abused for playing Mercy by real life adults and is receiving sexually comments because of her gender and think "boys will be boys".

In real life people would get beaten down for that last one. No one would stand by and let it happen. They would step in and say, "are you insane?"

In real life calling someone the n-word where I live would get you killed.

Toxicity is real and forced mic is bad for everyone.

When the proof through experience is so overwhelmingly in favor of people are just plain nasty... Well, you get it.

One, I'm not going to believe you Because no one pulls out the victim card that fast if they are being honest. And two even if you were telling the truth I'd love to wager you reported them for it. Here's a hard tip for someone, Don't put on a fake midwestern accent, I garuntee you. You are probably sounding more like a racist meme of a black guy trying to talk like a nerdy white guy. So the white people you're with are insulted and insult you for it. Because just like how you'd find it racist if a white person started acting like a stereotypical black guy. Maybe they find it racist you're attempting to mimic an accent from a region you're not from. Like how I'd irritate german or french players by putting on a fake funny accent. It's very noticable when someone does it, even though you think you're doing it well the people you're talking to me may be highly insulted.

I highly doubt, Doubt that you have ever encountered a 10 year old girl playing mercy and heard them become sexually abused over mic. Because one, the game is rated T for teen. Two sexual assault is a crime, no one says 'boys will be boys' about that kind of !@#$. No one. Boys will be Boys is used to describe when a boy injures himself skate boarding. Or when boys or men in their own circle of friends act in ways that are extremely vulgure. Example. My circle of friends all call me a F***** and I call them F***** You know what we all have in common (not our skin color) It's that we're all Bisexual and we go out of our way to be rude to eachother because it's both bonding and shows we actually care.

I find it very hard to believe you live anywhere that is atually difficult to live. You come off like hearing the N-word sends you into a violent rage. If a single word, a Single word gets to you that badly. Then I think you seriously need to seek therapy. Don't start with me, 'thousands of years of racism'. If it's something so horrible, and you let it keep effecting you, if You Run from it. You'll never get past it. You'll spend your whole life in stress and fear of some white guy who probably has a black girl friend dropping the N word because he knows it'll piss you off. Because that's the Entire point of insulting someone you don't like, calling them an N-word. and if someone is going to say it to you over the internet. They would likely say it to you to your face. Because one, if you fly off the handle and attack them. They win. If you get pissed about it and go ranting about it. They win. IF you shrug and laugh it off. Calling them something back in return, I don't know maybe call them the N word on back. Guess what? You win. Because you're not letting a word control you.
Still waiting to be converted. My points still stand. : )