Lucio Adjustments Necessary for CTF

General Discussion
1 2 3 9 Next
Highly Rated
After looking over the recents changes and playing competitive CTF, I must ask this blizzard: why is Lucio's kit mostly neglected in regards to holding the flag?

Per your patch-notes, any movement-adjusting abilities immediately drop the flag yet the only thing inhibiting Lucio is amping speed. Why is it he's able to wall ride or boost someone else's speed while they are carrying the flag? Theoretically if Lucio's amp'd speed is justified to have him drop the flag, why is another hero able to reap the same effects? In addition to this, Lucio's speed-boost from jumping off walls isn't negated or punished, leaving to Lucios abusing map geometry and avoiding 90% of gunfire while holding a flag. I highly recommend looking at Nepal's geometry, as a Lucio can easily skate the outskirt of the map and cap a flag.

I would highly recommend this be looked into, and I've listed a few ideas below.
1. Incorporate the flag being dropped upon using any passive ability.
(EX. Lucio's Wall Ride, Pharah's booster, Genji/Hanzo Wall Climb)
-If heros such as D.Va and Winston aren't able to use their key kits and must fight on the ground at equal footing, every hero should be forced to as well. It's only fair.
2. Add some speed-cap for Flag Bearers. Causing the flag to drop for any hero being speed-boosted would be unfair and would fail to provide the player with information as to why. Due to this, I'd recommend adding a speed cap instead; this way the flag bearer isn't punished nor benefited by Lucio's abilities.
-This change is suggested due to a problematic comp run in comp: quad tank. D.Va, Winston, Rein and Road use Moira and Lucio's abilities to grab a flag. With Roadhog holding a flag, Lucio boosting and D.va/Rein blocking dmg, you are literally never killing this comp nor stalling their retreat.
I think its as simple as making him drop the flag when he wallrides. But i do like your suggestion to add a speed cap to the flag carrier. that would solve his amp it up problem. it would still let you position your team but not make it unfair to stop the carrier.
Just ran into an issue with a Lucio wallriding Oasis's exterior walls to the point he was, for all intents and purposes, above map geometry. By hugging a corner and "climbing" a wall, he got well above the holes that map up the exterior of the map's edges. This is exactly what I meant when I said Wallriding makes the gamemode unfair if Lucio retains his movement abilities.
My favorite part of all these posts are that, as the mode stands now, Lucio mains, who have been dumped on for the past 6 months, can just style everyone in this mode and people are po'd, lol. It's an arcade mode, people are having fun.
Yeah I think this is proof enough that Lucio is a touch too strong for CTF.

https://gfycat.com/TallGrandioseFruitfly
I think all that needs to happen is to make the flag carrier move at their base movement speed only.
We're patching Lúcio very soon.

He will drop the flag on wall ride.

Patch will most likely hit Tuesday (pacific time) on PC and Wednesday/Thurs (pacific) for Console (we have to get the patch through certification -- that's why there is a difference in release time -- sorry).

Not only is his speed unreasonably fast with the boost from Wall Ride but he can also get to places that are very difficult to defend against.
Highly Rated
02/12/2018 05:57 PMPosted by Jeff Kaplan

Thank the gods
Highly Rated

Patch will most likely hit Tuesday (pacific time) on PC and Wednesday/Thurs (pacific) for Console (we have to get the patch through certification -- that's why there is a difference in release time -- sorry).

Not only is his speed unreasonably fast with the boost from Wall Ride but he can also get to places that are very difficult to defend against.

Thank you. It is really awesome how active you guys are nowadays.
THANK THE LORD
Dang Papa Jeff laying it out. I will finally rank in that mode now. Been waiting for this to change.

papa jeff <3
While you're at it, since you're so keen on nerfing Lucio in the only mode he's still really fun as, can you work on his soundwave in general? You 'adjusted' global momentum, and it killed the usefulness of his soundwave.
02/12/2018 05:59 PMPosted by MagyTheMage
THANK THE LORD
JEFF HAS SPOKEN

F I N A L L Y

Guess I got to play tonight.

Thanks a bunch Jeff! The new capture the flag, and new map is the most fun I've had in a while! Solid job making it. Is the new map in any way based on the "India control point map" that was teased during development?

OMG yes

Thank you. He's so annoying in CTF at the moment.