When should I dragonblade?

General Discussion
I'm really bad at dragonblade and I never know when to use it. When should I use it? I feel like I hold onto it for too long.
The key is to coordinate. Talk to your team and find out when it's most beneficial for a push or defense.
If there is a Zen wait till after transcendence is used same with sound barrier also look out for S76 as some of them will intentionally hold on to their ults just to counter yours, beyond that don't let them see you coming and make sure you know where the supports are.

I don't actually play Genji but I have played enough supports to know when you are most effective which is when we are distracted during a team fight that's when you use it not before otherwise you run the risk of being killed mid animation.
02/11/2018 07:39 AMPosted by Sallian
If there is a Zen wait till after transcendence is used same with sound barrier also look out for S76 as some of them will intentionally hold on to their ults just to counter yours, beyond that don't let them see you coming and make sure you know where the supports are.

I don't actually play Genji but I have played enough supports to know when you are most effective which is when we are distracted during a team fight that's when you use it not before otherwise you run the risk of being killed mid animation.

Unless I have a good reason to use it before I will hold Rein and Zarya Ults if I expect a Genji ult to come in. Most other ults can be stopped or blocked with shields, walls, etc... but with Genji you have to counter him.
i would say the best time is hard to say, but if you watch streamers (shadder2k, shadowburn, necros, and profit) it may be hard at first but waiting is one of the best things to do with a dragonblade, knowing your targets health, how many slices and dices it will take to kill them, being aware of enemy ults and comp, are just some of the many things that will give you better ult. but i key thing to remember is NOT EVERY BLADE WILL BE A 6K, 5K 4K, some will be duds, but thats ok, you dont always need to aim for big plays, sometimes just taking out one person that has ult or is using is extremely helpful. keep these things in mind when you play and you'll see a ton of improvement:)
you can use it anytime you want since the charge on it is the quickest in the game because balanced
and no matter where you use it your guaranteed a double kill.
There is no definite answer. The short answer would be, when your team needs it. when a fight can be won without it or could not be won regardlessly, you would not use it

In addition you would try to adapt your ult usage with your team via communication.
It all depends on stuff like teamcomps, map, positioning, ults available, etc. there is no "right" answer. But my basic rules of thumb are:

1. Clean-up. Don't initiate with Dblade because a lot of things can easily screw it over (Trans, CC, movement abilities that take them out of range, etc.). Since Dblade relies heavily on getting the first kill/reset to snowball it's ideal to wait until everyone's already weakened so you can rampage uncontested.

2. Wombos. Zarya has Grav and the opposing Zen already used up Trans? Easy teamwipe. Combo Dblade with Grav, Nano, and even Earthshatter and EMP.

3. Baiting ultimates. A lot of Zens and Lucios have this habit of ulting as soon as an opposing Genji ults to prevent teamwipes, so you can bait them out fairly easily to let your team capitalize on it. Example: your team has a Genji and Zarya and the other team has a Zen. All three of you have your ults. Genji uses Dblade and Zen reacts with a Trans. Instead of trying to kill people through the Trans (please don't ever do this), Genji backs off. After Trans is over your Zarya Gravs the other team, and they have nothing to counter it because they already uses Trans.

Also going with the above: being nanoed =/= "I must Dblade". If the other team is prepared for a nanoblade they will solo Grav, solo Shatter, hook, hack, sleep, boop, and spread the hell out. Always analyze the situation before slapping that Q. It's better to waste one ult (especially one that charges as fast as Nano) and live than two and die. Plus, you can fake out and bait ults just like with Dblade. Dash into the air and get nanoed so the other team thinks you're gonna Dblade. If they pop their support ults you can wait and Dblade/push in after uncontested.