A wheelchair hero makes no sense

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 5 Next
02/12/2018 02:02 PMPosted by Xaron
What if they're missing a chunk of their spinal cord for some reason? Or they're simply broke and can't afford prothstetics or don't have a good engineer? Or they've never needed for whatever reason.

Judging by how Genji was cut in half he now has a working lower torso I’d say they can make a synthetic spinal cord to replace any damages.
And it seems like at this point Prostethis would be common practice at this point because of how revolutionary it is.

The reason we use Wheelchairs now is because we don’t have advanced enough technology to where we can just replace legs and such.
02/12/2018 02:10 PMPosted by MrFluffyFace
What if they're missing a chunk of their spinal cord for some reason? Or they're simply broke and can't afford prothstetics or don't have a good engineer? Or they've never needed for whatever reason.
Genji got CUT IN HALF.

That's a pretty hefty assumption you've got there.
It's highly possible the wheelchair could be in the past, or more likely, something they use for comfort outside of combat. After-all, it's likely even Junkrat and Mccree remove their prostheses for sleep.

Besides, wheelchairs can be temporary.
02/12/2018 02:08 PMPosted by VitamiX
02/12/2018 02:01 PMPosted by ImNotBrad
With how advanced technology is in Overwatch it doesn’t make sense for a hero to be in a wheelchair.

The same thing can be said about situations in the present.
With all of the technology we have, it doesn't make sense that many people are homeless and eating out of dumpsters.

Advanced technology can’t help Homeless people, they’re homeless because they have no money. And we can’t just give all the homeless money as that would devalue the currency and cause an inflation in prices. Technology can’t fix that.
02/12/2018 02:26 PMPosted by Jask
...Genji got CUT IN HALF.

Judging by how he has a large diagonal scar that goes down his torso on both sides, it’s safe to assume Genji was cut in half.
02/12/2018 02:26 PMPosted by Jask

I always assumed he was cut in half due to his blackwatch skin only having his left arm and shoulder and some of this chest showing and the rest being technology
02/12/2018 02:24 PMPosted by ImNotBrad
Judging by how Genji was cut in half he now has a working lower torso I’d say they can make a synthetic spinal cord to replace any damages.
And it seems like at this point Prostethis would be common practice at this point because of how revolutionary it is.

Apparently, Genji still has his junk so it wasn't quite that drastic and some of it is just a suit.
I'm lost on the whole subject because I've not seen anything official at all.
BECAUSE ROCKET WHEELCHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lucio needs a wheelchair skin.
02/12/2018 02:33 PMPosted by Embattle
I'm lost on the whole subject because I've not seen anything official at all.
Basically Lijang tower was updated to show a wheelchair at one of the desk and people are assuming that hero 27 will be in a wheelchair
Genji got CUT IN HALF.

Not everyone gets to have a government organization take an interest in turning bisected people into robot ninjas
Could be like Hugh Darrow in Deus Ex, where they has a rare genetic condition that makes them incompatible with prosthetics.

Or it could be someone who has an ideological opposition to body modificication.
02/12/2018 02:09 PMPosted by possumcorpse
The X-Men had access to alien and future technology and professor x was still rolling around in a wheelchair. Prominent fantasy world precedent brah.

Exactly. Wouldn't even be surprised if they make a Charles Xavier kind of hero.
I agree with you. It doesn't make sense to have field agents be restricted like that, and I don't see OW ever sending personel into the battle like that. Does that mean wheelchair bound heroes don't exist in OW? Nope! I hope there is a comic showing more of the OW members back at HQ etc. Not every hero wields a gun.
Or maybe they are just too lazy to walk

Heck I will take a high tech wheelchair over walking any day
Junkrat: "advanced prostetics"
why get some dinky legs when you could get a hover chair?

which you could mount weapons and gadgets on while also still carrying another weapon in your arms.

Unlimited power.
02/12/2018 02:05 PMPosted by Nehyaa
some people might not want prosthesis for whatever reason

Kind of like Ana, the idea of personally putting yourself in a chair for ideological or for some godforsaken reason, sentimental reasons is dumb, unless they are a mega braniac and can make it a tank, which we already have in Eifi, it is simple stubbornness.
If they had torb rolling around in a future tech wheel chair would it really change the game all that much? The only issue might be crouch and jumping as far as modeling it but just a lift system that lets the chair move around a bit and it would be fine.

as for why a person would make a choice to have a chair over other stuff. It's easy to write lore for almost anything really. Like if it was Torb you could say he was crushed by one of his robots and he stays in the chair to remind himself of the cost of his creation etc.