A wheelchair hero makes no sense

General Discussion
I mean, it seems like this is a game about 0.001%ers doing battle with their expensive toys. I mean, it can't be cheap to hop into a private hoverjet and cruise halfway across the world at a moments notice, with an armada of ammunition and technology, devices that always appear pristine and work flawlessly. None of them are going without food or shelter. These are wealthy people doing battle with other wealthy people. The only reason, then, to have a wheelchair is refusal to use a prosthesis.
I would like a wheelchair hero, mostly because it would be a cool silhouette and a unique design, but I'm afraid that your logic might be right on this front lmfao. Seems like biotic limbs are only an improvement to a wheelchair.
02/12/2018 02:15 PMPosted by xavvypls
I don't mind a wheelchair hero (or hoverchaired one). But can we please actually have an actual interesting thing about them other than just "the butt of wheelchair jokes?" I wouldn't be able to take the amount of cringe.

A wheelchair hero would kind of look out of place in their current century in my opinion. UNLESS... he or she had a compelling backstory. If it's to be done, I only ask that it be done well. Not just to fill in a checkbox of "we need a wheelchair hero, just cuz. lelz."

~Sincerely Yours xoxo,
a Lover of True, Fair, and Fun Balance.
#RevertMercy
"In their current century"
...Overwatch is only like 60 years in the future. Same century as right now.
He would either be cybernetic or he'd be in a levitating chair.

edit: He'd only be in a levitating chair if and only if it gave him an advantage... ie, allowing him to carry something with him or what not.

Could prove to be interesting.
How about a floating chair? A rocket powered floating chair?
02/12/2018 02:02 PMPosted by Xaron
What if they're missing a chunk of their spinal cord for some reason? Or they're simply broke and can't afford prothstetics or don't have a good engineer? Or they've never needed for whatever reason.

Excuse me but he works as a scientist at the Chinese equivalent of nasa

I think he can afford it
02/12/2018 02:01 PMPosted by ImNotBrad
Now I’m not saying a hero in a wheelchair would be bad I’m just saying that a hero in a wheelchair makes no sense because of the World Overwatch is placed in.

The Overwatch universe is known for their advanced prosthetics, look at Genji, McRee and Junkrat for example. As well as the biotic technology which can heal wounds incredibly fast. With how advanced technology is in Overwatch it doesn’t make sense for a hero to be in a wheelchair.

Professor Xavier was in a hover chair and was the founding member of the x-men. Dont !@#$ on wheelchairs bro.
Junkrat is missing an arm and a leg
He could be the pyro everyone wants.. call him hot wheels
This is all speculation. We have no idea who the hero is, or how the wheelchair plays into it. We know there will be a short film, that it will likely take place in Lijiang, and likely use a wheelchair somewhere in the story.

The wheelchair could belong to the hero, or it could belong to someone the hero saves, or the villain. Nobody knows what it means.

As for the wheelchair. It honestly isn't so bad even if it was true. You have obviously never heard about my paraplegic mad scientist character riding on a rocket-shooting and chainsaw-for-wheels death machine wheelchair.
What meta joke am I missing here? I must have seen 5 posts on wheelchairs today.
I mean, Ana and Reinhardt are walking examples of people theoretically needing cybernetic replacements, of eyes in this case, and not getting them due to not wanting to get them. The capacity for major bodily overhaul after injury does not equal the automatic application of these uses.
Could be a case like Ana's where the person deliberately chooses to opt out of prosthetics for personal reasons.
Other reasons could include financial, cultural, or medical.

02/12/2018 02:09 PMPosted by possumcorpse
The X-Men had access to alien and future technology and professor x was still rolling around in a wheelchair. Prominent fantasy world precedent brah.
To be fair... the reason was entirely psychological. His legs did start working again. His brain was just convinced they still didn't and he couldn't use them, even when he tried.

But yeah, ultimately MST3K mantra. Even the Prof's reasoning was for the sake of a narrative.
Zenyatta doesnt use his legs

I think Blizzard is ahead of you on this one
Wheelchair makes perfect sense for a tank hero.

The hero can't use their legs, so they built a power suit to walk.
What if their wheelchair also hovers and it doubles as a command station. They also enjoy sitting.
I see your point however I'd like a hero in a wheelchair for the sole reason of being able to play as a hero in a wheelchair. As someone in a wheelchair in real life, there are barely any games with cool wheelchair protagonists. I think overwatch would make for the perfect game to have one.
I'd be happy if we get something like this:

https://battleborn.com/en/battleborn/kleese/
What if they're missing a chunk of their spinal cord for some reason? Or they're simply broke and can't afford prothstetics or don't have a good engineer? Or they've never needed for whatever reason.

So how is someone in such a terrible situation going to be a hero of any kind
02/12/2018 07:52 PMPosted by ScaryDucks

So how is someone in such a terrible situation going to be a hero of any kind

Junkrat is literally 25-50% scrap metal.