Why do you main mercy?

General Discussion
To all mercy mains out there.

This is not meant to be in any way toxic or mean, I just want to know why you love playing Mercy so much. Thanks!

(To those who don't play mercy maybe just say why you dont)
Helping others' have a second chance and turn the hopeless into hopeful

Killing doesn't interest me, but healing does.
Familiarity, because I've played so much TF2, flight and damage buffing are nice, and it feels good to pull off a sudden pistol-whipping on unsuspecting DPSers

Personally I couldn't care less for res, but it's there and I'm not against having it
I enjoy her flight ability. Plus I’m a nice guy that likes to help people so she just fit like a glove for me c:
I do not main mercy (never have) because my entire impact relies on the rest of the team performing adequately. Sure, I can rez you, but if you just die again it's pointless. I would rather rely on her than be her and rely on the other 5.

Basically she is an aggressive healer, but very passive in her overall play. Her greatness is shown through her team. If her team fails her, she's useless. And, they usually turn on her out of frustration.

I main tanks instead. They are the lynch pin. Every engagement relies on their proper decision making. CATCHPHRASE!
I've been a supp main since tera

also I hate myself.
I'm far from a Mercy main, but I did have to play her a lot during her grossly overpowered phase. The thing I enjoyed about her was bouncing around the map being chased by every member of the enemy team. It was like a game within the game. It was fun.
The reason I play Mercy (Well I also main Zen) is because I enjoy using her guardian angel to zip around and heal my team. I also enjoy using her pistol to help out the team fight once in a while. IMO it's not just holding down M1 all the time although I do get carried away alot when I'm trying to 1v1 against Tracers and Genjis.

I want to use Ana, but the fact that she has no mobility just doesn't work out for me. Zen has no mobility, but he could work like a dps so that's why I enjoy playing him as well.
I don't main Mercy but I used to enjoy playing her semi regularly before the Valkyrie nerf. It felt exhilarating to fly back and forward between teammates, dodging the flankers diving after me. I enjoyed playing Mercy because her play style was just pure healing but she had distinct power.

The difference between today and back then lies in her ultimate. When I had resurrection, I knew I had a powerful card to play but the question laid in when to use it. This required me to track the enemy ultimates and to know if it was worth it to resurrect in that moment. For example, if I resurrected my teammates while their Reaper still has Death Blossom, then I've effectively wasted my ultimate since we just die again.

With Valkyrie and resurrection as an E, it doesn't quite feel like Mercy impacts the game as consistently or as hard. It's difficult for the player to feel rewarded for what they're doing since it's not immediate. Also, I just miss her old ultimate voice lines. "I will watch over you!" Just feels empty to me.

TLDR: I miss Heroes Never Die and Helden Sterben Nicht.
I just always liked playing the support/healers in games, and helping the team.

I guess Mercy is my favorite of the roster because I like being able to fly to my teammates, and I feel I do the most with her.
I started maining Mercy because I hate relying on other people to keep me in the fight(Trust issues lol), so I went to the supports to see what fit my playstyle the best and Mercy's mobility and the idea of bringing teammates back into the fight if things weren't going our way interested me a lot way back in early 2017. I liked playing her because I wasn't relying on my teammates to sustain me, but the only thing I hate about playing her(Even now) is when I have teammates that won't 'taxi' me to point faster after I respawn, or when I have teammates that just flat out WON'T protect me from flankers.

I started playing her less after the rework, and now I only play her on defense or if my team needs reliable heals desperately. She's still my second most played hero in competitive, but it's honestly not because I enjoy her, most of it was because she was a must pick that I was forced into playing since nobody else wanted to pick her, and now I only play her if I feel it's necessary.

I wish we had 1.0 back, mostly because I had more fun with that than I ever have with Valk at any point in time, and especially now since all I do is heal and heal more.
After Junkrat, I found Mercy to be an absolute sweetheart! Me and mine fell in love with her, not just by her mechanics and personality, but also from hearing one simple voiceline in-game:

"Medic! Oh wait, that's me!"

We had been playing "RE:ORC" a long time before we got into Overwatch, and do you know just how irritated and irrational we got by hearing two medics call for medic?!?! (Note: Yes, I know they're calling out for help themselves, but it was still kinda like "What?? But you're MEDIC!!")

We hear Mercy getting flanked and suddenly she calls out "Medic!" and we practically face palm. "NOT YOU TOO, MER-"

"Oh wait, that's me!"

O_O

BOOM. Instant infatuation. The rest, as they say, is history. Well, at least my history with her. Now I'm a die-hard Mercy main ^_^
I mained Medic in TF2, since I have really bad aim, so I contribute to the team in another way, eheh. Mercy players similarly to Medic, plus she's really pretty and I fell in love with her compassionate personality. She was also a lot of fun before the rework, but that's a story for another time.
I'm not sure if you are actually being authentic in asking what us Mercy mains think. You certainly don't care about what I think about Mercy, so making this thread is both ironic and questionable.

Any reason why the sudden change of heart? You seem pretty set in your opinions of the hero and who main her. Weren't you the one who said this about mercy not too long ago?

02/11/2018 11:47 AMPosted by DrPizza
remove mercy

02/12/2018 04:41 PMPosted by DrPizza
02/12/2018 04:38 PMPosted by xavvypls
The problem with your logic, is that whether you one-trick as Mercy or Widowmaker. As long as you're still making an effort to try to win, you aren't doing anything wrong. It's perfectly fine to love playing a hero. There is no law that says that you have to switch. It's kind of par for the course in a team-based game.

You can offer suggestions and ask people nicely, but you can't make other people switch if they don't want to. If they don't switch a different hero, that's completely their choice.

Also the part about a dev update doesn't exactly favor Mercy mains. Especially the latest one where she's nearly gutted, so I don't know what you were ranting about there.

~Sincerely Yours xoxo,
a Lover of True, Fair, and Fun Balance.
#RevertMercy

mercy isnt getting reverted you dumb moron

~Sincerely Yours xoxo,
a Lover of True, Fair, and Fun Balance.
#RevertMercy
In order:
1. Highly mobile and consistent healer.

2. Rezing allies to give them second chances.

3. Damage boost makes things die faster.

4. Minimal aim required so I can focus more on everything else.

Also worth noting: I only started playing Mercy because I had garbage FPS and couldn't play anything else, but I ended up enjoying her far more tha I would've thought.
Many players prefer not to choose healers in QP and a lot of matches, team without healers tend to lose the match.

Thus, i took up the initiative to pick Mercy as main support. On the other hand, Zen and Lucio are both healers too but i find their healing rate not as effective as Mercy's.

The other healer on par with Mercy's healing rate would be Moira. I'm training to use her well now.
I don't main her in QP and Comp (I use Zenyatta there), but she and Bastion are the ones i get serious with in FFA. I wasn't kidding when i said Mercy can protect the team from widowmakers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wg0ZlGEl06w&t=52

I'm pretty sure i give a surprise to the ones that try to jump me (and my tank) in Quickplay when i do use her there. The moth can bite!

Would anybody mind if i actually try going BattleMercy for a few games?
02/12/2018 06:05 PMPosted by Buttercult
I'm far from a Mercy main, but I did have to play her a lot during her grossly overpowered phase. The thing I enjoyed about her was bouncing around the map being chased by every member of the enemy team. It was like a game within the game. It was fun.

Like how it was in Mercy 1.0. The DPS mains were chasing you around constantly trying to put their DPS jam on your plain support bread, so to speak. People don't seem to care much to focus her now, seems more of an after thought to them now.
02/12/2018 06:39 PMPosted by Hajile
I don't main her in QP and Comp (I use Zenyatta there), but she and Bastion are the ones i get serious with in FFA. I wasn't kidding when i said Mercy can protect the team from widowmakers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wg0ZlGEl06w&t=52

I'm pretty sure i give a surprise to the ones that try to jump me (and my tank) in Quickplay when i do use her there. The moth can bite!

Would anybody mind if i actually try going BattleMercy for a few games?

Mercy in FFA is really fun, oddly one of the few areas she can shine now. Sad that.
As someone with 100's of hours on Mercy since launch (both old mercy and new mercy) I find it insanely enjoyable to use her Guardian Angel ability. Flight feels insanely good to me, and so Valkyrie is very nice as well.

A 2 second cooldown flight ability is insanely fluid gameplay, and I'm so glad that it got the new feature/momentum buff when she was reworked. It completely transformed the ability into an insanely fun, fluid, and skillful mechanic. After 150 hours on new Mercy, I've mastered flinging myself 30 feet in the air, or rounding corners fluidly to dodge genji blade, or propelling myself up and backwards. It's exciting discovering and mastering all the little tricks you can pull off.

As someone who grew up playing MMO's like WoW, Diablo, and Elder Scrolls, I've always had a fascination with the mage/healers/magical classes, and Mercy embodies that entire theme for me. Her glowing wings, healing/damage boosting staff, etc. appeal to me on both a visual and gameplay level, and so I was infatuated with Mercy ever since launch. She feels like I'm playing an MMO in an FPS game.

People like to say Mercy is boring, but that's usually because they just walk around and hold left click on her. They hardly use her GA and don't even understand all of its mechanics, they don't experience the excitement of dodging and weaving through intense battles.