I think I bullied some one-tricks today

General Discussion
Some players just don't want to try new options
While I can't condone how you handled the situation, I also can't condone the one-tricks.

- If I have a one trick Sym on my team who paid $40 to play Sym, and we lose because a Pharah hard countered her, the community thinks that's OK and she shouldn't be reported despite her not working with my team to help counter the Pharah.

- If I paid $40 to play Pharah and my team wants me to switch but I don't because I bought the game to play Pharah, that's throwing and reportable. (or when the team has 4+ DPS like how everyone <removed expletive> about QP being full of DPS).

As Lord Kaplan once said: "You should have a small pool of heros you can play, since some heros more more situational than others, and your hero might not be good in all situations."

Forum Mod Edit: This post has been edited by a moderator due to language. https://us.battle.net/forums/en/code-of-conduct/
Yeah nah you're a jerk. I've won games with 5 Mercy mains before, just going 'oh look, two Mercy players, I'll steal Mercy from them and laugh when they get frustrated that we're losing' is just... very poor form.
While I can't condone how you handled the situation, I also can't condone the one-tricks.

- If I have a one trick Sym on my team who paid $40 to play Sym, and we lose because a Pharah hard countered her, the community thinks that's OK and she shouldn't be reported despite her not working with my team to help counter the Pharah.

- If I paid $40 to play Pharah and my team wants me to switch but I don't because I bought the game to play Pharah, that's throwing and reportable. (or when the team has 4+ DPS like how everyone <removed expletive> about QP being full of DPS).

As Lord Kaplan once said: "You should have a small pool of heros you can play, since some heros more more situational than others, and your hero might not be good in all situations."

Forum Mod Edit: This post has been edited by a moderator due to language. https://us.battle.net/forums/en/code-of-conduct/ "

WRONG!

Also your quoting one part of Jeff’s comment. The part is him saying that you can’t report someone for the hero they’ve chosen.
02/04/2018 06:55 PMPosted by saltycoffee
Yeah nah you're a jerk. I've won games with 5 Mercy mains before, just going 'oh look, two Mercy players, I'll steal Mercy from them and laugh when they get frustrated that we're losing' is just... very poor form.

Not at all.

Playing a competitive game as a one trick without being able to play more than at least a couple heros means you want to be carried. Carried when you keep getting countered. Carried during those times when you force five other players to work around you instead of you working with the team. Or carried when somebody else takes 'your' hero - leaving you no choice but to play another hero very poorly and be dead weight to your team.

One tricking is by its nature poor teamwork.

Let them whine and cry when you have 'stolen' their mains. Mute and block work just fine.
02/04/2018 06:33 PMPosted by OWSaint
Some players just don't want to try new options

Trying new options in a comp environment is probably a bad idea. But so is exploiting that unwillingness and forcing a loss.

So him picking Mercy first and refusing to switch makes him a jerk? It reads like he wanted to play Mercy and the other two were holding his account hostage by threatening to report him for poor team work.
02/04/2018 07:02 PMPosted by ObjectOrient

Not at all.

Playing a competitive game as a one trick without being able to play more than at least a couple heros means you want to be carried. Carried when you keep getting countered. Carried during those times when you force five other players to work around you instead of you working with the team. Or carried when somebody else takes 'your' hero - leaving you no choice but to play another hero very poorly and be dead weight to your team.

One tricking is by its nature poor teamwork.

Let them whine and cry when you have 'stolen' their mains. Mute and block work just fine.

So... because you don't like the way they choose to play, it's okay to intentionally do something you know will give your team a far greater chance of losing? But them playing one hero is totally not okay? It's okay for you to spoil their fun, but on those rare occasion they supposedly spoil yours thats not fine? I'd say not letting people play the heroes they're best at because you don't like those players (since they're one-tricks) is poor teamwork personally...
I only used a few ppl but I'm still new at the game so I'm decent with those few so I can understand why they would be pressed about not being able to use someone they're comfortable with, but I would've just moved on. It's not that serious to be throwing out racial slurs and crying about it. Usually I just wait until everyone locks onto theirs and then figure out what we missing and just learn how to adapt to the situation even if I'm not satisfied with who I've got, which is a good thing cuz it's exposing me to other options.
02/04/2018 07:03 PMPosted by Attlus

So him picking Mercy first and refusing to switch makes him a jerk? It reads like he wanted to play Mercy and the other two were holding his account hostage by threatening to report him for poor team work.

Well yeah, they shouldn't report OP for poor teamwork, but I think OP is still in the wrong here, especially since they appear to be laughing at these Mercy players and gloating about it.

I normally insta-lock D.Va or Moira, but if there's someone who only plays those heroes on my team I will switch to accommodate them. I'd rather do that, and give myself and the team a better chance of winning, than be petty and laugh about the fact that I probably not only made those Mercy players lose, but also myself, and the other two unfortunate people on my team. Try to be the mature person.
Yeah, no. Seems like you're the jerk here, along with the racial slur spouting leaver.

Why would you purposefully hamper someone when they already have such a small skillset? If they can only play Mercy, you're holding your own team back by refusing to let them have her.
Sounds like they had trash attitudes about it, but so did you.

You said it yourself, you could've just played Zen.
02/04/2018 06:59 PMPosted by Maxy
Also your quoting one part of Jeff’s comment. The part is him saying that you can’t report someone for the hero they’ve chosen.

But can I report them for doing nothing about a Pharah that's shoving her rockets <removed expletive> and they can't do anything about it except feed because they can only play one hero?

Is that not poor teamwork?

Forum Mod Edit: This post has been edited by a moderator due to language. https://us.battle.net/forums/en/code-of-conduct/
02/04/2018 07:20 PMPosted by PharahHǝntoi
02/04/2018 06:59 PMPosted by Maxy

But can I report them for doing nothing about a Pharah that's shoving her rockets <removed expletive> and they can't do anything about it except feed because they can only play one hero?

Is that not poor teamwork?

Honestly I think the categories for reporting are a bit dumb. You can't report people for hero picks, and you can't report them just for being bad at the game.
You're not a jerk, but not a good person, at least relative to the Mercy OTP. You acted like a OTP who can't switch and the other player acted like a OTP who can't choose other heroes. Seems equal to me.
I really dislike what you did, but the one trick's behaviour isn't commendable either. You could've played Zen, have a better game and not lose the 50 SR. But you decided to annoy the heck of the OTP's. You reap what you sow, you know?

In regard to one-tricking, it doesn't benefit anybody. If one tricks meet other OTP's with the same hero, what happens? Are they gonna fight for the hero, sulk and rage quit? Everyone should have a decent size of hero pools, ideally a decent amount on their main roles and at least 2 on other roles.
What's with everyone in this thread trying to equate what OP did to the onetricks?

One person in the situation is being inflexible and wants to just play mercy, while another person is throwing, cursing and leaves the game for not getting to play what they want. Like, I understand criticizing OP for not flexing, but he's not as bad these kind of one trick players.

One person is following the rules of the game.
Another is actively being toxic by threatening to file a false report, using RACIAL SLURS, and THROWS THE GAME BY LEAVING.

This forum, smh.
Everyone involved in this are jerks.

OP and the One-tricks handled the situation like children. One clearly more so than the other, but someone being worse than you doesn't excuse bad behavior.

(that is, if this were true. It's more than likely not.)
@OP As far as I am concerned, do whatever makes you happy.

I started playing Symmetra more intensely and man, the salt mines open up immediately when you pick her on attack.

I have been accused of throwing so many times I lost count. And it's not just that people are toxic at that point. They pick characters to throw the game themselfes.

So yeah, go ahead and enjoy the game as you want to. As long as you fulfill your role in the character you've picked, nothing should happen to you. Go for the objectives and act normal to other players. If they demand you switch, you can always either stay quiet or tell them, that you don't want to.

People will probably down vote me for this comment, but I don't really mind. I've had enough of the abusive relationship between dps players and support/tanks.

I'm not complaining about any picks anymore. I'll accept everything and do my thing. If it results in a loss, so be it. If we win, then it's great.
Look, if you're allowed to report someone for One Tricking off-meta heroes, than I should be allowed to report anyone for not playing a Dive comp.

All the arguments you present are the same. You should be playing to win, not playing what you want. So therefore you must be playing Dive comp because nothing else is better than that right now.