Gold is getting out of hand

General Discussion
I'm sad to say but this is both anger and exhaustion speaking. I already know this thread is going to be ignored but I just want to get this off my chest. The lower ranks aren't the best place to be in and it's hard to see that I came from bronze to gold in a matter of months. But can not climb any higher because the amount of throwers that have been in the game the past weeks. It bothers me because I always say to myself this game is going to go good for me. But then get queued up with the same thrower as the previous game. This hasn't happened once but multiple times and it's getting to the point where even the people in the competitive match just don't even try anymore. This game brings the good in most people and the bad and I'm just getting tired of reporting people and blocking but get them the next game. Blocking literally does nothing in this game and that's what's bothering me. I wish it would just be as block a person and have the opportunity to not get queued up with them no more. I really wouldn't care if it gets to the point where the searching for players time is longer because of the throwers not allowed to play with you but it would really increase the likelihood of lower ranks to be a way better place. The ranks above get all the luxury but lower ranks literally get nothing. That is the worst part, how I want to be able to play this game and accept a loss but not when not everyone in my team doesn't care and willingly want to lose. Takes the competitiveness out of competitive.
<Removed by forum moderator for toxicity>
If you climb from bronze to gold that is a very good achievement. You think you are going to climb forever like up to top 500 or Grandmaster?
If you can't climb any higher that means you probably hit your limit doesn't mean you're supposed to climb from bronze to Grandmaster. No reason to be angry at that.
I believe the secret to comp is to just not care so much about rank when you play. Because the truth is, comp is only slightly better than qp when it comes to organization, formation, coordination and people picking the right picks for a good comp. My advice is to either play and accept those shortcomings and just learn to work around them, and if you can't and it really annoys you, simply stop playing comp and enjoy QP and arcade like i'm doing. I haven't touched comp this season.
02/12/2018 03:05 PMPosted by DVS
If you climb from bronze to gold that is a very good achievement. You think you are going to climb forever like up to top 500 or Grandmaster?
If you can't climb any higher that means you probably hit your limit doesn't mean you're supposed to climb from bronze to Grandmaster. No reason to be angry at that.
Partially this, but also there are a lot of really stupid people in gold.
I agree with you buddy.

I’m stuck here as well.

Take a bronze acc and climb solo. I dare you. I wanna see that "carry". Wanna see one player, you, taking care of 6 enemies and hold the point. All alone. Its not hard to see masters and gm stuck in plat with a smurf

He clearly has not reached his limit if he attributes the majority of his loses to shortcomings outside of his control. If you solo Que in comp this is unfortunately a risk you must take. However, Individual skill is not the sole defining factor for a players rank as Overwatch is a team game.
The same thing has happened to me multiple times. I blocked this troll who was playing attack sym, only to get them again in the match right after. Why bother having a block feature if it means nothing?
The difference between Comp Season One and Comp currently is beyond the pale shocking. In Season One, a fair amount of solo quers would group up after a win. Hell, sometimes we'd group just because no one left, or throwed the game. it wasn't perfect, but it was actually a social event. I had a lot of fantastic games in Season One and Two.

And then the people that never grouped called the system unfair and raged at Blizzard. For some reason, they listened, and basically penalized people for grouping in more than duo ques.

I called it then, that the new system would promote more lone wolves, more selfish play and make comp for anyone who doesn't have a least three friends to consistently play with a nightmare.

I wish I had been wrong.
02/12/2018 03:20 PMPosted by Fsouza87

Take a bronze acc and climb solo. I dare you. I wanna see that "carry". Wanna see one player, you, taking care of 6 enemies and hold the point. All alone. Its not hard to see masters and gm stuck in plat with a smurf

I'll take that bet. I'm a high plat to diamond player. I could hit masters if I put in the time and effort but I only play on weekends.

I have 3 accounts and fyi, I never placed below plat for my 2 newer accounts.

My first account I started from silver and took it all the way up to diamond.

Blaming bad teams everytime is just a lame excuse imo.
I watched some plays of a friend who is in gold, and I have to say gold is crazy frustrating. People don't know what they do, and climbing is almost impossible as a casual player.
Yeah I'm in agreement with this. Now I'm not some pro player and I don't claim to be this "really awesome player." But ya, this is the big problem with Overwatch: One bad team mate or a leaver/disconnector/troll, and pretty much that's the entire game thrown. And Blizzard utterly refuses to do anything about it.

I mean I have had games where I'm constantly on fire, constantly getting golds (mainly play Tank/Support), but we lose simply because the other team mates I have couldn't pull their weight, despite the amount of carrying they were getting.

One reason I like League better: One team mate leaving, while still bad, isn't necessarily a loss, and if you are doing really well, one bad team mate won't necessarily lose you the match.
02/12/2018 02:56 PMPosted by Microwave
I'm sad to say but this is both anger and exhaustion speaking. I already know this thread is going to be ignored but I just want to get this off my chest. The lower ranks aren't the best place to be in and it's hard to see that I came from bronze to gold in a matter of months. But can not climb any higher because the amount of throwers that have been in the game the past weeks. It bothers me because I always say to myself this game is going to go good for me. But then get queued up with the same thrower as the previous game. This hasn't happened once but multiple times and it's getting to the point where even the people in the competitive match just don't even try anymore. This game brings the good in most people and the bad and I'm just getting tired of reporting people and blocking but get them the next game. Blocking literally does nothing in this game and that's what's bothering me. I wish it would just be as block a person and have the opportunity to not get queued up with them no more. I really wouldn't care if it gets to the point where the searching for players time is longer because of the throwers not allowed to play with you but it would really increase the likelihood of lower ranks to be a way better place. The ranks above get all the luxury but lower ranks literally get nothing. That is the worst part, how I want to be able to play this game and accept a loss but not when not everyone in my team doesn't care and willingly want to lose. Takes the competitiveness out of competitive.

I don't know if this will make you feel better or worse but throwers and bad players are not only in gold. I'm in diamond myself and I see throwers all the time. I was "stuck" in low diamond for like 6 seasons until i changed something recently. I stopped thinking I was "stuck" and also realised that if there are throwers in my elo, then there must be throwers on the enemy teams as well. Tbh I see more people throwing on good heros like rein and dva than I do on attack sym or torb. My point being, don't always focus on your team being bad, focus on you enemies being bad, AND punish them for doing so. Good luck
No. You can't climb because of yourself. Assume you are not a thrower. 5 chances for thrower on your team, 6 on enemy team. If the sole deciding factor was throwers, you'd thus win and climb because of it.

In short, you aren't "stuck". You've temporarily reached your skill level. Once you improve, you'll climb again.
It's frustrating when there are so many factors you can't control in solo que, your team mates skill level, opponents skill level, hero choices, maps, throwers, disconnects. The only thing you can do is improve yourself, and you will eventually climb. I used to be in plat, and watching old recordings of my game made me realize how much I've improved since then.
I'm with you. Blizzard needs to do something about this..
02/12/2018 03:20 PMPosted by Fsouza87

I can guarantee you that a masters or gm player would not get stuck in plat. I'm not even that good and it's super easy for me to climb from low ranks back to diamond
02/12/2018 03:25 PMPosted by Amerasian
The same thing has happened to me multiple times. I blocked this troll who was playing attack sym, only to get them again in the match right after. Why bother having a block feature if it means nothing?

Unless I am mistaken, all Block does is prevent their text chat from appearing in your chat box. What you expected was under the "Avoid Player" function that was removed to do . . . well . . . typical community abuses.
I used to think this, but I finally found someone I'm good at and used her to climb, and I did.

This sucks to say, but despite what the development team says flexing is just not worth it. The ranking system doesn't work well with flexing since it focuses on individual performance for each hero.

I know there's a whole stigma with "one tricks", but do it anyway. Find someone you're exceptional at, and use them when they are available. You'll start gaining more SR in a win and losing less in a loss. You'll eventually reach your proper skill tier with that hero.

TLDR: One Trick someone your good at, your SR will start aligning itself self with each win and loss. Just do it.