Why so many people dont use voice chat

General Discussion
Toxicity is awesome (/sarcasm) especially when you're a woman and you get hit with all kinds of sexist, harassing and unwanted comments. Bonus round when you're voice is deep and you get called a squeeker or get told "your voice is annoying, shut the [cuss] up!"

I'm sorry the my Canadian accent sounds weird -British friends/ tourists and Singaporean tour guides all said the same thing. I sound American but then there's times where I say something and I sound Irish.

Wait I take that back. Why should I be sorry about my accent!?
That and I'm straight up anti-social. If you don't sound like a pretty lady, I probably don't want to talk to you unless I'm in a rare good mood.
A more interesting question for me is why are so many people who do have mics so bad at using them in game effectively. Some people only talk to complain and give no relevant information or anything during fights like target prioritization, people flanking, ult status etc.
02/13/2018 06:26 AMPosted by Avian
A more interesting question for me is why are so many people who do have mics so bad at using them in game effectively. Some people only talk to complain and give no relevant information or anything during fights like target prioritization, people flanking, ult status etc.

Human nature. We are more likely to be vocal about negatives than positives. It takes practice to use proper communication.
Team chat sucked way back in 2005 when Guild Wars tried to make it a PC thing, and even shipped the game with a headset-mic.

It sucks just as much now in 2018. I've tried playing with the voice chat on when queueing solo. At least here in Bronze, it's completely pointless. It's either complaining and whining, or it's someone thinking they're actually a GM and carrying the team by playing Call of Duty style. It's everyone else's fault that they're being held back and haven't been recruited into the OWL yet.

Oh, sure, we can mute individual players. And that's great when it's one person. But when it's one person, and then another one or two, then we end up muting one third to one half of our team. At that stage, what's the point staying in chat anymore?
02/13/2018 06:24 AMPosted by Cheat2Win
If you don't sound like a pretty lady,

wut
02/13/2018 06:31 AMPosted by linkdude240
If you don't sound like a pretty lady,

wut

Is it a crime to enjoy the soothing tones of a beautiful woman's voice? Amelie Lacroix is the best tbh.
VChat is like a shortened URL in an email from a stranger. You don't know what's on the other side.
I don't even have a mic.
I've never experienced this in overwatch. Most kids have been decent but they do add something unnecessary chatter to comms
I have been playing since 2016 and also made it to GM on Season 7.

-Full solo queue
-Never ever turned on Voice chat

Why?

1)Annoying people
2)Open mics with background music
3) People screams
4) I get distracted easily by people voices
5) People doesn't speak English
6) Excessive information
If you don't sound like a pretty lady, I probably don't want to talk to you unless I'm in a rare good mood.

02/13/2018 06:34 AMPosted by Cheat2Win
02/13/2018 06:31 AMPosted by linkdude240

wut

Is it a crime to enjoy the soothing tones of a beautiful woman's voice? Amelie Lacroix is the best tbh.

Excuse you. Maybe you shouldn't judge people by how they sound,? That's a low blow man, especially to people who have self esteem. A person's beauty sn't solely measured by looks, how she sounds.... No it's based on so much more. Her mind, her actions, her personality, her values... seeing a woman for who she truly is, that's beauty.... but then again Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so on voice chat you can't really gauge that.

This is why some people -especially women- don't usually talk on voice chat.
It’s because the toxicity that happens in voice chat. I always join voice chat when I play comp but sometimes I just have to get off of voice chat. I don’t want to listen to whiny toxic people complaining about everything that is happening. I’m in Masters and I don’t have to mute the whole channel most of the time. It’s usually those select 1 or 2 people that’s toxic.
And just don't wanna hear kids repeating memes they saw online during the entire match.

Don't wanna know what pizza a random dude ate last night.

I'm all up for text chat, like here on the forums I love it actually. But when it comes to voice chat I'm very reserved and don't usually like small talk.
02/13/2018 06:16 AMPosted by Swagganomics
13 year olds telling me about their experiences with my mom. I get it, you all got a piece of her, let me cry about it in peace please.

Hahaha!!!
02/13/2018 06:40 AMPosted by Desire

2)Open mics with background music

[/quote]
I have my own reason, but this, this particular factor alone is enough never have in-game voice comms on.
02/13/2018 04:54 AMPosted by DominiEmpri
02/13/2018 04:39 AMPosted by Mehariel
Because nobody over the age of 18 likes to have 13 year old boys swearing at them through a microphone after a day of working a 9 till 5 job.

Id rather lose after playing my hardest in silence than get a migraine for their screeching.

(yes i know its not everyone who sounds acts like that, but its enough)

You can mute little boys and if you get twisted so fast that you have no time to mute, dont play a team game.

Team chat is integral to winning.

Example: my brother did not use voice chat for 4 seasons, started this season and boom moved from gold to Diamond. Said he did nothing but join teamchat and call things out when needed.

You limit yourself and your team when you dont use voice chat.

Example two: your team calls something out on voicechat, you are not in team chat... you die and then you complain about your team in the chat....

why does this have so many dislikes? hes right
i am on eu server... that means a hell of lot people who cant speak english, refuse to speak with it, or have awful accent so nobody understand them
I rarely talk, lil shy..
I play support a lot, so if I'm solo q'ing I tend to be in voice so I can let my team know I'm down, rez is on cooldown, etc, or I used to. Lately when ever I get on mic there is always one person on the team who will take it upon themselves to point out I'm a female playing support and usually tell me my time is better spent either on a corner or in some kitchen, sometimes they'll get confused and inquire as to whether or not I'm a 12 year old boy, and usually I just go with that, much less harassment.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯