THANK YOU

General Discussion
Prev 1 8 9 10 13 Next
Jeff, I'd suggest not using the word "throwing", as people have different ideas about what it means.

Make the same statement with "intentionally trying to lose" and it will be a lot clearer.
In your scenario, are we both 1tricks? Or are we normal players?
In my experience, with "normal" teammates, you can ask or say "this is not working" and most of the time, there is a change. "Phara isn't working", "Genji is not killing", "we need a Dva". Somebody will switch, somebody will fill.

Somebody will switch... or throw a fit and throw the game. Let's not pretend one-tricks are the only ones who are stubborn about that.

Trying to avoid non-social behavior by imposing punishment is never going to work... right? We should ask politely to the boy/girl running naked in a public area to stop doing it, instead of punishing that behavior.

Humans, or at least some of them, do not care unless they receive some sort of consecuence to their actions.

It's not going to work because there aren't referees watching every game to impose the rules. Inmates running the asylum, a.k.a. Blizzard's genius automated system is too easily abusable to solve any issues. If someone cares enough for the game to one trick a hero to high SR, they are very likely to simply buy a new copy if permanently banned anyway. Encouraging flexing, giving avoid player options, making certain heroes less situational are much better ways of solving the problem, IMO.

And changing heroes to help your team is not teamwork? )

I never said that, work on your reading comprehension, please.
02/08/2018 07:51 AMPosted by Jessicka
There are a number of reasons I won't switch.

And all of them are 100% valid.

HOWEVER, not switching because you decided that you will only and ONLY play 1 hero, no matter the situation/comp/utility/game impact you are having, is not a valid reason, or at least it shouldn't.

It is nonsensical and an utterly trashy way of thinking, and more so in a game like OW, where the impact that one player has in the team is so large as it is.
02/08/2018 07:59 AMPosted by Gatorade
And all of them are 100% valid.

HOWEVER, not switching because you decided that you will only and ONLY play 1 hero, no matter the situation/comp/utility/game impact you are having, is not a valid reason, or at least it shouldn't.

It is nonsensical and an utterly trashy way of thinking, and more so in a game like OW, where the impact that one player has in the team is so large as it is.
I'm not a one trick though, but I do play some off-meta heroes, and I get a lot of abuse for doing so. Me switching isn't necessarily what the team actually needs though, irrespective of what you think.

Hell I've seen enough Genjis jumping into Moira, Winston and Symmetra by now and not get challenged, meanwhile I'm trying to clear them out with Pharah or Widowmaker, but I'm the one being told to switch by other players.

Whoever is being singled out isn't always the player who should be being singled out, but it almost always follows that it is the player on the unpopular hero who is singled out, irrespective of performance.

Blaming one-tricks or off-meta players is a shorthand and very lazy way of finding a scapegoat that's just easier than figuring out what's actually going on. It has no place in the game.
02/08/2018 07:59 AMPosted by Matrim

I never said that, work on your reading comprehension, please.

Thank you very much, but it's pretty clear I'm not the one who is in need of that, but let's go back to the original topic may I advise and ask from you that if you agree on that changing heroes to help your team IS teamwork, then you agree with me on that not changing heroes in certain matches, situations and compositions is NOT teamwork, right? And not working with your team is pretty much poor teamwork, right? And therefore reportable too of course under the self-explanatory "poor teamwork".
02/08/2018 07:59 AMPosted by Matrim

Somebody will switch... or throw a fit and throw the game. Let's not pretend one-tricks are the only ones who are stubborn about that.

[/quote]
Interesting how you left out the part were I said that if no one reacted/switched/addapted, I was ok with that loss because it was a TEAM LOSS.

Bad teams exist.
02/08/2018 08:04 AMPosted by Jessicka
Blaming one-tricks or off-meta players is a shorthand and very lazy way of finding a scapegoat that's just easier than figuring out what's actually going on. It has no place in the game.

Please don't.

No one is defending false reports for off meta heroes.

We are talking about 1tricks, the worse kind. Those that on their profiles have only 1 hero with hours on them.

I will never support reports for somebody using whatever hero they want, unless they refuse to switch just because "MY RIGHT TO DO WHAT I WANT".
02/07/2018 05:33 PMPosted by Jeff Kaplan

Throwing is bannable and should be reported. We appreciate your help here.

False reporting is bannable. Don't misuse the report system.

People have a hard time discerning between "one" tricking as throwing... Could you elaborate Jeff on what is considered "throwing."
One of the other problems surrounding this issue is fairness. Theres a ton of 1 tricks out there. The issue is the off meta 1 tricks getting reported while the meta one trick goes completely unnoticed even if its a Genji and hes getting completely wrecked by a Moira in the back line. Theres alot of people that don't notice the meta one tricks because they just call it a bad game even tho they lost because that person wasn't swapping. This is usually because they are just used to having that character on their team.

Its honestly a really difficult issue for blizzard to handle because if you screw 1 tricks you have to screw them all and i think theres more out there than people realize and that just wouldn't go down well.
And therefore reportable too of course under the self-explanatory "poor teamwork".

The problem with "poor teamwork" is that in this game it has no precise definition. Like at all. Honestly, I don't understand why there is such category at all. Throwing is already covered under griefing and Blizzard have never bothered defining what "poor teamwork" actually is. If I play Mercy and heal only Pharah, am I guilty of poor teamwork even if the Pharah is doing great? If I play Sym on attack am I guilty of poor teamwork by default? How about Junkrat vs Pharah? I mean, the rules say that playing poorly is not reportable but isn't poor teamwork simply a subset of playing poorly? If I were to implement this rule literally I would be reporting at least 6 people per game in QP because even grouping up is too much to ask for many players with whom I play. And before you say "it's just QP' there is no rule saying "QP is just for practice".
02/08/2018 08:18 AMPosted by Gatorade
02/08/2018 08:04 AMPosted by Jessicka

Please don't.

We are talking about 1tricks, the worse kind. Those that on their profiles have only 1 hero with hours on them.

I will never support reports for somebody using whatever hero they want, unless they refuse to switch just because "MY RIGHT TO DO WHAT I WANT".
But you don't even notice the one-trick Tracers, McCrees, Mercys, DVas etc. I know, I one tricked DVa for 3 seasons.
02/07/2018 05:33 PMPosted by Jeff Kaplan
Let's be clear here and not confuse policy:

One Tricking is not bannable and should not be reported (it even says so in the text)

Throwing is bannable and should be reported. We appreciate your help here.

False reporting is bannable. Don't misuse the report system.

This is one way to destroy your game, Nice job.

Because apparently Blizzard has Different definitions of Words than Every other person or the whole world

Poor teamwork means that someone is doing nothing to contribute to a Team, he does whatever he wants and plays however he wants, this is not teamwork.

we can understand that maybe he is bad, but if he is doing that on PURPOSE(onetricking) he should be reported for Poor teamwork, BECAUSE THIS IS THE DEFINITION OF THIS WORD

If you are putting these report "reasons" like poor teamwork Stick to its real definition not your imaginary BS.

I cant believe some people support this, its like saying that Spamming is NOT spamming, like saying one word all the time in chat, but it is spamming when someone put a lot of words and written paragraphs or something like this, or adding rules to Spaming"when he spammed one word 499 times this is not spamming when he types it another time so its 500 times, YES ITS TOTALLY SPAMMING", nonsense bs it is, nothing else.

for how many years we have games, and rules where people created them to have best experience, but there we have Blizzrad who says not to them and modify them in their way, thinking that everyone will now stop doing what they were for like 20 years and start doing it different way because Blizzard said it.

No thanks, if i will see someone DESTROYING my match, when everyone else is changing, trying to win game by countering and this one person plays hero that is completely not useful in X situation i WILL report them for poor teamwork BECAUSE THIS IS THE DEFINITION OF IT

kthxbye.
02/08/2018 08:47 AMPosted by Sveron
No thanks, if i will see someone DESTROYING my match, when everyone else is changing, trying to win game by countering and this one person plays hero that is completely not useful in X situation i WILL report them for poor teamwork BECAUSE THIS IS THE DEFINITION OF IT

Thank you for being such a good example of why Blizzard just can't win. Don't like the rule - flaunt it. And also of why "poor teamwork" shouldn't be a report category - it's so vague, everyone thinks their own definition must be correct.
02/08/2018 08:37 AMPosted by Matrim

The problem with "poor teamwork" is that in this game it has no precise definition.

I agree with you on this.

02/08/2018 08:37 AMPosted by Matrim
If I were to implement this rule literally I would be reporting at least 6 people per game in QP because even grouping up is too much to ask for many players with whom I play. And before you say "it's just QP' there is no rule saying "QP is just for practice".

I play QP way more often than comp (I only do the 10 placements in comp to be exact, I don't even care about it). I don't even know what rank I'm on right now, didn't even bothered to check it. And in my opinion, yeah, you have the absolute right to report them regardless of the mode. I mean, let's put in this way so maybe we can understand each other's viewpoint more: for me, Overwatch is about fun (because I play arcade and quick play mostly) and in these "fun" modes I don't really care if someone is trying out a hero or having fun with their friends if and IF they are doing their best or y'know what, let's change it to just trying to win at least. Then it's fine by me. Even in comp I never reported everyone in advance like Effect did, every single player I get to play with starts with a fresh, new card and I don't care who they play with, if they perform good and not holding back the team. So "poor teamwork" for me is when they don't even try to win. In QP it's more clear, but in comp I think poor teamwork means a little bit different because it's competitive, even the word suggests that the main reason is to win, and that comes with commitments from everyone involved. So while these commitments are not always expected (but welcomed) in QP or different in favour of having fun, in comp (for me at least) is expected. Such as switching to another hero if it's not suitable in the current match.
02/08/2018 08:46 AMPosted by Jessicka
02/08/2018 08:18 AMPosted by Gatorade
Please don't.

But you don't even notice the one-trick Tracers, McCrees, Mercys, DVas etc. I know, I one tricked DVa for 3 seasons.
'
I do notice them.
But those heroes are much more versatile than a Sym. Thus, the opportunities when a Tracer is doing badly due to the MAP itself are very scarse or limited.
Sym will not work in every scenario.
I will not complain against a 1trick Sym in Hanamura defense. It make sense.
I will complain on a Sym in Mumbani attack.
I will never complain against a Tracer in defense/attack, however the game flow itself can make that Tracer useless and if that is the case, I will complain if the player refuses to switch due to 1tricking.

A few weeks ago we were attacking Hanamura and they had torb/junk. Somebody switched to Genji and I pointed that he was useless against that comp. He switched to Junk and we got the point. Surely, not all people will take ur advice or hear the complains from the rest of the team. But some will.

A 1trick will never do that. Ever.
Because apparently Blizzard has Different definitions of Words than Every other person or the whole world

In my entire life, "throwing" has always meant intentional. It wasn't until this game that I experienced people having the concept of "unintentionally throwing" (which is silly to me), so it isn't surprising to me that Blizzard thinks of that word as something a player does to intentionally lose.
Poor teamwork means that someone is doing nothing to contribute to a Team, he does whatever he wants and plays however he wants, this is not teamwork.

Um..no. If we're going to ignore Blizzard's definition and go with..

definitions of Words than Every other person or the whole world

...then "poor teamwork" describes a TEAM that is working poorly (literal definition) TOGETHER (feel reasonably confident that at least most people or maybe the whole world would agree).

Having it in a reporting system and applying it to individuals is silliness to begin with.
02/08/2018 09:31 AMPosted by Magmatic

Um..no. If we're going to ignore Blizzard's definition and go with..

definitions of Words than Every other person or the whole world

...then "poor teamwork" describes a TEAM that is working poorly (literal definition) TOGETHER (feel reasonably confident that at least most people or maybe the whole world would agree).

Having it in a reporting system and applying it to individuals is silliness to begin with.

Too bad youre reporting a Person not a game/match.

so youre reporting x person for Poor teamwork, which means that HE was doing poorly since the report

But now you just twisted it and say that if we have 6 players and one pick for example torbjorn, the other players might get reports for poor teamwork cause they did poorly and didnt build around this torb??

This is really smart if i understood that correctly, but in this matter Majority>minority

more people play normally and change/counter than they onetrick.
MAJORITY rules this house!! Through light or darkness let us bond together and go after those nasty 1tricks, the worst kind!
Individualism must be stopped! All individuals must fail! Annihilate all individuals for the greater good as I say! OK GO GO GO!! BAN ALL THAT DO NOT COMPLY WITH MY WISHES AS I AM CAESAR YOUR RIGHTFUL DICTATOR. All hail Caesar!