HIDDEN SOMBRA CHANGES in NEW PATCH

General Discussion
Prev 1 11 12 13 26 Next
[quote]

Health pack control and ult generation is a large part of her kit. It's not awkward, it's just that almost no one knows about it.

This time 10 million. People also aren't aware of how fast HP respawns.
02/08/2018 01:30 PMPosted by Geoff Goodman
A few changes that are being worked on accidentally found their way into the most recent patch. This is unintentional and we're working on removing these.

We're planning on putting up a new PTR soon that has these changes (and more), so consider this a sneak peak.

Here are the complete changes (so far) for Sombra that we are looking to test out soon:

* No longer gains ult from health pack healing
* Weapon Spread decreased by 10%
* Hacking speed increased from 0.8s to 0.65s
* Hacking will disable more abilities. Basically any ability that requires a button press will also be disabled. Here is a list:

Genji - Double Jump/Wall Climb
Pharah - Hover Jets
Hanzo - Wall Climb
Lucio - currently running Crossfade song will be disabled
Mercy - Angelic Descent

The idea here is to take some power out of her ult (and awkwardness of ult gain through health packs), and give her more power and usefulness in the rest of her kit.
These changes sound really good! You should keep the health pack charge though
I guess I can deal with less frequent EMPs however they're much more powerful now due to that buff applying to it too. That 10% spread reduction really helps too.
02/08/2018 03:04 PMPosted by Tensor
Shouldn't it also disable Reaper's passive?
It doesn't technically require a button press, it's just a a passive effect of his LMB (which can't be disabled despite requiring a button press). The change seems to specifically target passive mobility abilities.
A few changes that are being worked on accidentally found their way into the most recent patch. This is unintentional and we're working on removing these.

We're planning on putting up a new PTR soon that has these changes (and more), so consider this a sneak peak.

Here are the complete changes (so far) for Sombra that we are looking to test out soon:

* Hacking will disable more abilities. Basically any ability that requires a button press will also be disabled. Here is a list:

Pharah - Hover Jets
Hanzo - Wall Climb
Mercy - Angelic Descent

The idea here is to take some power out of her ult (and awkwardness of ult gain through health packs), and give her more power and usefulness in the rest of her kit.

Tbh I quite like these changes after 262 hours on sombra those have absolutely been my gripes. I've made a recent suggestion post that had very similar changes to all of these (except hack disabling passive) I suggested having 1 hackpack that resets upon death . In exchange for losing ult gain from health packs having increased ult charge from hacking would be nice, but ultimately this is the best direction.

The problem with sombra's original design is the fact that hacking health packs is not fun for anyone really, her emp and ult gain to get emp limited how she could ever be changed to be viable. Also it limited her viability to a strict set of conditions that made her bad on most maps, and with blizzard world's release I can tell the team wasn't into creating optimal health pack routes to keep her viable as well, because it's just too much effort for too little payoff. Additionally this made emp bots very common and sombras who can play as dps feel limited in comparison to health pack bots who get ult off of air - they can die in a fight and if their team uses health packs she can come back with full ult. It's not a fun mechanic. Playing temple of anubis and getting stalled because enemy team sombra beat your sombra to the mega sucked.

Tl;dr I like this sombra's direction a lot more.
The ability to play Sombra without being immediately harassed about taking a support slot? Blizz, it's like my birthday came early.
If the ult charge nerf goes live there's legit no point playing Sombra for me. Why would I play a hero with such weak dps and that will now take ages to get her ult ?

Guess I'll go back to the old meta slave comps.
02/08/2018 02:58 PMPosted by Saber
These changes probably removes her from pro games, that's really upsetting because that's where she shines as an emp bot.

She should feel better to play elsewhere that you don't have that coordination but still I think she's not optimal pick.

Seems like a net nerf actually.

I dunno. She might have a new role as a much nastier but less evasive Tracer.
That health pack nerf is huge and will significantly reduce her viability as a niche pick on certain maps e.g Anubis B, Volskaya A and University.

I am worried this will reduce her lock rate, even with the spread / hack improvement.

Also the biggest problem with hack and EMP is that it is still complicated after these changes. We still have some abilities that are interrupted and some that aren’t... there are also some heroes hack is very good against and some where it has little impact or is difficult to land, which creates a pretty complex target priority system that both you and your team need to follow.

if you want sombra to be picked you need to make her hack more consistent and feel more impactful. She was designed to be the “CC / control the engagement hero” not the “brute force” damage dealer, where fights are won based on her limiting what the enemy team, or a specific player, can do. Her damage is supposed to feel weak because she is supposed to make others feel even weaker.

With that in mind I would prefer if the hack cooldown was actually longer but was significantly stronger and interrupted everything. Mercy can revive somebody every 30 seconds, so why can’t a sombra interrupt a soldier ult every 15 seconds?

If not that, then add some sort of damage & healing done debuff (30% for duration?) to could help her succeed in the isolated 1v1 situatuations where she gets the jump, or to help her provide some consistent against an ulting soldier / torbjorn / mercy.

If you do that to both her hack and EMP then losing the ult charge is justified. Otherwise we get a similarly weak / inconsistent hack and EMP ability but without the ult charge...

Heck, I’d even prefer if you did *not* decrease her spread and focused on hack even more do that she claims the CC role that she was envisioned for.

TLDR :

Make her hack even more impactful. Otherwise she just stays as a ‘meh’ hero with ‘meh’ damage and ‘meh survivability and no niche pick capability...
02/08/2018 03:08 PMPosted by ŦȄŊZƗŊ
If the ult charge nerf goes live there's legit no point playing Sombra for me. Why would I play a hero with such weak dps and that will now take ages to get her ult ?

She doesn't have a weak DPS with the new spread. She's actually halfway deadly.
Her hack will stop Pharah's jets and Genji's wall climb/double jump?

As a Sombra player, I think...I think I might start crying. This is the greatest day.
Should make playing Sombra a little more reliable in the crowd control and damage department.
02/08/2018 03:11 PMPosted by Mitrovarr
02/08/2018 03:08 PMPosted by ŦȄŊZƗŊ

She doesn't have a weak DPS with the new spread. She's actually halfway deadly.

You're clueless lol.
Lol makes sombra less of an ultimate bot yet made mercy just that (glad I have sombra to fall back and main cause mercy is a boring mess)

I’m just worried sombra will loose some of her personality. They are making her stronger which I’m all for yet they are making her more dps and I like do her support/dps feel. I just really don’t want them to make hack an ‘op’ ability because they’ll just nerf her like that.

Just think though she’s going to be so annoying to play agaisnt especially as lucio. Lucio would be useless with an enemy sombra. I just don’t want sombra to become ‘trash’ because they have to nerf her as everyone says it’s not fair it gets rid of passive self. (Guranteed every genji main is feeling hated)
Pls give my girl Sombra her ult charge back. After all these hours playing her it feels kinda weird not getting it.. and i dont think she will get emp now quick enough because shes not doing enough dmg...
Maybe increase the ult charge a bit and pls keep it.
02/08/2018 01:32 PMPosted by DrinkPepsi

Pharah - Hover Jets
Hanzo - Wall Climb
Mercy - Angelic Descent

Thanks for clearing this up! Those changes sound good. I still wouldn't remove ult charge from hp packs tho :)
I really like these changes. Her getting ult from health packs made her playstyle kinda weird. The changes will make her more of a team player in the sense that she’ll be with her team more. Not just doing her own thing trying to charge her ult.

Her entire playstyle is based on her getting her ult which I think is boring.
what the hell, im a sombra main now

Pharah - Hover Jets
Hanzo - Wall Climb
Mercy - Angelic Descent

These are great changes Geoff, but I reccomend perhaps adding a slight buff to her stealth mode.
Is the smaller spread in the game at the moment?
These changes are going to be very controversial for a lot of people. People have never wanted Sombra on their team but using her packs to charge EMP quickly was a good strategy. Now that your "second healer" facet on certain maps with accessible health packs has been eliminated and has become a pure dps, even fewer people are going to want to Sombra on their team existing tracer that can make the work of dps much better.