Genji blade as a support

General Discussion
Prev 1 4 5 6 8 Next
<span class="truncated">...</span>
It's the fact that it lacks counterplay.

Not entirely. I myself am not the biggest fan of Genji, obviously as a support, but a well timed Transcendence or Sound Barrier could usually get the job done.

Riptire is much, much worse.

Yes, but too be fair - Genjis ultimate is extremely efficient, he gains ultimate rather quick due too tanks and kills and then on top of that he can set up his own kills for his dragon blade mid ult due to dash damage and animation cancelled shurikans yeah, he has a high skill ceiling etc etc but 9/10 times you just wont be able too stop it someone ALWAYS dies too it or even 2-3 people. Its tiring at most levels of play.

Not at GM or Master but nearly everyone else is rather tired of it being so good. Its a meat grinder ult. Ive rarely seen a genji so horrible that they dont even get one kill with their ult.

Basically the excess in burst damage that he has allows him too kill way too easily with it. Not sure why his ultimate alone requires another ultimate too counter it when every other ultimate in the game baring map hidden ults or invulnerability ults ( zenyatta/doomfist etc) can be blocked by a basic ability. Seems rather one sided. (there are others of course but have no where near as much impact as genji).
Boop after Dash, speed AiU, and stop dying even to other enemies if hit by Genji within the last 6 seconds. Force a Deflect while he's not in an ally's face to waste just over a third its effective duration. Transcendence. Hack to then make it a DPS loss compared to his ult-less form. Sonic Barrier. Sleep Dart.

Momentum is everything to Genji, and Dragonblade is no exception. Counterplay abounds. All you've lost is barriers and DM. In their place you've gained complete shutdown via snares.
02/10/2018 11:23 AMPosted by Seolhyun
Lucio may get away, but probably not as Genji runs faster when ulting.

only a bit faster.

as Lucio, once he dashes and i find an opening, im (wallriding) outta there.
02/10/2018 02:53 PMPosted by Teslarossa
Because support members are the weakest characters in the game.

No they aren't. There is a reason why they define the meta.
02/10/2018 03:00 PMPosted by orangejuice
02/10/2018 12:23 PMPosted by Scopzy
No need to talk !@#$, the explanation was all that was necessary. Just another "genji op pls nerf post"

It's not talking !@#$. An actual masters player wouldn't be posting something so naive

Have seen GM players calling for nerfs to Genji on here, these forums are a joke tbh. I can see your point. He's a Soldier main though, so maybe he is just mechanically good and got there? Who knows? He clearly doesn't know what he is talking about regardless.
02/10/2018 02:13 PMPosted by Chublis
Well that's easy for you to say as a Genji main who has 30 minutes on Mercy.

It's also easy for you as a Mercy main to say Genji is op when you have 24 minutes on him. Funny how that works both ways huh?
02/10/2018 02:09 PMPosted by LIGHTER99
btw, as mercy u just fly to an ally far away after genji dashed to you, is that so hard?....you dont even need valk

Even prior to Valkyrie's GA nerf you were guaranteed dead if the Genji was targeting you with dragonblade if you activated it reactively.
02/10/2018 11:28 AMPosted by Dysvalence
It's an ult what do you expect? Honestly predicting it and responding accordingly is part of playing support.

Ripitires are worse.

Oh you mean the rip tire where the junk announces it with his voice line plus the sound of a bloody motor cycle engine coming towards you? Worst case is everyone splits up when they hear the voice emote and 1 person dies. But with genji's ult there is no preparation that can be made to survive. Its practically a death sentence. I have tried so many times to avoid it as mercy but genji can easily hunt you down and kill you
02/10/2018 11:30 AMPosted by Seolhyun
02/10/2018 11:29 AMPosted by StopBanninMe

Oh no, Dragonblade can kill people? Better nerf!

It doesn't lack counter play, you just aren't good enough.
You guys are making rip tire sound like some hammer from god or something. When you hear the emote you can split up so it doesen't kill more than one. But with genji's dragonblade he can easily kill 3-4 people.
02/10/2018 11:30 AMPosted by DPapercut
Junkrat’s tire would like to have a word with you.

You mean the 100 hp slow and loud as !@#$ tire that doesn't have a mobility ability reset ?
I've shot it down so many times as Mercy, I mean it doesn't reflect my shots back at me while it animation cancels a dash into a left click :)
Honestly the only thing you can do is ult or use an ability in response. In Lucio's ult you'll probably die anyway from either the long cast time or the fact that Genji can chase you down and kill you as your shields decay. In Zen's you're immortal, so that's a good counterplay. In Mercy's you fly away and watch as Genji tears through your meager healing. The window for Ana's sleep dart is so tiny so you're probably dead. Without ult, Moira has the best chance for survival since she has great self sustain and fade.

TLDR: It's tough being a support player these days.
To the people saying mercy can fly away with valk, you haven' seen a genji dragonblade. Nomrally genji double jump from somewhere and hit Q right when they are over the supports and in not even 1 sec later the mercy dies. Even if they ulti by the time the wings come out and you fly up you would be dead. So as a mercy i just decide to die rather than wasting my valk and still end up dying.
The counterplay relies in being close to your team so they can focus and kill him quickly. Yeah, it sucks to depend on others, but in this case it's necessary.
02/10/2018 11:30 AMPosted by Seolhyun
02/10/2018 11:29 AMPosted by StopBanninMe

Oh no, Dragonblade can kill people? Better nerf!

Zen ult counters it
02/10/2018 04:28 PMPosted by Ruseman
The counterplay relies in being close to your team so they can focus and kill him quickly. Yeah, it sucks to depend on others, but in this case it's necessary.

So all the team dies because of the 120 damage AoE swing LUL
As a Zenyatta I save my ult for Genji's so that I can protect my team.
As a moira it's pretty easy to fade away from blade.
As a mercy I just fly to a team member who's far enough away.
As a Lucio it's pretty easy to wallride/speedboost away (or I ult to protect my team and boop him away)
As an Ana I try to sleep dart him, if I miss I hope the damage dealers get him.

It's an ultimate, it's meant to kill people. Supports shouldn't have CD abilities that make them always survive it. The DPS/Tanks should be able to kill him and protect their team. And if he kills the supports well then he outplayed your DPS and did his job and used his ult well.
02/10/2018 11:44 AMPosted by Eihder
his dragonblade can hit you even if you are directly to the side of him and he misses you by a mile.

This is both true (although exaggerated) and misunderstood. The sword does have a long reach at times, but it also has a deceptive hitbox where often times as the Genji player your sword completely whiffs for seemingly no reason.

I think it has to do with the fact that the sword has different animations with each swing which changes the hitbox each time. Sometimes the hitbox is in your favor and sometimes it isn't. If you are the player facing a Genji you will only notice all of the swings that were not in your favor.
Genji ult is annoying but it isn't OP in any way. As a support you have plenty of options to deal with it. Valkyrie, Transcendence, Sound Barrier, Speed Boost+Boop, Fade+Orbs/beam, Sleep Dart+Anti Heal, and if you are feeling frisky you can just blast him down with headshots.

And if none of these work you can always play by your Tanks. Genji and Tracer have difficulty breaking into space controlled by Tanks.
No mention of Symmetra. Is she not good enough for your anecdote?