How do you guys keep your ping from spiking?

General Discussion
Roommates streaming video (which they do at all times, and I'm never home when they aren't home) = bad ping.
Any phone or tablet updating at any time (and there are eight of them) = bad ping
Steam updating on any of four computers = bad ping
Windows updating = bad ping
Sometimes, the ping is just bad for no reason I can identify.

I just can't get a decent ping for long. It makes comp nearly impossible. How do you guys do it?
Not having 3 roommates helps a lot.
If you have a dual 3/5 GHz network, use the side of the network they aren't using. I use 5 GHz because 3 GHz tends to be the most popular band, and it can interfere with your own signal. Downside is that it doesn't have as large of a broadcast range.
Can't be helped, I'm engaged to one of them <3 and we can't afford a place this nice with just the both of us.
02/10/2018 08:45 PMPosted by BillNye
If you have a dual 3/5 GHz network, use the side of the network they aren't using. I use 5 GHz because 3 GHz tends to be the most popular band, and it can interfere with your own signal. Downside is that it doesn't have as large of a broadcast range.

I have a direct ethernet connect to the wireless router.
If she's using the WiFi, just meter the bandwidth over WiFi, so you get most of it.

Obviously talk with them about it first.
No problems with my roommates. Usually I'm the one causing bad ping, which I promptly shut off or cap my download/upload if they say anything about it. Quite a few devices in the house but a simple update never caused anyone any grief.

Get better internet?
02/10/2018 08:35 PMPosted by Mitrovarr
Roommates streaming video (which they do at all times, and I'm never home when they aren't home) = bad ping.
Any phone or tablet updating at any time (and there are eight of them) = bad ping
Steam updating on any of four computers = bad ping
Windows updating = bad ping
Sometimes, the ping is just bad for no reason I can identify.

I just can't get a decent ping for long. It makes comp nearly impossible. How do you guys do it?

Go into your router settings and prioritize Overwatch over other network traffic. On my Netgear router, this is under "QoS" (Quality of Service). Be warned, though, that Overwatch doesn't have a nice, neat range of ports you can enter; you may need to add several different entries to prioritize all of Overwatch's net traffic.
If you are using wifi, a cable is essencial, the rest.. you are doomed until you get a higher bandwith.