I can’t tolerate this anymore.

Competitive Discussion
I mash “Group up!” constantly and no one listens. No one. They go in to battle in a single file line and get obliterated one at a time. Winston jumps in and dies before a healer can get to him. Solider sprints in and dies before firing a bullet. I can’t do it anymore. As a Zarya main, my success sort of depends on teammates grouping up. I’m only as useful as my bubble shields, and when people don’t group up, I’m essentially worthless.

Feel free to add me on PS4 if you aren’t trash and actually play the game the correct way. Any time I think Diamond is in reach, teams ruin it for me.

[Title edited by Forum Moderator for toxicity.]
Wowser. I was amazed that I got dumbo trickle team mates in gold, let alone plat...

I would take you up on your offer, but I am at my skill cap at this time, so likely not much help...
That’s how I know I don’t belong in Platinum. If people grouped up and actually played the game, I could be mid-range Diamond or higher. But I guess I’ll never know. It’s the most frustrating thing.
02/12/2018 03:07 PMPosted by OrdealByFire
I mash “Group up!” constantly and no one listens. No one. They go in to battle in a single file line and get obliterated one at a time. Winston jumps in and dies before a healer can get to him. Solider sprints in and dies before firing a bullet. I can’t do it anymore. As a Zarya main, my success sort of depends on teammates grouping up. I’m only as useful as my bubble shields, and when people don’t group up, I’m essentially worthless.

Feel free to add me on PS4 if you aren’t trash and actually play the game the correct way. Any time I think Diamond is in reach, teams ruin it for me.

A Zarya is worth a lot more than her bubbles much like how D.Va is a lot more than her defense matrix, Orisa and Reinhardt is a lot more than her shields, and Roadhog is more than his hook (admittedly was not this way before, but it's a lot better now). If you want to climb and Zarya isn't working, try out another role or another hero.

D.Va is an amazing hero currently and if you're Zarya isn't working with your Winston or Soldier because they keep on dying, D.Va is arguably a better defensive hero (her defense matrix and large hitbox inside of Mech can potentially let you bodyblock for your teammates and save them from heroes such as Soldier, McCree, Roadhog, etc.). Ideally, Zarya is best played with Reinhardt. Reinhardt can reliably put down his shield so Zarya can bubble him and gain some free energy because of that. Zarya is not an anchor tank and is not an amazing defensive hero if the whole enemy team dives her and her backline.

However, if you're steadfast in the belief that your Zarya is worth being Diamond, here are a couple tips that will help improve your gameplay and keep your teammates alive (despite what my profile says, I have been playing tanks a lot more this season which has helped me climb [online profile for this site shows all competitive season stats]). Save your bubble for when Winston pretty much touches the ground. If you can somehow bodyblock as Zarya (smallest tank hitbox) do so. You have 400 health including a self-bubble which means that it is difficult to kill you and it is sometimes better for you to lose 200 health than your Soldier 76 from dying (I highly suggest you allow yourself to take a bit of damage and then bubble yourself so that you get healed safely letting your supports build up their ultimates). If you're Soldier 76 is dying, try to take the aggro off of him by doing what I just said and peek first so he is not the first target they see.

Trickling happens in every level. Unfavorable teams happens in every level. It's just what you do with the team and how you react which changes the entire game.
02/12/2018 03:31 PMPosted by AXIOS

A Zarya is worth a lot more than her bubbles much like how D.Va is a lot more than her defense matrix, Orisa and Reinhardt is a lot more than her shields, and Roadhog is more than his hook (admittedly was not this way before, but it's a lot better now). If you want to climb and Zarya isn't working, try out another role or another hero.

D.Va is an amazing hero currently and if you're Zarya isn't working with your Winston or Soldier because they keep on dying, D.Va is arguably a better defensive hero (her defense matrix and large hitbox inside of Mech can potentially let you bodyblock for your teammates and save them from heroes such as Soldier, McCree, Roadhog, etc.). Ideally, Zarya is best played with Reinhardt. Reinhardt can reliably put down his shield so Zarya can bubble him and gain some free energy because of that. Zarya is not an anchor tank and is not an amazing defensive hero if the whole enemy team dives her and her backline.

However, if you're steadfast in the belief that your Zarya is worth being Diamond, here are a couple tips that will help improve your gameplay and keep your teammates alive (despite what my profile says, I have been playing tanks a lot more this season which has helped me climb [online profile for this site shows all competitive season stats]). Save your bubble for when Winston pretty much touches the ground. If you can somehow bodyblock as Zarya (smallest tank hitbox) do so. You have 400 health including a self-bubble which means that it is difficult to kill you and it is sometimes better for you to lose 200 health than your Soldier 76 from dying (I highly suggest you allow yourself to take a bit of damage and then bubble yourself so that you get healed safely letting your supports build up their ultimates). If you're Soldier 76 is dying, try to take the aggro off of him by doing what I just said and peek first so he is not the first target they see.

Trickling happens in every level. Unfavorable teams happens in every level. It's just what you do with the team and how you react which changes the entire game.

I knew most of these tips, but I appeciate a post that wasn’t needlessly snarky. I never pick Zarya if I’m an only tank — that’s a surefire disaster. I also make sure to only bubble when teammates are already getting shot at to guarantee charge. It’s just that I find cohesion is so hard to find in random competitive matches — I wish more people used common sense when playing this game. It would be so much more enjoyable.

Also, I’ve decided to use McCree, Zarya, and Moira in ranked matches FTMP as mains — I switch up when necessary. That’s another thing that irks me — people are scared to switch heroes mid-round.
02/12/2018 03:31 PMPosted by AXIOS

This is actually really solid advice.... for everyone!
02/12/2018 03:19 PMPosted by OrdealByFire
That’s how I know I don’t belong in Platinum. If people grouped up and actually played the game, I could be mid-range Diamond or higher. But I guess I’ll never know. It’s the most frustrating thing.

Your enemies also trickle. Stop blaming your team and get good. Reaching diamond isn't hard when you focus less on what your team is doing wrong and focus more on where you can improve.
02/12/2018 03:49 PMPosted by Aerohank
02/12/2018 03:19 PMPosted by OrdealByFire

Your enemies also trickle. Stop blaming your team and get good. Reaching diamond isn't hard when you focus less on what your team is doing wrong and focus more on where you can improve.

You know, I hear this all the time, and it’s wrong. I can’t improve if my team is down a healer and/or a tank at the start of a fight. Nothing I can do about that. I’ve proposed the idea of OVERTIME only matches. Each capture point is a minute long. Forces an insta-dive and for the team to go for it.

Too often I see a team get steamrolled for 7min and then in overtime, they pull it out. Happens far too frequently and gives the whole game a bit of a fluky feel.
If your rank doesn't allow for teamplay. Don't waste time trying to. Just pick someone to go in with then if everybody staggers anyways. Better than wating the whole game for something that doesn't happen.

I just got into Plat, but I use my mic and play with a good buddy on ps4. You can check our stats if you want, but I wouldn't mind playing and we're always hounding our fellow teammates to work together.
02/12/2018 05:11 PMPosted by Patrickbatem

I just got into Plat, but I use my mic and play with a good buddy on ps4. You can check our stats if you want, but I wouldn't mind playing and we're always hounding our fellow teammates to work together.

Hey sounds good, feel free to add me. OrdealByFire.
02/12/2018 06:44 PMPosted by OrdealByFire
02/12/2018 05:11 PMPosted by Patrickbatem

Hey sounds good, feel free to add me. OrdealByFire.

Cool man, will do.
02/12/2018 03:55 PMPosted by OrdealByFire
02/12/2018 03:49 PMPosted by Aerohank

You know, I hear this all the time, and it’s wrong. I can’t improve if my team is down a healer and/or a tank at the start of a fight. Nothing I can do about that. I’ve proposed the idea of OVERTIME only matches. Each capture point is a minute long. Forces an insta-dive and for the team to go for it.

Too often I see a team get steamrolled for 7min and then in overtime, they pull it out. Happens far too frequently and gives the whole game a bit of a fluky feel.

Sorry, but it is true.
If you need the stars to allign for you to get to diamond, you are not a diamond level player. If you can't improvise around a sub-optimal team comp, than that is on you.
Call them out SPECIFICALLY "hey McCree you are alone, if you get picked here we'll lose the next fight". I find that it's always the low mobility heros that peak and get picked.

You should pay attention to how often the enemy team does the same thing. The answer may surprise you.
02/12/2018 03:47 PMPosted by OrdealByFire
That’s another thing that irks me — people are scared to switch heroes mid-round.
When the game eats your Ult Charge earned when you switch, should you still be surprised?
I added.
Yea i am pretty much fed up too. I had a game on Numbani last night and the opposing team on offense went Widow / Hanzo and our tanks went Zarya / Hog and would not switch. you can imagine how that turned out. Honestly I have just taken to leaving games that are unwinnable and taking a break. I don't really care if i get banned. I keep getting silenced for longer and longer terms for arguing with people who are bad. I just don't really care anymore and if i get banned or whatever fine. The people in this game are dumb and lack any sort of basic strategy.
It's because it's plat and gold. They're bigger idiots than Silver. Everyone has an ego,because they think they can solo an entire team. I just want to have several good games everyday, it's many bad games everyday.
I've mostly been in gold and have wanted to play Zarya in comp. But alas it's almost never a good idea - people will flank in all directions except at payloads and cap points so you never get to maximum charge ever.

The feeding is real, though as you push past gold atleast some people will start to listen to callouts and simple strats.
Still a chaotic mess though.