4 Billion dollars in microtransactions in 2017

General Discussion
"Overwatch is a dead game"
02/09/2018 02:49 PMPosted by Satchyss
Now there is no excuse as to why they refuse to expand their team of 100 people
Uh, sure there is. That's like saying, "if a restaurant is getting so many customers and making a lot of money, they should hire more wait-staff and cooks to get people seated and food cooked faster!" That's not how it works. You're still limited by things such as seating constraints (office space), training people, having to manage more people can mean things taking longer as you suddenly have to sort through more work, figuring out how many you actually need as full-time hires and which as part-time or even contracted work, etc.
That's just sad
02/09/2018 02:18 PMPosted by idSurge
Well done Blizz.

Should keep this game rolling for years on end.

Yeah, with 3 heroes and 2 maps a year if we are lucky and a minimalistic balance patch every 2 month, that ruins at least one hero.
And yet content for the game rolls out at a snails pace. Compared to other games that actually release new content and keep updating the game to make it more balanced/fixed, Overwatch is a joke.
And still no 144 tick servers.
02/09/2018 02:31 PMPosted by fayescarlet
Jeez. We better see more frequent map, hero, and cosmetic releases. That’s a lot of freakin’ money.

Don't hold your breath. Blizzard has always stated things like, "Quality over quantity" and doesn't expand their teams much to ramp up production based on revenue.
02/09/2018 04:45 PMPosted by Wicked

Remember this game was released at 20Hz netcode?

6 month of closed beta at 20Hz, because this was meant to be Blizzard's next gen MMO.
Jeez. We better see more frequent map, hero, and cosmetic releases. That’s a lot of freakin’ money.

This money is from across all of Activision and Blizzard's games with microtransactions, it's not like the Overwatch team has 4 billion dollers to throw around.

Not all of that is Blizzard, though, and Overwatch isn't the only Blizzard game with microtransactions. Activision also develops Call of Duty and Destiny, and they own Candy Crush.
02/09/2018 02:46 PMPosted by Shadow

Blizzard tends to keep their projects in development for 10 years +
But frequency is not going to increase, for blizzard it is quality over quantity. That is what makes the game successful.

What you are likely to see is more robust higher production maps though, instead of more in number. Also a lot of that money is going to be used as future investment for new projects.

Keep dreaming.

Blizz making all that money just means their bank accounts get fatter.

If they making money as is with OW I guarantee they will do not one thing more then they have been doing.

All this will lead to is more resources being shovelled over to loot boxes and the rest of the content will slow to an even weaker dribble then its at currently.

The only thing that leads to more investment is dropping income numbers, not rising.

And when that point comes for OW (depending on the level of drop)it will likely be cheaper for them to drop all support and get you connected to their next feedbag for a couple years.

OW wont last 10 years with the type of minimal support it has today, "MAYBE" the servers will still be on consoles, but thats a big "MAYBE".
Now they need to give it all to me. So I can get things for myself, haha.

Good for them. I enjoy the game.
02/09/2018 03:07 PMPosted by Metronome
Now there is no excuse as to why they refuse to expand their team of 100 people
Uh, sure there is. That's like saying, "if a restaurant is getting so many customers and making a lot of money, they should hire more wait-staff and cooks to get people seated and food cooked faster!" That's not how it works. You're still limited by things such as seating constraints (office space), training people, having to manage more people can mean things taking longer as you suddenly have to sort through more work, figuring out how many you actually need as full-time hires and which as part-time or even contracted work, etc.

Someone above 20 I see!! As a business owner I support this message.

These guys think increased profits means something else, when what they really mean is increased profits only.
02/09/2018 04:47 PMPosted by Remedy

Don't hold your breath. Blizzard has always stated things like, "Quality over quantity" and doesn't expand their teams much to ramp up production based on revenue.

Jeff actually stated they were slowing production down for this game like mid or early last year.

So maybe 2018 we will get 2 new heroes??? Lets hope no less then that.

They said free content forever, they never said it would be a sufficient amount though. Devil in the details.

Been saying this for months. We are collectively their support system and biggest investor. I think we deserve a lot more than we are given, since we are continually filling bank accounts.
02/09/2018 02:53 PMPosted by Plutarch
Where is that money all going to is what I'd like to know.
Into all of their current games, their future projects, their employees, their other industries like merchandise and marketing, and more general stuff like building infrastructure, bills, contracting, expansion, then there is of course things like GST and VAT, as well as platforming licensing and networking.

It works the same as any company's income.
Seriously! Now there is no excuse as to why they refuse to expand their team of 100 people (i think is what was said at some point) so that content and balancing can not be so stagnant and non-existant feeling
Having more people and more money does not automatically fix every problem. In fact, it usually CAUSES problems. It also doesn't change how many hours you can get out of a day.
I'm more interested in what type of people that money came from. How much of it came from people with mental illness (Collector's OCD), gambling addicts or children?

That matters far more than how much they made, because that suggests what the longevity of this income is... and I suspect the income wont be that reliable in the future as people learn that they're getting screwed.
02/09/2018 05:05 PMPosted by BT160507
02/09/2018 03:07 PMPosted by Metronome
...Uh, sure there is. That's like saying, "if a restaurant is getting so many customers and making a lot of money, they should hire more wait-staff and cooks to get people seated and food cooked faster!" That's not how it works. You're still limited by things such as seating constraints (office space), training people, having to manage more people can mean things taking longer as you suddenly have to sort through more work, figuring out how many you actually need as full-time hires and which as part-time or even contracted work, etc.

Someone above 20 I see!! As a business owner I support this message.

These guys think increased profits means something else, when what they really mean is increased profits only.

No, they expand their locations and continue to increase profit. They don't sit with their thumbs up their bums saying, "We're doing good enough!".

I pray for your business if this is your logic, LOL.
02/09/2018 05:24 PMPosted by Cujo
I'm more interested in what type of people that money came from. How much of it came from people with mental illness (Collector's OCD), gambling addicts or children?
Statistically, probably very very little of it, especially considering how few of those people there actually are playing videogames.
02/09/2018 05:24 PMPosted by Cujo
That matters far more than how much they made, because that suggests what the longevity of this income is... and I suspect the income wont be that reliable in the future as people learn that they're getting screwed.
The income clearly has solid longevity because it's been going on for a long time and shows no signs of slowing down. Maybe people aren't being as 'screwed' as you think.

You know not all microtransactions are loot boxes, right?
02/09/2018 04:47 PMPosted by Duke
02/09/2018 04:45 PMPosted by Wicked

Remember this game was released at 20Hz netcode?

6 month of closed beta at 20Hz, because this was meant to be Blizzard's next gen MMO.
Yeah, no. That's not the case. This game was not repurposed from Titan. It simply came after it, and used some designs.

Also, lol @ people STILL thinking tickrate is the problem.