Reaper is fine but yet underpowered

General Discussion
02/09/2018 03:27 PMPosted by OWSaint
You could always switch off to another character

So Reaper is not supposed to be played because two of his hard-counters are in every match?
Yadda yadda yadda dive DPS r 2 gud *sadface*

When directly compared to Genji and Tracer Reaper has one major flaw; no safe way to close distance. He can Wraith in but then he can't Wraith out. Shadow Step is the equivalent of a cartoon slot machine hitting a jackpot and guarantees death when used near a fight.

Imagine this. You've just finished giving the enemy Winston (who pushed up too far) a buckshot moneyshot in one of the alleyways on Illios Lighthouse. The remainder of both teams are having a slap fight just outside of the objective. As Reapr how do you become part of that fight without immediately being murderfied by the enemy DPS?

Well you could Shadow Step onto the roof of the objective but anyone with at least 2 of their 5 senses still functioning will notice you instantly. You could Wraith in but then you can't Wraith out for 8 seconds. Guess you just walk in and hope the enemy team takes pity on your hero choice. I'm being a bit dramatic but I honestly feel this is Reaper's biggest flaw right now.

Now Reaper can pelt out high burst damage and is a terrifying force when up close. If he can never get close though he's not very useful. We wouldn't want him to move too easily or he'd be Super-Tracer. I suggest the following: Eliminations reduce the cooldown of Wraith Form by 1 second. This way a fast escape is only possible after a quality killstreak.

Either that or we only play Reaper on Defense.
I just am at a loss that people in this game think Reaper, Sym and other insane chars need buffs.. Reaper can 1-2 shot most squishy players. His ult can return him to full health if he hits multiple people. Just... whut
02/09/2018 03:25 PMPosted by Gungnir
02/09/2018 03:20 PMPosted by Raisins
The new buff to Death Blossom will help eradicating barrier users in a very small amount of time. That's a lot of power.

But Death Blossom is in my opinion the easiest ult to counter in the game.

It actually has the most counters in the game too. Almost every hero can counter his ult in some way.

It's a pretty long list

Offense:

Sombra: Hack or EMP disrupts deathblossom

Mccree: Flashbang interrupts deathblossom

Pharah: Can kill him while ulting from a safe distance but more importantly she can use concussive blast to displace him

Genji: Can deflect deathblossom into reaper

Defence:

Junkrat: Can use his mine to displace reaper

Widowmaker: Can kill Reaper in one hit with a headshot

Hazno: Can kill Reaper in one hit with scatter arrow and a headshot

Mei: Can use Ice Wall to block off team from damage

Torbjorn: Armor pack gives himself and teammates 75+ hp plus the damage reduction that armor has to offer, A small counter but nevertheless a effective counter.

Basation: If he's in a safe distance he shreds an ulting Reaper

Tank:

Roadhog: Hook disrupts Deathblossom

D.va: Defense matrix mitigates damage

Orisa: Halt displaces an ulting reaper

Support:

Lucio: Sound Barrier mitigates damage

Zenyatta: Transcendence mitigates damage

Ana: Sleep dart disrupts death blossom and Bio Grenade removes his self sustain.
02/09/2018 04:00 PMPosted by Wazam
I just am at a loss that people in this game think Reaper, Sym and other insane chars need buffs.. Reaper can 1-2 shot most squishy players. His ult can return him to full health if he hits multiple people. Just... whut

I cant tell if satire or not due to your reasons, not your statement. Sym is weak because she is a defensive hero but her kit revolves around setup only. Reaper can 1-2 shot heroes yes- at 1m ( the enemy's head is in the screen) to 2m respectively unless the spread aigns perfectly for the second shot ( then 3m). His ult is like pharah's which means easy to shut down and kill. For those statements, most people are fine with. The issues most people who play reaper have is the mobility options. Shadowstep is too poor to use dependably. Its tricky to aim properly, it has a 2 sec cast time and it only goes 30m in that time with reaper giving a full fanfare the entire time. Wraith form is better, but its mostly a contesting and dodging tool more than anything, yet its predictable enough that there is a decent window for the enemy to devastate a reaper before he can do anything ( imagine if mei had a significant delay right out of ice block or tracer being stuck for a second when she blinks) . Its just too poor of a moveset for a point blank dps hero when mid and long range heroes get faster and safer movement options to get in and out of a fight.

Gold rank and Master+ rank is almost like two completely different games.

That's the issue here.

Reaper becomes useless against players with good mechanical skills.
02/09/2018 03:29 PMPosted by dradventure

It actually has the most counters in the game too. Almost every hero can counter his ult in some way.
Lol most counterable ult. Hi my name is mei and you might maybe get frozen

Look at the time... It's HIIIIIIII... ughhhhhhhhhhhh...
And to add insult to injury tracer is better than reaper at close range dps since she can literally 1 clip enemies and severely damage tanks and get out scot free.
02/09/2018 04:21 PMPosted by go123452
And to add insult to injury tracer is better than reaper at close range dps since she can literally 1 clip enemies and severely damage tanks and get out scot free.

"But no let's buff death blossom"
Reaper is really only good as a tankbuster right now sadly. I play mostly mystery heros and he is good in there but aside from some arcade modes he isn't hugely useful. I do hope they buff him a bit. All i want is a slightly faster teleport for him. It would be nice if you could teleport away quickily if in danger. That would make it like widows hook. The only other option to make him better is to add more %life steal when he hits people.
02/09/2018 03:10 PMPosted by SǾMBRUH
02/09/2018 03:08 PMPosted by Sinzh
Reaper is actually a pretty good counter to Junkrat as well.
He used to be, now Junkrat has no weakness at close range

Yep, makes 0 sense how the Australian bootleg Joker with the grenade launcher is much better at close quarters than the edgelord with the dual wield shotguns.
02/09/2018 02:50 PMPosted by Gungnir
02/09/2018 02:42 PMPosted by QuirkyTurtle
I haven't had too much of a problem with Reaper. Most tracers stay away or at least back up a bit to the point they can't kill you. As for Genji you just have to wait when he's gonna deflect. Most of the time Genjis deflect after your first or second shot. As for ulting I don't know what to say about Tracer but for Genji just listen for the deflect noise if you can't see him. Once you hear it you're good to ult. Usually Ana's sleep dart or a D.Va is more of a concert for me though.

No offence but you're low Plat.

A Master+ Genji and Tracer is something else entirely compared to low Plat ones. The gap is too big to even compare tbh.

So we are supposed to balance in accordance to the top 5% of players, leaving the other 95% to suffer with characters only the l33t players can play averagely. K.
02/09/2018 04:09 PMPosted by Dad76

It's a pretty long list

Offense:

Sombra: Hack or EMP disrupts deathblossom

Mccree: Flashbang interrupts deathblossom

Pharah: Can kill him while ulting from a safe distance but more importantly she can use concussive blast to displace him

Genji: Can deflect deathblossom into reaper

Defence:

Junkrat: Can use his mine to displace reaper

Widowmaker: Can kill Reaper in one hit with a headshot

Hazno: Can kill Reaper in one hit with scatter arrow and a headshot

Mei: Can use Ice Wall to block off team from damage

Torbjorn: Armor pack gives himself and teammates 75+ hp plus the damage reduction that armor has to offer, A small counter but nevertheless a effective counter.

Basation: If he's in a safe distance he shreds an ulting Reaper

Tank:

Roadhog: Hook disrupts Deathblossom

D.va: Defense matrix mitigates damage

Orisa: Halt displaces an ulting reaper

Support:

Lucio: Sound Barrier mitigates damage

Zenyatta: Transcendence mitigates damage

Ana: Sleep dart disrupts death blossom and Bio Grenade removes his self sustain.
Oh hi you have. A list that is cute. Take every character and minus Anna and you have the list of mei ult counters
02/09/2018 04:09 PMPosted by Dad76
t's a pretty long list
Yes, but almost all of these will disrupt any damage-dealing ultimate. Two of them are support ultimates, which are specifically intended to save a team from damage-dealing ultimates.

Is there anything on this list that won't counter Deadeye or Barrage? I don't think so.
His problem is that his niche (close range damage dealer) competes with characters that are flat out better at it. Genji's passives alone are much more powerful than Shadowstep and Wraith Form combined. Tracer does comparable if not higher DPS, has more reliable sustain, better range, and boatloads more mobility. Shadowstep is next to useless against enemies with half decent map knowledge and using Wraith Form offensively is suicidal. He's a decent tank buster but other characters (Tracer, Junkrat for instance) already do that well at close range without suffering from his crippling weaknesses.

He either needs an ability update that allows him to close the distance more easily, or a secondary fire that makes him half decent at anything beyond melee range.
02/09/2018 04:14 PMPosted by Gungnir

Gold rank and Master+ rank is almost like two completely different games.

That's the issue here.

Reaper becomes useless against players with good mechanical skills.

While I agree with your point all you did all thread is talk up how big of a difference there is from lower comp ranks and higher ones without explaining anything, describing how the skill gap makes a major difference and how this pertains to the conversation. 'No offence' all you want, you're just failing to contribute anything but condescension.