Hanzo Scatter Arrow Rework Idea -- Leave your own too

General Discussion
02/09/2018 06:41 PMPosted by Skrimiche
A smoke bomb arrow that conceals you+your allies while standing in it and kinda blinds enemies would be cool. It could work as a reliable escape, an anti-flanker tool, or a tool to break past chokes (blind 'em and run).

Doable. Such as your team being about to see through it and enemies not being able to. It would not be overpowered simply because you can see the trace of rounds exiting from the cloud if you are using it for offensive purpose. But would be great to aid in retreats. I like it.
I would like to see a net arrow

You fire an arrow that splits in the air into a net which then wraps around a player and stuns them also dealing damage.

the player is stunned for 5 seconds or until the net is shot and destroyed

the idea would be to use it to isolate supports and take out people using their ults
02/09/2018 06:44 PMPosted by orthrus

You fire an arrow that splits in the air into a net which then wraps around a player and stuns them also dealing damage.

the idea would be to use it to isolate supports and take out people using their ults

I feel 5 seconds would be way too long for such a stun that does damage, let alone allows a Hanzo to carefully aim a head shot. Mccree's stun is so short to allow you to live through it. A 5 second Hanzo net is as good as a scatter arrow at your feet, insta death.
02/09/2018 06:46 PMPosted by SeaTea
02/09/2018 06:44 PMPosted by orthrus

I feel 5 seconds would be way too long for such a stun that does damage, let alone allows a Hanzo to carefully aim a head shot. Mccree's stun is so short to allow you to live through it. A 5 second Hanzo net is as good as a scatter arrow at your feet, insta death.

i suppose we could make it do no damage, 10 second cooldown.

i also think its projectile speed should probably be lower, perhaps similar to ana sleep dart?
To me it seems scatter arrow was intended as a close-quarters contingency for Hanzo, but something went horribly wrong somewhere so more often than not it's an RNG based one-shot mess. So his new ability should help him at close range.

Following that, they could take cues from the animated short and have him be able to swing his bow in an arc in front of him, knocking back enemies. Thematically I think it also fits, Hanzo was a full-fledged ninja before he was an archer, he shouldn't be helpless up close.
Imo sonic is the most reliable part of his kit, its prob the least important part to replace.

I feel like scatter will always be inconsistent due to map design.
Ledges everywhere etc.
I say just replace it with a consistent ability that follows the same logic as every other arrow.
The initial arrow always have the same stats.
Scatter, sonic, even ult arrow (except velocity for intended reasons).

Replacements i could like:
Explosive arrow
125 arrow dmg (can hs)
High burst aoe dmg

Rapid fire
Upon activation hanzos next three arrows are instantly fully charged when drawn from his quiver.
Hanzo enters a mode where he can fire three arrows in quick succession.
Lasts 5 seconds.
Can be cancelled with (R)eload button.
Cooldown begins when it's no longer in use.

He needs more mobility.
An escape mechanic.
I think it's a salvageable ability that needs adjustment rather than replacement. I suggest letting the damage start off low then ramping up as the arrows bounce. When it first hits and splits, each shard could do somewhere around 35-45 damage, only enough to kill off squishies and low-health enemies. As the arrow bounces off surfaces, it increases in damage, say to a max of somewhere 80-100. This will let him more reliably zone areas like hallways and finish off retreating injured enemies like the ability is designed for, but still allow him to do some burst damage in a pinch.
What if he has a curveball of an arrow attack where whatever target he shoots for, the arrow will have a mild curve to it. It's not going to be able to curve twice or that dramatically, and if you do a curved shot, it cannot be a head shot.

My other idea once was to increase the number of fragments of scatter arrow to 8, since that makes sense based upon what you see on the arrow head and decrease the damage so that the base damage is the same.

OP? Maybe, but fun ideas none the less. His sonic arrow CD feels pretty long sometimes, but it's super poweful to see targets around walls and decloak Sombra.
just posted this on a hanzo rework video and it might be a good idea, lemme know what you think. Hopefully someone from blizzard sees this.

"I think a smoke arrow would make the most sense. Utility and no instakill. Would help with defense and coupled with his sonic arrow, it'd be a cool 1-2 punch that hopefully isn't OP.

Maybe targets in the smoke cloud and marked with sonic should be shown as a fuzzy aura instead of exact silhouettes so it's not a death sentence. Anyone else agree or had the same idea?"
Well I think Maybe We give him an ability similar to lucios crossfade that lets him switch between different arrow Types.

Toxin arrows - 20 sec cool down
When connecting with a Player, Wall, Floor, or Roof Releases poison gas doing 2-5 dmg per sec for 6 seconds.
Ice arrows (Or net arrows) - 12 sec cooldown
Does about 4 dmg but applies a 4 sec slow effect and stops movement abilities such as blink, Amp it up, Genjis double jump, Ect.
Fire arrows - 10 sec cool down
Arrows that apply a 5 burn dmg for 4 seconds to certain characters Like tracer ana mercy. Basically human characters.
Electric arrows - 10 sec cool down
Basically Fire arrows but affects Omnics.

I also dont like sonar arrow cause it always made me feel like why have a widow ult, So I prefer replacing it

Sake Bomb - 30 sec cool down
Throws his sake on the ground that lasts 8 seconds and causes a anti heal effect (Like ana). It can also be used with fire arrow to cause a flaming pool but it removes the anti heal effect

People will prob hate my ideas tho Lol
i made a post about this earlier but it was so long that i guess my thing timed out but an idea i had was he uses his R to scan or copy another hero either ally or enemy and then his shift or E would do something based on the hero copied with a 20 second cooldown and most of them would bounce 3 times or till it hit a target ex: Sombra would make a hack arrow...or Junkrat would make a cluster bomb spread kinda thing Soldier would make a biotic field
I have been playing elder scrolls and wanted hanzo to have elemental arrows (fire, ice, poision)

I know this could never work cause it would be OP and a programming nightmare to make it work in overwatch.
Keep scatter, nerf damage but add stun.
Instead of 6 shards he only fires 3, which makes up a total of 3*75dmg = 225dmg
Each shard has a stun effect of 0.25 seconds. Does stack to maximum of 0.75 seconds.

Then add new ability "Substitution" on his alt fire.
Hanzo marks a target for 2 seconds and if he gets hit by that target in that time frame, the dmg is negated, Hanzo vanishes leaves a tree stump in his place and appears 10 m behind the target.
There is a game called smite where there is a goddess name Artemis and she have an ability that she shoot up in to the air a valley of arrows and it lands on a target area mane they should do something like that But give it 250 damage if you hit all arrows (witch should be impossible) so you won’t 1 shot tracer and stuff like that just make it big enough so it can’t 1 shoot someone and a lot of arrows so it won’t be to much poke so to it being a large AOE
02/09/2018 10:14 PMPosted by KuroTheGory
Well I think Maybe We give him an ability similar to lucios crossfade that lets him switch between different arrow Types.

Toxin arrows - 20 sec cool down
When connecting with a Player, Wall, Floor, or Roof Releases poison gas doing 2-5 dmg per sec for 6 seconds.
Ice arrows (Or net arrows) - 12 sec cooldown
Does about 4 dmg but applies a 4 sec slow effect and stops movement abilities such as blink, Amp it up, Genjis double jump, Ect.
Fire arrows - 10 sec cool down
Arrows that apply a 5 burn dmg for 4 seconds to certain characters Like tracer ana mercy. Basically human characters.
Electric arrows - 10 sec cool down
Basically Fire arrows but affects Omnics.

I also dont like sonar arrow cause it always made me feel like why have a widow ult, So I prefer replacing it

Sake Bomb - 30 sec cool down
Throws his sake on the ground that lasts 8 seconds and causes a anti heal effect (Like ana). It can also be used with fire arrow to cause a flaming pool but it removes the anti heal effect

People will prob hate my ideas tho Lol
Should make them intoxicated for 3 sec so they can’t fully control the hero for those 2 sec
Also on the note of ideas, in line with your piercing arrow (because im a fan of giving him MULTIPLE utility arrows) why not give him some kind of emp arrow that specifically does a lot of damage to reinhardt/winston/orisa shields. The only problem with this would be of course theres already a TON of shield breaking potential in the game so it might lead to strategies of doubling up on shields to compensate.

Additionally why not give him some arrows thatll melt armor health and blue shield health respectively, cause Hanzo to be more proactive in picking targets and contribute to a team fight.
02/09/2018 10:18 PMPosted by DarkFox
i made a post about this earlier but it was so long that i guess my thing timed out but an idea i had was he uses his R to scan or copy another hero either ally or enemy and then his shift or E would do something based on the hero copied with a 20 second cooldown and most of them would bounce 3 times or till it hit a target ex: Sombra would make a hack arrow...or Junkrat would make a cluster bomb spread kinda thing Soldier would make a biotic field

holy **** i love this idea
Dazing Arrow - Doesn't deal damage, but stuns enemies hit for .75 seconds. Hits all enemies in a small radius if fired into the ground. (Kinda like Flashbang)

This would make Hanzo better in 1v1's, (Tanks, being dived, hyper-mobile heroes, Sym, etc...) giving him a good chance to land a headshot or two, so his damage output isn't really changed, just the skill required for it.

It could also act as an escape, letting Hanzo run/wallclimb away before the stun wears off.

Since he never needs to reload, I was thinking of making his 'R' a kind of escape ability. Like, he throws down a smoke bomb, becomes invisible for a fraction of a second, and gets a long/super jump (Kinda like Fade)
02/10/2018 09:21 AMPosted by Ariock
Dazing Arrow - Doesn't deal damage, but stuns enemies hit for .75 seconds. Hits all enemies in a small radius if fired into the ground. (Kinda like Flashbang)

This would make Hanzo better in 1v1's, (Tanks, being dived, hyper-mobile heroes, Sym, etc...) giving him a good chance to land a headshot or two, so his damage output isn't really changed, just the skill required for it.

It could also act as an escape, letting Hanzo run/wallclimb away before the stun wears off.

Since he never needs to reload, I was thinking of making his 'R' a kind of escape ability. Like, he throws down a smoke bomb, becomes invisible for a fraction of a second, and gets a long/super jump (Kinda like Fade)
This sounds like my idea