Why is auto aim in the game?

General Discussion
Ofc it would be a genji one trick in silver complaining about auto-aim weapons and saying they are OP.

While playing a char who can spam right click somewhere in the general direction of the enemy and still hit, has massively generous AOE hitbox on swiftstrike and dragonblade so only has to swing them somewhere around enemies and massive, invisible shield on deflect so it does not have to be placed accurately in the way of bullets to catch and deflect them.

I wonder if winston, symmetra and moira hurt this player bad so they had to come to whine on forums about the supposedly un-FPS like design of this game which is as far from old school fps as I can throw it.
Because its Overwatch and not CS:GO. There are characters that can blink, fly, punch, hook, etc. There's even a melee character.

You want a game to show your prozzz aim skillzzz? Go play CS:GO. Or better yet, play CoD, it seems to suits you more.
...AND now the gold mercy mains are here to explain how she's actually harder than tracer because it recquires "game sense". They'll say to go play COD(which doesn't make sense because both games are FPSs but ok) and call you a try-hard/elitist. Then, they'll say you're a (insert rank slightly lower then their own) DPS main (even if you flex a lot) and report you for toxicity.
Disabled people want to play games too.
Why have melee heroes in a FPS?

Oh because Overwatch is specifically founded on unique Heroes with unique playstyles.

-Winston is meant to dive behind enemy lines. Hitting multiple enemies is necessary.

-Moira must do damage in order to heal consistently without being as difficult to play like Ana

-Symmetra needs to defend her structures and healers from flankers, which have the best mobility.

And then there's Soldier 76 and Mccree's ultimates...which don't require aim either.
02/10/2018 10:25 PMPosted by OneTrickPony
Disabled people want to play games too.

Them and those who don't have the super gaming PC with a 140hz monitor with 1ms latency at home.
I've personally hooked my PC to a 5.1 receiver that goes into a 60inch HDTV with a 60ms input lag in game mode. Because my PC is not meant primarily for gaming, but for watching movies and TV shows.
With 60ms input lag my cursor feels floaty and I can't play Mcree Widow, soldier or anything that resembles a "classic" FPS character.
But I still can somehow play well Zarya, Zen and Moira, as even if my cursor is slightly off target most of the time, the size of the projectile or hitbox is bigger to compensate that fact and allow me to play this game as well.
With Zen, I feel the input lag even helps me aiming as I will often lead the target without even knowing it.
Look at that a silver gengu main. Rank up a little bit and you will see how much skill these characters require and how about actually play them.
Go

02/10/2018 07:38 PMPosted by ShadowBoxing
I'm talking about weapons that you don't have to aim, such as Winston and Moira. Even if the heroes who have don't aim don't do as much damage as others, what is the rational for having the game mechanic to begin with? As far as I can tell it doesn't add anything to the game at all. Yes heroes can be balanced around their lack of aim, but even with this, why was it originally put in? It's only purpose seems to remove what is arguably the most important mechanical skill from a character. I've heard people say that it is good for characters designed for new players, but characters can easily be designed to be easy to learn without relying on a mechanic such as this. And having the mechanic either forces characters to be overpowered and lack counterplay, or have some other crippling weakness such as a short range. I don't think that any of the characters who have auto aim in their kits rely on not being able to aim, and they could all function just as well, if not better, if they were forced to aim like all the other heroes. All that the mechanic does is hurt heroes, and make them cheesy and infuriating to deal with, especially at lower elo.
play C

02/10/2018 07:38 PMPosted by ShadowBoxing
I'm talking about weapons that you don't have to aim, such as Winston and Moira. Even if the heroes who have don't aim don't do as much damage as others, what is the rational for having the game mechanic to begin with? As far as I can tell it doesn't add anything to the game at all. Yes heroes can be balanced around their lack of aim, but even with this, why was it originally put in? It's only purpose seems to remove what is arguably the most important mechanical skill from a character. I've heard people say that it is good for characters designed for new players, but characters can easily be designed to be easy to learn without relying on a mechanic such as this. And having the mechanic either forces characters to be overpowered and lack counterplay, or have some other crippling weakness such as a short range. I don't think that any of the characters who have auto aim in their kits rely on not being able to aim, and they could all function just as well, if not better, if they were forced to aim like all the other heroes. All that the mechanic does is hurt heroes, and make them cheesy and infuriating to deal with, especially at lower elo.
Go play COD then.
Say it isn't so, a Genji complaining about Winston and Moira.