Is Moira's beam range too long?

General Discussion
I personally think yes and wondering what the consensus is.
It's on par with the effective ranges of most hitscan heroes.

So, not really.
Nope.
It doesn't do an awful lot of damage and it doesn't lock on like Symm's beam so I think it's fine
It only does 40dps, makes sense it would have a decent range.
02/10/2018 07:59 PMPosted by Yin

So, not really.

hitscan can't lock on though.
OP is probably a Genji main, let me check.

... Oh, Solider 76 and Junkrat.

I don't even know then.
She doesn't do much damage and needs to hit people to be able to charge up her healing ability. It needs to be long or she quickly becomes a worthless healer.
I personally think it’s fine, but that’s just me.
02/10/2018 08:00 PMPosted by mysticdragon
02/10/2018 07:59 PMPosted by Yin

So, not really.

hitscan can't lock on though.

Moira can't attack at all outside of that range with normal attack.
It’s fine. It’s 21m which is about the same length as roadhogs hook for reference. It’s a little more forgiving when it comes to aiming but you do have to track your target to deal damage and it’s only 50dps. Plus, she has to deal damage with it in order to recharge her heals so the range on it is important.
Just a bit maybe.
To lock on at distance, it needs almost perfect aim, so I'm okay with it.
moria can reach from 1 side of the universe to the other so yeah its not that big of a deal
Its fine.
Having played a lot of Moira, I can explain why the range is necessary.

Moira is supposed to play behind her tanks, in order to heal spray them. So, imagine being behind your Rein on defense in Eichenwalde. Your team is taking massive damage and you have a moment to recharge your healing resource, but to do so you have to drain an opponent. Most choke fights here are at about the distance of Moira's beam. This allows Moira to charge her healing from behind her team's cover.

If her beam was shorter, she would have to leave that safety or her shield would have to go forward into dangerous territory.

If they ever nerf her beam range, they would have to allow her resource to recharge a lot faster, or allow her damage orbs to recharge it as well.

Flanking with her is actually not what she was designed for. People who do so are the ones who go full DPS mode. Bad Moiras.

Also, barriers counter her normal damage beam, as it doesn't go through them, and she doesn't recharge her healing from them. She punishes lone uncoordinated flanking, which most flanker/dive mains are not used to. Burst damage, self sustain, and tanks are her counter, as she should never be able to beat a Roadhog 1v1.
No, her beam range is fine. Having infinite ammo at 50dps, auto aim, and 35self heals per second needs to be fixed though.