PING ISSUES 20 days and counting

Technical Support
Here we are 20+ days later, and still major Blizzard networking issues impacting tens of thousands.

Can Blizzard tech please post a sticky and acknowledge this issue and that something is being done to resolve it?
Blizzard will never acknowledge that this issue was their fault when it is.

The only thing they will do is blame us, the consumer, and tell us to give them information on what is happening with each of us individually. Which lets be honest, will not solve any problem at all.

All the information they need is right here in the forms, where you are having players all on different servers having the exact same issue. I have done my own testing with it in game, and where i play on the US east coast servers i have noticed with the Ping graph's up,(CTRL+Shift+N if you were wondering how to do it in game), and seeing the the PNG and RTT rates are at a higher ping then normal causing Ping issues with alot of players, myself and players with fiber internet, to have desync and rubber banding issues.

It all happen after the lunar event patch went live, however, i noticed it did get worse on the day Blizzard decided to preform Live Maintenance on the servers instead of just taking them down to do it like they should of.

Blizzard, i know you are reading these, Run your own tests directly on the servers and you will see its is a problem you need to fix not us.
im also getting some nasty spikes. i usually average at 35ms and started to spike to what im assuming is around 300-400ms, but its so fast that my png counter only shows up to 90ms
Hey there, you two.

Servers are currently stable and have been for a while now. I see there's been a large amount of speculation on some threads you've both been involved in. However, we aren't currently aware of any widespread issues with latency, especially ones that have been ongoing for several weeks. Every once in a while a single large scale ISP issue will pop up that affects thousands of users, but those are also usually handled within 24 hours. Currently we aren't tracking any of those, so we need to figure out what's going on here.

The vast majority of the time when we hear issues like yours, there's something local that you can fix or that needs your ISP's intervention. If there is something going on, we can grab some information to see if we can find it, though.

Can you get us a WinMTR test while the problems are actively happening and let us know what IP address you see in the top left of the netgraph? It's possible you're being routed to the wrong server, or it's equally likely that the problem is just the route you take to our servers.

Thanks!
Hey there, you two.

Servers are currently stable and have been for a while now. I see there's been a solid amount of speculation on some threads you've both been involved in. However, we aren't currently aware of any widespread issues with latency, especially ones that have been ongoing for several weeks. Every once in a while an ISP issue will pop up, but the vast majority of the time when we hear issues like yours, there's something local that you can fix or that needs your ISP's intervention. If there is something going on, we can grab some information to see if we can find it, though.

Can you get us a [url="https://battle.net/support/article/27780"]WinMTR test[/url] while the problems are actively happening and let us know what IP address you see in the top left of the netgraph? It's possible you're being routed to the wrong server, or it's equally likely that the problem is just the route you take to our servers.

Thanks!

There it is, not taking responibility for your problems you claim all is stable but i would disagree entirely, you see because not only am i running a new computer, but until the lunar event patch went live, i had zero problems with latency. not to mention i have already spoken with my ISP about it and nothing is wrong on their end, the facts are there are too many people having this exact issue and you seem to want to tell us its on our end when it really is on your end.

Back in the 90's, and early 2000's the moment something like this came up surrounding and of your game servers, which if i remember right there was one for World of Warcraft back then i heard about, you immediately fixed the problem because you went to your side of things ran diagnostics and found what needed to be fixed instead of actually telling the community they were wrong when we are clearly right.

Why dont you do a WinMTR on your servers and see if that tells you the problem. 20 Bucks says you wont even know where to start with the problem when its done.
First off, that's not a thing that is possible. WinMTR is a connection test between two different locations. If you specifically are having a problem, the winMTR has to be run from your house otherwise the data is useless.

Secondly, for every person having this problem there are orders of magnitude more players not having problems. When we see server issues, we get on them, as soon as humanly possible. We have complex monitoring tools that give us information on our server health. If there is a server issue, we usually know before you do and are already on it. In those cases, the reply I give threads is "We're on it, thanks for the reports" or "We need some more information for (insert reason here). Please send us (certain type of test)"

It makes no sense for either of us to waste our time gathering data for a problem we know the cause of. There are certainly times when we think it's possible that there's a problem with, for instance, one of our peers that your ISP uses. That is a possibility that the WinMTR test from your house can help us identify. If the tests show that that is the case, we might be able to work with them to get the situation resolved.

If you don't want to help us investigate what's going on by providing data, that's fine. However, it is unreasonable for you to expect us to help you identify or fix the problem or take responsibility for something without any information.

Let's work together to figure this out. I get that this is annoying. I want you to be able to play the game and enjoy it with normal latency, but without this data we are just taking shots in the dark.
First off, that's not a thing that is possible. WinMTR is a connection test between two different locations. If you specifically are having a problem, the winMTR has to be run from your house otherwise the data is useless.

Secondly, for every person having this problem there are orders of magnitude more players not having problems. When we see server issues, we get on them, as soon as humanly possible. We have complex monitoring tools that give us information on our server health. If there is a server issue, we usually know before you do and are already on it. In those cases, the reply I give threads is "We're on it, thanks for the reports" or "We need some more information for (insert reason here). Please send us (certain type of test)"

It makes no sense for either of us to waste our time gathering data for a problem we know exists. There are certainly times when we think it's possible that there's a problem with, for instance, one of our peers that your ISP uses. That is a possibility that the WinMTR test from your house can help us identify. If the tests show that that is the case, we might be able to work with them to get the situation resolved.

If you don't want to help us investigate what's going on by providing data, that's fine. However, it is unreasonable for you to expect us to help you identify or fix the problem or take responsibility for something without any information.

Let's work together to figure this out. I get that this is annoying. I want you to be able to play the game and enjoy it with normal latency, but without this data we are just taking shots in the dark.

Its pointless to reason with anyone from blizzard from this day and age. I went through this same problem for over a month and a half with riot games last summer, kept saying the same thing you did, and i was the third party between them and my ISP, which was saying the same thing Riot games said.

Solution time: I got an Apology from Riot Games for making me go threw a month of that since they did something they did not try before,(Which they never said what it was), and were actually surprised to see it was their fault the entire time.

Moral of the story is i am never going threw another month of this again.
That is certainly your prerogative, but until we get those tests, we can't help. If you decide to get us the data we need to assist, I'll be happy to give it a look for you. Until then there's nothing we can do for you. Good luck.
My ping will spike here and there, but my RTT is what is killing the game for me. It will spike into the 100's. I just started getting this about a week ago. My software and drivers are up to date. I even replaced my Ethernet cable. No luck.

Also, why is it that when I go into the training room my ping will rest at 250? I've had this issue since the beta.
I'm dropping packets like crazy and cannot submit tickets in any form to help. It just says that there's an error each time. Tried 3 times on chrome and 2 on firefox and all 5 it says there's an issue submitting the ticket. Ever since the patch I too have been having issues and now I can't even open a ticket about them.
Ever since the last patch I too have been seeing ping fluctuations. It starts off ok (55ms isn't ok but whatever) and then it will climb up to 200ms, and then back down to 55ms for a while. Then up to 200ms, and back down to 55ms. Everyone in my group is seeing the same thing.
02/11/2018 06:37 PMPosted by fizzeks
My ping will spike here and there, but my RTT is what is killing the game for me. It will spike into the 100's. I just started getting this about a week ago. My software and drivers are up to date. I even replaced my Ethernet cable. No luck.

Also, why is it that when I go into the training room my ping will rest at 250? I've had this issue since the beta.

this is why i wont do the tests they ask me to do because this information is staring them in the face and they choose to overlook it.
Would a blizz person have any interest in a recorded stream of playing with the ctrl + shift + n readout going, along with the other tests? I played a whole FFA match with it and noticed my ping didn't go up, but my latency would shoot up anytime I tried to interact with someone else. I was getting regular small ping increases for like 2 seconds every 10 minutes or so, but this is different. It's consistant now, though still only seems to happen occasionally. Makes it a pain to try to troubleshoot when it's so intermittent.
02/11/2018 06:07 PMPosted by Drakuloth
Hey there, you two.

Servers are currently stable and have been for a while now. I see there's been a large amount of speculation on some threads you've both been involved in. However, we aren't currently aware of any widespread issues with latency, especially ones that have been ongoing for several weeks. Every once in a while a single large scale ISP issue will pop up that affects thousands of users, but those are also usually handled within 24 hours. Currently we aren't tracking any of those, so we need to figure out what's going on here.

The vast majority of the time when we hear issues like yours, there's something local that you can fix or that needs your ISP's intervention. If there is something going on, we can grab some information to see if we can find it, though.

Can you get us a [url="https://battle.net/support/article/27780"]WinMTR test[/url] while the problems are actively happening and let us know what IP address you see in the top left of the netgraph? It's possible you're being routed to the wrong server, or it's equally likely that the problem is just the route you take to our servers.

Thanks!

(not sure if i shoudl reply to this thread but) i'll do the winmtr thing, but are you sure its not something internal? I've been told that Kephrii is also getting fluctuating ping, but i have not yet verified this myself.
I put 4 test up in the other thread, I did 2 more last night I'll add them to this thread. Last night it seems like every game routes me to lax1. I have the Winmrt I'll add to this post when I get done from work.

There's is 100% a issue if it is a particular hop maybe that's why you are not seeing it but there is a issue hopefully we can pin it down.

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20752580207#post-11
Tonight I will also try to record some of the ping spikes with your network screen up cntrl+shift+n and upload that to YouTube if that helps identify the issue
thge same issue happens in the LatAm servers, and guess what? they tell us to go ask our ISP and run the tests... it is IMPOSSIBLE that there are the same kind of issues all arround Americas and tha the problem is because our ISP...
02/12/2018 12:01 AMPosted by Metal
Hey there, you two.

Thanks!

(not sure if i shoudl reply to this thread but) i'll do the winmtr thing, but are you sure its not something internal? I've been told that Kephrii is also getting fluctuating ping, but i have not yet verified this myself.

There have been several pro players that have had to stop streams because this issue has been impacting the entire OW community. They can't even play.
02/11/2018 06:24 PMPosted by Drakuloth

It makes no sense for either of us to waste our time gathering data for a problem we know the cause of. There are certainly times when we think it's possible that there's a problem with, for instance, one of our peers that your ISP uses. That is a possibility that the WinMTR test from your house can help us identify. If the tests show that that is the case, we might be able to work with them to get the situation resolved.

I work in IT - I get it, 9 times out of 10 it is the end user.

However, this is a regional wide issue that is impacting thousands of users. For every post on this forum - there are magnitudes more that simply don't have the patience to even make a post and hope it just gets resolved. And since it is not getting resolved - more and more are showing up every single night posting with complaints. Given the amount of problems - if I were a network engineer at blizzard - I would be all over this.

I do not view this as a server stability issue or anything wrong with your actual severs themselves - this is a WAN issue - you need to get your best and brightest network engineers on this.

I do appreciate your response - and I truly do hope something comes of it. I know that even team Mayhem is having trouble with this very issue (they are in Miami).

What we know:

1. Your servers are 'stable'
2. My ISP is 'stable' - 1GB up/down and 10 ping with ANY game
3. The route that my machine takes to get to you is insane
4. I get lower pings when I change my region from NA to Europe.
5. I am in Orlando FL

To me - clearly a network issue with Blizzard routing.
Hey there, you two.

Thanks!

Here is what you asked for.

1. Here is a youtube link (copy/paste) https://youtu.be/cw5GeGG0Qqg of WinMTR/Actual in-game/speed test stats (typically my up/down is 900/900) - skip to the 2 minute mark to view this in-action. What you will see is the game start at 150 ping, work its way down to 40, then climb right back up to 150 - this goes on over and over and over. Keep in mind, prior to this issue, my 'normal' ping was about 20-30 max. At this point, i'd be happy if I had to live with 40 forever. But 150-200? :/

2. Here are the WinMTR stats -

|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| WinMTR statistics |
| Host - % | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |
|------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|
| 192.168.1.1 - 0 | 183 | 183 | 0 | 0 | 2 | 0 |
| 216.239.169.3 - 0 | 183 | 183 | 0 | 1 | 4 | 1 |
| 216.239.161.253 - 0 | 183 | 183 | 1 | 1 | 6 | 2 |
| sbb.eth-1-1.mlx4b - 0 | 183 | 183 | 1 | 2 | 14 | 2 |
| 205.204.28.202 - 0 | 183 | 183 | 5 | 6 | 20 | 6 |
| lag-112.ear3.Miami2.Level3.net - 1 | 180 | 179 | 6 | 8 | 360 | 6 |
| No response from host - 100 | 37 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |
| BLIZZARD-EN.ear2.Miami1.Level3.net - 0 | 183 | 183 | 6 | 7 | 17 | 7 |
| ae1-br01-eqmi2.blizzardonline.net - 0 | 183 | 183 | 6 | 7 | 51 | 7 |
|xe-0-0-36-1-br01-eqda6.blizzardonline.net - 0 | 183 | 183 | 34 | 35 | 55 | 43 |
| et-0-0-49-br01-eqch2.blizzardonline.net - 0 | 183 | 183 | 38 | 39 | 52 | 39 |
|________________________________________________|______|______|______|______|______|______|
WinMTR v0.92 GPL V2 by Appnor MSP - Fully Managed Hosting & Cloud Provider