PING ISSUES 20 days and counting

Technical Support
Can't even use the Practice range, watch my ping go from 15-18ms, which it was a few weeks ago the last time I played, to rubber banding and going from 15ms to 250.

SC2, HotS, D3 which all connect to US Central as well have zero issues. Sub 20ms connections for all of those games.
It would be nice to have a lag free game session, west coast 1 gig ISP. Get maybe a few games in before starting to rtt/ind spike.
I was having the issue as well. Randomly today it stopped doing it, and I have no idea why. Expecting it to come back since others are still having the issue.
Heya strych9!

Thanks for getting back to us with that information. That WinMTR test you ran is actually nearly entirely clear. Interestingly, however, your ping time seems to be due to some kind of packet sending issue. Based on that clean WinMTR, we're probably looking at packet shaping which is usually done by a router or network manager program on your PC.

If you go over that video when the latency starts to climb and look at the bottom of the test, you'll see that your "Packet Loss Out" numbers are climbing. This eventually drops to 0 and your average ping quickly drops back to a more manageable 40-ish-ms. There's a second part of that game that climbs, and unfortunately (or fortunately for your team) you were busy harassing with tracer so couldn't get more data when it happened. I would bet, however, you'd see the same loss out numbers when it climbs.

Unfortunately your download and upload 'speed' are meaningless in this situation because more frequently this is a bandwidth type issue or something weird that is going on with a program that handles Quality of Service on your LAN or PC.

When we aren't receiving your packets, we have to fill in the blanks or re request them which creates an artificial delay, which is why you're seeing seemingly higher latency but your winMTR looks clean as a whistle.

This is a situation that gets pretty involved - too involved to handle in a thread with a bunch of different users having similar issues. We also probably need information we prefer to not take over the forums, so I actually recommend you submit a ticket in this case. Here's what our tech team will need to help diagnose the problem:

1. Links to your post and this post in the description
    2. Information on your router and modem's make and model(s)
    3. Your PC's system files

They can use all that to check into this some more.
As for Metal and the rest,

We're still curious to look into this, just in case there is something going on. We do need those winMTR tests, however. If you can also get screenshots of your network graph when you're having bad spikes, that can help me narrow things down.

Right now I'm convinced that you're each having slightly different issues, but we can take a look into them together and see if maybe there's some kind of pattern we can help with on our end. If not, I'm at least happy to help get as many of you as possible the resources you need to get your ping back to normal.
02/13/2018 02:39 PMPosted by Drakuloth
As for Metal and the rest,

We're still curious to look into this, just in case there is something going on. We do need [url="https://battle.net/support/article/27780"]those winMTR tests[/url], however. If you can also get screenshots of your [url="https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/37007"]network graph[/url] when you're having bad spikes, that can help me narrow things down.

Right now I'm convinced that you're each having slightly different issues, but we can take a look into them together and see if maybe there's some kind of pattern we can help with on our end. If not, I'm at least happy to help get as many of you as possible the resources you need to get your ping back to normal.

i use my own ip address correct? i ran a test last nightbut i completely forgot about it and went to sleep after
02/13/2018 02:36 PMPosted by Drakuloth
Heya strych9!

Thanks for getting back to us with that information. That WinMTR test you ran is actually nearly entirely clear. Interestingly, however, your ping time seems to be due to some kind of packet sending issue. Based on that clean WinMTR, we're probably looking at packet shaping which is usually done by a router or network manager program on your PC.

If you go over that video when the latency starts to climb and look at the bottom of the test, you'll see that your "Packet Loss Out" numbers are climbing. This eventually drops to 0 and your average ping quickly drops back to a more manageable 40-ish-ms. There's a second part of that game that climbs, and unfortunately (or fortunately for your team) you were busy harassing with tracer so couldn't get more data when it happened. I would bet, however, you'd see the same loss out numbers when it climbs.

Unfortunately your download and upload 'speed' are meaningless in this situation because more frequently this is a bandwidth type issue or something weird that is going on with a program that handles Quality of Service on your LAN or PC.

When we aren't receiving your packets, we have to fill in the blanks or re request them which creates an artificial delay, which is why you're seeing seemingly higher latency but your winMTR looks clean as a whistle.

This is a situation that gets pretty involved - too involved to handle in a thread with a bunch of different users having similar issues. We also probably need information we prefer to not take over the forums, so I actually recommend you [url="https://us.battle.net/support/en/help/product/overwatch/907/1093/solution?utm_source=internal-TechForum&utm_medium=posting&utm_campaign=BlizzardCS&utm_content=contact"]submit a ticket[/url] in this case. Here's what our tech team will need to help diagnose the problem:

3. Your PC's [url="https://battle.net/support/article/12988"]system files[/url]

I appreciate the response and will most certainly submit a ticket if that helps out the thousands that are impacted by this.

I detect a few hints of 'this is still a 'you' problem' in your response. I have made it a practice that every match I ask everyone to turn on their ping stats. You should be aware, that not only is this impacting every person in-game (east coast from what I can tell) that everyone's pings rise and drop at the exact same time. This is happening every single game, every single night, to every single person.

Keep in mind - this has already started to reach critical mass as far as bad PR goes... gaming sites are starting to pick this up - you have your own professional players complaining.

I'm sure you know who xQc is right? Here is a clip of them talking about this exact same issue:

https://youtu.be/ptA0OtFF9Go?t=33s

Again - I apologize for coming off rude, I know you are trying to help - but your answer is... disappointing if I am reading it correctly - this implication that these are individual issues and that there is some load balancing issue with some software on my computer?...

IT 101... if it is impacting one user... it is end user... if the entire office is down - let's just say - it's not the end user.
02/13/2018 02:36 PMPosted by Drakuloth
Heya strych9!

This is a situation that gets pretty involved - too involved to handle in a thread with a bunch of different users having similar issues. We also probably need information we prefer to not take over the forums, so I actually recommend you [url="https://us.battle.net/support/en/help/product/overwatch/907/1093/solution?utm_source=internal-TechForum&utm_medium=posting&utm_campaign=BlizzardCS&utm_content=contact"]submit a ticket[/url] in this case. Here's what our tech team will need to help diagnose the problem:

3. Your PC's [url="https://battle.net/support/article/12988"]system files[/url]

I also appreciate your response but, NO. I will also continue to put results up as I see them but from what I'm seeing this isn't on our end.
Yes it may be tricky and difficult to identify but it's most definitely on your end.

From what I can see strych9 lives in FL. I live in CT we have the exact same issue. That is my issue to a T. If the game puts me on ORD1 I will also post a vid but lately I can only get LAX1 which is weird because that's definitely farther.

As I have said in a previous post I work for a cable company. I have verified it is not on my end and have even been in contact with our network engineers and my node is clear it isn't on my end so don't try to pawn off as a isp issue.

While playing I also keep a continuous ping going to google.com and my ping stays constant while yours gives us the "artificial high ping"
Hey again all/strych9,

Out of curiosity, is this happening just on the ord1 server, or on multiple servers? We acknowledge that there have been a large number of reports of this, but as of yet the problem doesn't seem to be the servers themselves. That is the problem we're running into here. We need tests so we can find the common denominator, because it's not all users having issues. If it's ord1 giving issues,
we're tracking that at Bill Warnecke's post. Ultimately, wherever our players put the tests, we still need the information we're requesting to help.

We acknowledge the possibility that it's an us issue, and if that is the case we will fix it ASAP. I obviously appreciate the reports, but unless we get the data we need from multiple players there's not going to be much we can do about it. Right now I have a grand total of one test in this thread. If nothing else, the winMTRs will help us rule out the path to our servers. At best we'll see common nodes and perhaps be able to pinpoint why some of our players are having problems.

We want to help figure this out, but the longer we go without the information we're requesting, the longer that process will take.

Metal

The IP you want to use is going to be in the network graph (You bring this up with Ctrl+Shift+N while playing.) More information on that tool was linked in the last post. You'll see a server in brackets (possibly [ord1]?) followed by numbers in this format: XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX:YYYYY

The IP you run the test to will be the numbers before the colon. If you can also take a screenshot of the network graph while the lag spikes are bad, upload it somewhere, and link it here, I can see if you also seem to be getting loss out spikes or something like that which would match what strych9 is seeing here.
the server of my region is absolutely wasted, (sae1) so i always get redirected to the usa ones.
after the previous patch, at last, my ping was finally somehow close to playable (139 ms) but after the current patch it has gone back to 200 ms.
this game hates me, sometimes i regret buying it knowing my experience is by far inferior solely because the developers only seem to care about korea and usa :'/
its probably not true, but ive seen other people get a similar impression as well.
edit: after checking a little, ive noticed that the game keeps redirecting me to ord1, instead of lax1.
oddly enough in previous patches lax1 still gave me lag, yet a few days ago lax1 gave me 130 ms.
but after this patch im stuck again with the hell known was ord1. help. im scared that the ping fix may also be gone for lax1... and its not my isp.
all of this started again with the newer patch
02/13/2018 05:20 PMPosted by Drakuloth
Hey again all/strych9,

Out of curiosity, is this happening just on the ord1 server, or on multiple servers? We acknowledge that there have been a large number of reports of this, but as of yet the problem doesn't seem to be the servers themselves. That is the problem we're running into here. We need tests so we can find the common denominator, because it's not all users having issues. If it's ord1 giving issues,
we're tracking that at [url="https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20761817350?page=2#post-29"]Bill Warnecke's post[/url]. Ultimately, wherever our players put the tests, we still need the information we're requesting to help.

We acknowledge the possibility that it's an us issue, and if that is the case we will fix it ASAP. I obviously appreciate the reports, but unless we get the data we need from multiple players there's not going to be much we can do about it. Right now I have a grand total of one test in this thread. If nothing else, the winMTRs will help us rule out the path to our servers. At best we'll see common nodes and perhaps be able to pinpoint why some of our players are having problems.

We want to help figure this out, but the longer we go without the information we're requesting, the longer that process will take.

Metal

The IP you want to use is going to be in the network graph (You bring this up with Ctrl+Shift+N while playing.) More information on that tool was linked in the last post. You'll see a server in brackets (possibly [ord1]?) followed by numbers in this format: XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX:YYYYY

The IP you run the test to will be the numbers before the colon. If you can also take a screenshot of the network graph while the lag spikes are bad, upload it somewhere, and link it here, I can see if you also seem to be getting loss out spikes or something like that which would match what strych9 is seeing here.

yes, ord1
Hey again all/strych9,

we're tracking that at [url="https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20761817350?page=2#post-29"]Bill Warnecke's post[/url]. Ultimately, wherever our players put the tests, we still need the information we're requesting to help.

Metal

Hey again all/strych9,

Metal

Ord1 here as well. Same ping problems everyone else is having for me and my wife. Peak times. 20ms jumping to 85 and back down.
|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| WinMTR statistics |
| Host - % | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |
|------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|
| openrg.home - 0 | 711 | 711 | 0 | 0 | 6 | 0 |
| No response from host - 100 | 142 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |
| 67.59.249.233 - 0 | 711 | 711 | 6 | 10 | 43 | 12 |
| ool-4353e809.dyn.optonline.net - 0 | 711 | 711 | 7 | 11 | 28 | 10 |
| 64.15.8.63 - 0 | 711 | 711 | 6 | 10 | 32 | 9 |
| 64.15.1.98 - 0 | 711 | 711 | 7 | 11 | 32 | 17 |
|be2556.rcr11.b001587-1.jfk04.atlas.cogentco.com - 0 | 711 | 711 | 9 | 12 | 31 | 12 |
| 38.88.194.29 - 0 | 711 | 711 | 8 | 12 | 32 | 12 |
| ae1-br01-eqny8.blizzardonline.net - 0 | 711 | 711 | 8 | 14 | 228 | 37 |
|________________________________________________|______|______|______|______|______|______|
WinMTR v0.92 GPL V2 by Appnor MSP - Fully Managed Hosting & Cloud Provider

i have no idea if my ping spiked here or not, but i'll post another one if it does
uploading vid now will add link once completed. ord1
server i.p 24.105.44.118
|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| WinMTR statistics |

|------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|

| 10.0.0.1 - 0 | 506 | 506 | 1 | 10 | 27 | 9 |

| 96.120.66.165 - 0 | 506 | 506 | 7 | 10 | 26 | 8 |

| 162.151.219.13 - 0 | 506 | 506 | 7 | 11 | 24 | 9 |

|be-307-ar01.chartford.ct.hartford.comcast.net - 0 | 506 | 506 | 10 | 13 | 25 | 12 |

| be-2-ar01.needham.ma.boston.comcast.net - 1 | 502 | 501 | 0 | 17 | 26 | 19 |

|be-7015-cr02.newyork.ny.ibone.comcast.net - 1 | 502 | 501 | 0 | 24 | 35 | 21 |

|be-10396-pe01.60hudson.ny.ibone.comcast.net - 0 | 506 | 506 | 20 | 23 | 50 | 26 |

| 173.167.57.150 - 0 | 506 | 506 | 19 | 23 | 44 | 44 |

| ae1-br01-eqny8.blizzardonline.net - 0 | 506 | 506 | 20 | 26 | 217 | 24 |

| No response from host - 100 | 101 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |

|________________________________________________|______|______|______|______|______|______|

p.s guys use "code blocks" icon to make easier to read when putting results in.
this is what opening a ticket got me... they responded with:

"Restart your computer to resolve problems caused by programs and services running in the background."

02/13/2018 06:12 PMPosted by Strike
uploading vid now will add link once completed. ord1
server i.p 24.105.44.118

| WinMTR statistics |

| 10.0.0.1 - 0 | 506 | 506 | 1 | 10 | 27 | 9 |

| 96.120.66.165 - 0 | 506 | 506 | 7 | 10 | 26 | 8 |

| 162.151.219.13 - 0 | 506 | 506 | 7 | 11 | 24 | 9 |

|be-307-ar01.chartford.ct.hartford.comcast.net - 0 | 506 | 506 | 10 | 13 | 25 | 12 |

| be-2-ar01.needham.ma.boston.comcast.net - 1 | 502 | 501 | 0 | 17 | 26 | 19 |

|be-7015-cr02.newyork.ny.ibone.comcast.net - 1 | 502 | 501 | 0 | 24 | 35 | 21 |

|be-10396-pe01.60hudson.ny.ibone.comcast.net - 0 | 506 | 506 | 20 | 23 | 50 | 26 |

| 173.167.57.150 - 0 | 506 | 506 | 19 | 23 | 44 | 44 |

| ae1-br01-eqny8.blizzardonline.net - 0 | 506 | 506 | 20 | 26 | 217 | 24 |

p.s guys use "code blocks" icon to make easier to read when putting results in.

didn't realize I was posting on alt but here is you tube info
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2i51-gHHKE&feature=youtu.be

Around 4 mins you can see it clearly climbing.
02/13/2018 06:14 PMPosted by strych9
this is what opening a ticket got me... they responded with:

"Restart your computer to resolve problems caused by programs and services running in the background."

and now you see why i got frustrated with them before, i wanted you to see exactly what i already knew they were going to do.

They clearly do not know what they are doing
02/13/2018 05:21 PMPosted by sodartic
the server of my region is absolutely wasted, (sae1) so i always get redirected to the usa ones.
after the previous patch, at last, my ping was finally somehow close to playable (139 ms) but after the current patch it has gone back to 200 ms.
this game hates me, sometimes i regret buying it knowing my experience is by far inferior solely because the developers only seem to care about korea and usa :'/
its probably not true, but ive seen other people get a similar impression as well.
edit: after checking a little, ive noticed that the game keeps redirecting me to ord1, instead of lax1.
oddly enough in previous patches lax1 still gave me lag, yet a few days ago lax1 gave me 130 ms.
but after this patch im stuck again with the hell known was ord1. help. im scared that the ping fix may also be gone for lax1... and its not my isp.
all of this started again with the newer patch

I am just going to tell you that they do not hate Korea and the USA, at least USA since i am having these problems and i have seen many live streams have this issue who also live in the US.
I haven't had issues for 20+ days, but ord1 has been a mess for me since the 2/8 update. I havene't had any issues when I've been routed to lax1 in arcade mode, however. On lax1, I have a higher, but stable connection. Is there any update on this? I have ATT Gigabit playing from FL. I posted my WinMTR in the other thread.