PING ISSUES 20 days and counting

Technical Support
I can confirm this is a blizzard issue. I've never had issues with ping until 2 patches ago. I've tested this on two seperate ISPs Shaw and Telus in Alberta, with the exact same results. My pings are 44ms and 55ms respectively. When the issue happens which is about every 5-10s depending on the game it jumps up anywhere between 20ms and 100ms. Its gone as high as 150ms on both connections.

And like I said the issue happened immediately when the patch hit. There's a lot of issues with Overwatch at the time being that are being overlooked (FPS issues, menu is locked at 60fps, input lag - though i believe one of the more recent patches may have fixed my input lag), I sincerely hope this isn't one of them. Nice to see some blue posts that genuinely seem to want to help.

02/13/2018 05:20 PMPosted by Drakuloth
Hey again all/strych9,

Out of curiosity, is this happening just on the ord1 server, or on multiple servers? We acknowledge that there have been a large number of reports of this, but as of yet the problem doesn't seem to be the servers themselves. That is the problem we're running into here. We need tests so we can find the common denominator, because it's not all users having issues. If it's ord1 giving issues,
we're tracking that at [url="https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20761817350?page=2#post-29"]Bill Warnecke's post[/url]. Ultimately, wherever our players put the tests, we still need the information we're requesting to help.

We acknowledge the possibility that it's an us issue, and if that is the case we will fix it ASAP. I obviously appreciate the reports, but unless we get the data we need from multiple players there's not going to be much we can do about it. Right now I have a grand total of one test in this thread. If nothing else, the winMTRs will help us rule out the path to our servers. At best we'll see common nodes and perhaps be able to pinpoint why some of our players are having problems.

We want to help figure this out, but the longer we go without the information we're requesting, the longer that process will take.

Metal

The IP you want to use is going to be in the network graph (You bring this up with Ctrl+Shift+N while playing.) More information on that tool was linked in the last post. You'll see a server in brackets (possibly [ord1]?) followed by numbers in this format: XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX:YYYYY

The IP you run the test to will be the numbers before the colon. If you can also take a screenshot of the network graph while the lag spikes are bad, upload it somewhere, and link it here, I can see if you also seem to be getting loss out spikes or something like that which would match what strych9 is seeing here.

This is happening to me on the Ord1 server. So I think you're on the right track. The fluctuations happen in any game mode I've played, including training grounds.

EDIT: I also wanted to note that any testing done on my end comes out clean. No ping jumps, no packet loss, etc. It only happens in game, and only in Overwatch. All my other games are completely stable.
Hey again strych9,

I checked into that issue, and it looks like what happened was that you put in a callback ticket and didn't answer the call. As a result, you received some basic troubleshooting steps since we weren't able to talk with you live. If you want to get directly in touch with the tech escalations group, you want to put in a normal ticket instead.

That said, that gave me some of the information I was curious about. Based on all the info I've got, it's definitely possible that the path to ord1 itself has some kind of congestion during prime time or something, but it also looks like you do have a program which performs packet shaping on your PC - killer network manager.

I'm curious if updating this program and turning off all forms of bandwidth control on the Killer Control Center helps in the slightest. I'd also like to know what times of day and time zone you're seeing the problem in (I did some test playing throughout the day on ord1 server and didn't see it myself.)
Strife,

You're also showing some signs of packet loss on the way out to our servers. Can you email a text copy of your msinfo file to the email address techinfo@blizzard.com for me? You can use the subject Attn: Drakuloth - ORD1 Latency Issues for that. I'll give it a peek and see if there are any similarities between yourself and strych9 or any of our other users having problems.

If you can also let me know what times of day/time zones you see it I'll try to reproduce it on my end as well.
02/13/2018 08:13 PMPosted by Drakuloth
Strife,

You're also showing some signs of packet loss on the way out to our servers. Can you email a [url="https://battle.net/support/article/12988"]text copy of your msinfo file[/url] to the email address techinfo@blizzard.com for me? You can use the subject Attn: Drakuloth - ORD1 Latency Issues for that. I'll give it a peek and see if there are any similarities between yourself and strych9 or any of our other users having problems.

If you can also let me know what times of day/time zones you see it I'll try to reproduce it on my end as well.

I would be more then happy to. The issue does not seem to occur till around 8pm est I'll try and get you that info some time tomorrow.
I detect a few hints of 'this is still a 'you' problem' in your response.

your answer is... disappointing if I am reading it correctly - this implication that these are individual issues and that there is some load balancing issue with some software on my computer?...

Exactly. This guy tries to help but come on. First he's completely focused on their servers rather than considering the route as well, this after there was an acute problem with the route a few weeks ago that was disconnecting players and forced them to reroute around a node (...maybe he didn't work that day and there's zero communication in that workplace?), and now he's clearly implying it's a mundane issue with your particular system when the number of people affected is abnormal to say the least and the problem extremely likely started after you already had the Killer Network application or process running (it comes with motherboards for frick's sake, we didn't just install these applications last month or coincidentally have unique local issues pop up... good God, man). Effort is one thing, but you've got to be kidding me at some point. Guess I'm fortunate I'm busy at prime time during the week. Watching this is almost surreal though. Like how much money do these people need to make to have truly competent support? Sacrifice a few of those toys in your building at the altar of spending money on worthwhile things. Some of us will buy that nonsense so you can afford more important things.

And if you're curious Drakuloth, I don't have the Killer Network and am not using whatever came with my motherboard. Must be something else you can pull from that playbook though. Here's some consumer-minded advice by the way. Something to help you bs through things better. If all you're trained to do is this, keep your cards closer to your chest. Suggest this stuff more openly only after you've found some good evidence for it. Until then, guide the customer through this predetermined wasteful maze. Let's look at this closer, rather than Ooo, it's sort of kind of probably this based on it merely being on your computer (when in reality it very much probably isn't this).
02/13/2018 10:19 PMPosted by turtle
I detect a few hints of 'this is still a 'you' problem' in your response.

your answer is... disappointing if I am reading it correctly - this implication that these are individual issues and that there is some load balancing issue with some software on my computer?...

Exactly. This guy tries to help but come on. First he's completely focused on their servers rather than considering the route as well, this after there was an acute problem with the route a few weeks ago that was disconnecting players and forced them to reroute around a node (...maybe he didn't work that day and there's zero communication in that workplace?), and now he's clearly implying it's a mundane issue with your particular system when the number of people affected is abnormal to say the least and the problem extremely likely started after you already had the Killer Network application or process running (it comes with motherboards for frick's sake, we didn't just install these applications last month or coincidentally have unique local issues pop up... good God, man). Effort is one thing, but you've got to be kidding me at some point. Guess I'm fortunate I'm busy at prime time during the week. Watching this is almost surreal though. Like how much money do these people need to make to have truly competent support? Sacrifice a few of those toys in your building at the altar of spending money on worthwhile things. Some of us will buy that nonsense so you can afford more important things.

And if you're curious Drakuloth, I don't have the Killer Network and am not using whatever came with my motherboard. Must be something else you can pull from that playbook though.

I completely agree with you, although i would like to point out that the more money these people make the less likely they are going to actually suggest something likely.

You would never of seen anything like this before overwatch or heroes of the storm was even in beta testing. It is almost like they took a play out of Bungie's PlayBook with this one,(Damn right i went there). Either way i think its time to go back to blizzards old play book on how to deal with issues like this that continue to pop up.
I think some issues are just too big to brush aside. If this continues I'm more inclined to think they'll sooner or later arrive at something. In the meantime though, good golly. I'm just fortunate I'm away from the computer on weeknight evenings in prime time.
good thing i do not play much overwatch for being new last fall. and i am also glad that i went threw all the steps the so called "support" told me to go threw months ago, although i am not too inclined to do it again because my ISP was not too happy with me last year calling them to the house just to tell me nothing is wrong anywhere.
And for the record, Drakuloth is their most helpful agent I guess it is on the forum. He at least engages. Their other people take one step and probably have that can't touch me attitude to deal with the rest. What a wonderful way to go through life.
02/13/2018 10:33 PMPosted by turtle
And for the record, Drakuloth is their most helpful agent I guess it is on the forum. He at least engages. Their other people take one step and probably have that can't touch me attitude to deal with the rest. What a wonderful way to go through life.

I believe it was more like he was put up to being the only one to engage with us because he is the only one that continues to try and fails miserably as BSing us
No, he's honest. Just trying to do his job. The problem is he needs more support too.
i hate being that guy, but he would have more support if he had the knowledge and know-how to do his job better in order to get that support, instead of acting like he was just some guy brought in off the street without the proper credentials.

But honestly with a situation this big the head of the department needs to be in on this as well, but that would be my opinion
02/12/2018 08:04 AMPosted by Bill Warnecke
Hey folks, we're investigating these reports.

If you're able to post the results of a [url="https://battle.net/support/article/27780"]WinMTR test[/url] while the problems are actively happening and let us know what IP address you see in the top left of the netgraph (ctrl-shift-N on PC)?

Lead Engineer there. If you're playing during peak times and experiencing this problem post a WinMTR.
02/13/2018 10:49 PMPosted by turtle
02/12/2018 08:04 AMPosted by Bill Warnecke
Hey folks, we're investigating these reports.

If you're able to post the results of a [url="https://battle.net/support/article/27780"]WinMTR test[/url] while the problems are actively happening and let us know what IP address you see in the top left of the netgraph (ctrl-shift-N on PC)?

Lead Engineer there. If you're playing during peak times and experiencing this problem post a WinMTR.

i have been threw these before, and they do not help in finding where the problem lies since i am just told it has to do with my ISP.

Did the same song and dance for a month and a half straight with riot games during preseason 8 last fall, it ended badly for the support talking to me, his superior fired him and apologized because my ISP for that month and a half that they were having problems receiving packets that the support agent clearly never looked into.

If others want to go threw hoops that would be their problem, but i wont do it again and be made a fool.
They probably can't just tell you to go to your ISP in this instance. Furthermore, people have already done that and their ISPs are for the most part reporting that things are clear. With enough people experiencing issues Blizzard are forced into action. Even with WinMTRs possibly revealing nothing, that narrows things down.

02/13/2018 10:53 PMPosted by Balthizar
Did the same song and dance for a month and a half straight with riot games during preseason 8 last fall, it ended badly for the support talking to me, his superior fired him and apologized because my ISP for that month and a half that they were having problems receiving packets that the support agent clearly never looked into.

You're doing us a favor, tiger.
02/13/2018 08:08 PMPosted by Drakuloth
Hey again strych9,

I checked into that issue, and it looks like what happened was that you put in a callback ticket and didn't answer the call. As a result, you received some basic troubleshooting steps since we weren't able to talk with you live. If you want to get directly in touch with the tech escalations group, you want to put in a normal ticket instead.

That said, that gave me some of the information I was curious about. Based on all the info I've got, it's definitely possible that the path to ord1 itself has some kind of congestion during prime time or something, but it also looks like you do have a program which performs packet shaping on your PC - killer network manager.

I'm curious if [url="https://www.killernetworking.com/driver-downloads/category/killer-suite"]updating this program[/url] and turning off all forms of bandwidth control on the Killer Control Center helps in the slightest. I'd also like to know what times of day and time zone you're seeing the problem in (I did some test playing throughout the day on ord1 server and didn't see it myself.)

Hey Drakuloth - it actually gave me another opportunity to get even more frustrated - when I saw the 'callback' option, I was like 'wow that is sorta cool'. I never received a phone call. I sat on my computer playing overwatch with my phone in front of me - call never came (said call-back was 5-10 minutes). After about an hour with no phone call, I decided to check the ticket again and then found that generic 'hey you didnt answer, restart your computer' ... :(

I have already tried disabling Killer Network service - makes no difference.

However, this may be anecdotal - but the last 3 nights I have been writing some stuff down. Normally I get home around 6PMEST and dont really get to play until around 9EST. This last week I have been home early every night, so I start gaming around 6PMEST.

During the day my pings to ord1 are perfectly fine (well, they are 20ms higher then they used to be, but I can live with a 40ms ping). Point is, during the day they do NOT fluctuate. when I write this stuff down in my notes, I have noticed the last 3 consecutive nights, the second it turns 8PM EST - pings immediately start to fluctuate.
02/13/2018 08:08 PMPosted by Drakuloth
it's definitely possible that the path to ord1 itself has some kind of congestion during prime time or something

I think it's this. Ping spikes only happen from 6pm to 10pm CST. (for me) ord1
Tech said I do have noise on my line but my house is fine. They said line maintenance will be done and I would receive a call. No call yet, but the hop it lags on at night is with my ISP. And I've contacted them, I just need to wait now. I'm in Limbo until they call me.
02/14/2018 03:19 AMPosted by strych9
During the day my pings to ord1 are perfectly fine

This
Any updates from Blizzard tech support? How does the tech support work - i'd have to imagine there are some senior level Blizzard network engineers or WAN team that could EASILY identify and solve the issue in no time.

Desktop troubleshooting via a forum is not the solution here..
Today was more stable, but on a few game servers we still saw the ping climbing and dropping thing. There's a single step in my personal chain that adds 30ms to my ping consistently, so part of my issue MIGHT be my ISP artificially adding ping to my connection to Overwatch (and not for other games). But they (Charter/Spectrum) have been doing that for a year now, and this ping climbing thing is new.

I have no 3rd party programs or network boosters that re-route my connection.
02/14/2018 06:35 PMPosted by Maelstrøm
There's a single step in my personal chain that adds 30ms to my ping consistently, so part of my issue MIGHT be my ISP artificially adding ping to my connection to Overwatch (and not for other games).

Even though i use the same ISP as you, i can safely assume it is not the ISP at fault since there are even more players with verizon or Google Fiber or a different ISP entirely that are having the same issue. So unless you are saying the all the ISP's on the eastern coast are owned and operated by the same person/s i would disagree to this having any issue whatsoever in the High ping problem that mostly the eastern coast NA is experiencing.