CTF Restricted Abilities

General Discussion
Just thought I'd make this thread to let people know ahead of time what to expect. Most people might not realize that instant flag pick-up and abilities conditionally dropping the flag are already available as options in custom games. Assuming the upcoming CTF mode uses these same restrictions, these will be the restricted abilities:
  • Doomfist: Seismic Slam, Rocket Punch(on charge-up, not release), and Meteor Strike (it surprised me that Rising Uppercut does not, but it is more vertical than horizontal mobility)
  • Genji: Swift Strike
  • Pharah: Jump Jet
  • Reaper: Shadow Step and Wraith Form
  • Soldier: 76: Sprint
  • Sombra: Translocator and Thermoptic Camo
  • Tracer: Blink and Recall
  • Mei: Cryo-Freeze
  • Widowmaker: Grappling Hook
  • D.Va: Boosters
  • Reinhardt: Charge
  • Winston: Jump Pack
  • Mercy: Guardian Angel and Valkyrie
  • Moira: Fade
  • Zenyetta: Transcendance
  • Most of this is not really surprising. It's worth noting that, under the current custom game options, these do not disable passive abilities. Even more noteworthy is that Junkrat's Concussion Mines do not drop the flag, probably because the game sees it as an attack rather than mobility.
    Unless these settings get tweaked prior to Year of the Dog, I'm predicting a lot of Genji use(because Cyber-Agility is still usable) and Junkrat use(because Concussion Mine is still usable).
    Yeah cheese meta will reign supreme. Top 500 will be filled with torb and sym mains

Edit: Why the downvotes, it’s actually a good thing. Those two heroes deserve attention.
    Lucio's going to be Meta, babysitting anyone with the Flag for the Speedboost.
    02/06/2018 06:35 PMPosted by Safryz
    Yeah cheese meta will reign supreme. Top 500 will be filled with torb and sym mains

To be fair, they are very undermined in normal competitive. Just let the turret mains shine for a little bit in this one seasonal gamemode. You can still play soldier 76 if you want. No one will hate on you. :)
    I find it odd that Soldier's sprint drops the flag but not Lucio's E speed boost. Maybe because he's on skates? I don't know, but it's a given Lucio will be a must-pick regardless.

Edit: E now drops the flag.
    02/06/2018 06:38 PMPosted by GreenMatius

To be fair, they are very undermined in normal competitive. Just let the turret mains shine for a little bit in this one seasonal gamemode. You can still play soldier 76 if you want. No one will hate on you. :)

I’m not mad, I’m just happy that these guys can have fun playing their favorite heroes in a mode that people will actually respect them in.
    YAS for once I can use Torb with the gold weapon I got! (I don’t actually main Torb, though)
    What about Pharah? I assume she can still concussion blast to move horizontally similarly to Junkrat.
    02/06/2018 06:43 PMPosted by TheSheriff
    What about Pharah? I assume she can still concussion blast to move horizontally similarly to Junkrat.

Since Jets are her Passive, it's fair game.

I think Jump Jet drops it, though.
    02/06/2018 06:43 PMPosted by TheSheriff

Depend on the map, i dont think she can get far with just her passice and most allies cannot keep up with her to pick up the flag if she drops it
    McCree combat roll OP please make it restricted
    What about Reaper's Teleport? And Mercy's Guardian Angel? Pharah's Jump Jet?
    Why can't we just have no restrictions on it? Good job making a bunch of hero kits pointless now.
    Mercy might actually be one of the best heroes for this if her team helps her.
    Think you forgot junks mines.
    02/06/2018 06:50 PMPosted by Witch
    What about Reaper's Teleport? And Mercy's Guardian Angel? Pharah's Jump Jet?
    I forgot about those, I'll edit the OP to add them.
    02/06/2018 06:52 PMPosted by Crusher48
    Why can't we just have no restrictions on it? Good job making a bunch of hero kits pointless now.

I think this mode encourage teamwork and protecting the one who capture the flag and also giving hero like torb and symm a chance to be more usable in comp without people flaming at them.

I play lots of ctf on custom and its always the tracer/winston/sombra/pharah/dva soloing the flag like its nothing. The team wont even follow up because its a guaranteed catch. now everyone is balance and fair to have a chance of retreiving the flag so its a welcome change.
    Well crap if GA is going to be disabled i'm picking sym.
    Even more noteworthy is that Junkrat's Concussion Mines do not drop the flag, probably because the game sees it as an attack rather than mobility.

Well, think about it: If you're Junkrat and have the flag and use the mine to kill someone without it moving you at all, would it be fair if you dropped the flag? You used the mine as a purely damage-dealing ability.
    Tbh, I'm surprised it took so long for CTF to go Competitive. It's just a game mode where both teams are Defence, and we already have a Double-Attack mode (i.e. Control) so why not?

Edit: Why the downvotes, it’s actually a good thing. Those two heroes deserve attention.

Yes thank you! It's about time Symmetra players got something.