My thoughts on why Moira seems OP

General Discussion
1st off, before you down vote Moira is in no way, shape or form overpowered.

She only seems that way, Why?

Simply she had little to no competition in the main support role.

Why is that? It's because Ana wasn't buffed enough and Mercy was nerfed too much.

Moira is only "overpowered" because they other main healers are underpowered/ victims of meta.

And cause some less than Shadder2k Genji players can't kill her, and don't know what switching to Widowmaker, McCree or Roadhog is.

To quote another poster "Moira was reverse power creeped"

The main issue with supports in this game STILL PERSISTS. One is always significantly better than the others, via them being overpowered, and in Moira's cause the competition being underpowered.
Ana needs something, but not damage increase.
02/08/2018 06:42 AMPosted by TheAkutsu

Agreed. & One instant res in Valk wouldn't re-overpower Mercy.

I demand for a minor Ana buff.
02/08/2018 06:47 AMPosted by Boostio

Agreed. & One instant res in Valk wouldn't re-overpower Mercy.

I was thinking this to. Just allow mercy to instant res during valk if she didn’t use it before.
Her balls have quite little counter play too. You either need a Dva to eat it up, or get a Genji to defelct (which is not gonna occur as much as Dav eating it) The best thing to do is to avoid it, but if its through a choke you're going to have to deal with it.

Her balls are so annoying.
02/08/2018 06:36 AMPosted by Boostio
To quote another poster "Moira was reverse power creeped"

I said something like this a little while ago. The entire Support class except her has been subject to power seep, losing impact and effectiveness over a string of constant nerfs, many more than any buffs ever given. Moira only feels powerful because all other options feel worse to play now. In the first year of Overwatch she would have been perfect, if a bit overshadowed like old, balanced Mercy was.
Ana was overnerfed as well as the characters she worked best with being changed or nerfed as well. Lucio, Roadhog, D.va, and Zarya have all had changes. Ana has remained the same since she came out other than nerfs.

Mercy's ult was made TOO weak; what it offers is very little to the overall match. Why risk my support being in the sky if the enemy has any hitscan? What does valk offer me that Zen doesn't in his base kit? Mercy's base KIT is fun and powerful, but her ult is so lack lustre now that it feels like something you use as soon as you get it to press buttons.

Lucio has been mobility power creeped. The only new characters added to the game that didn't have mobility were Orisa and Ana; everyone else had some baked in OR was buffed (Junkrat and Sombra). Lucio was also hurt by the global ult change that means the entire thing is used when Q is pressed. Lucio is usually right in the thick of things after the rework so it is MUCH more risky to use a cast timed ult compared to someone like Zen whos is instant.

Leaving Moira and Zen as the only balanced supports but they look SO much more powerful than the rest because they have been power seeped to be this way. Moira has been out since November with 0 changes, and is now the best support. Zen hasn't had ANY buffs to his kit (Just QOL changes) in almost a year. How can two characters who have been around for MONTHS suddenly become OP when their main competitors have been nerfed patch after patch, or left untouched for a year.

Agreed.

She needs something but I can’t put my finger on it.

Maybe some sort of mobility buff.
Agreed
Cause Pros haven't shown us a counter strategy yet that we can mimic.
It's probably too late. Prepare for months and months of Moira-meta and/or her getting nerfed hard.

Their laundry list of characters they've announced that theyre working on is already 6 characters long, and it takes them months to change even one hero.

Luckily I've moved on to Monster Hunter but I hope for the sake of remaining players that they sort their characters out sooner rather than later
02/08/2018 07:18 AMPosted by Snorlax
It's probably too late. Prepare for months and months of Moira-meta and/or her getting nerfed hard.

Their laundry list of characters they've announced that theyre working on is already 6 characters long, and it takes them months to change even one hero.

Luckily I've moved on to Monster Hunter but I hope for the sake of remaining players that they sort their characters out sooner rather than later

I've heard good things about Monster Hunter, would you recommend it?
02/08/2018 06:53 AMPosted by UpARayBan
Her balls have quite little counter play too. You either need a Dva to eat it up, or get a Genji to defelct (which is not gonna occur as much as Dav eating it) The best thing to do is to avoid it, but if its through a choke you're going to have to deal with it.

Her balls are so annoying.

Even the orb is fine. You don’t even need Dva to eat it or Genji to deflect it. If you are grouped up with your team then it does only a small amount of damage to multiple people which is easily healed and gives your healers ult charge. If you have any sort of mobility they are easy to avoid and if you have any sort of self sustain it doesn’t even matter if you get tickled by it. Even if you don’t have mobility it follows a predictable path and moves slow so it’s easy to see coming and avoid.
02/08/2018 07:20 AMPosted by Boostio

I've heard good things about Monster Hunter, would you recommend it?

Prepare for a mini-review wall-of-text:

It's niche and has a learning curve, but I love it. It's one of those games that you start iffy on and grow to love it more and more as you play it and learn all the mechanics, rather than loving it immediately and then getting bored of it after a while.

I'm about 60 hours in and it's easily the best Monster Hunter game, cutting a ton of the tediousness out of the old games.

The gameplay is 70% boss fights, 30% gathering materials to fuel those boss fights. The post-game is considered the "real game" where you master fighting each type of monster, while the main plot is just the tutorial to teach you how to do everything.

It's boss mechanics are actually what inspired Dark Souls boss mechanics, while not being quite as tough, but still challenging (although each of the 14 weapons feel VERY different, whereas most DS weapons feel pretty similar)

Keep in mind, it's not for everyone. If you try to blow through the main story and hit a "wall" (Barroth being a soft "skill check" and Anjanath being a hard "skill check"), you might be discouraged. But overcoming those walls feels great and you have every ability to prepare for it.

If you're new to the series, it's the best jump-in point you could ask for.

Edit: I'll add some criticism so I don't overhype it.
1)The multiplayer is a bit janky and unintuitive, you may have to look up how it works because it's not obvious.
2) Some minor mechanics like target lock have really weird default settings. I don't use the lock-on but if you do you should go into options>camera>target settings>large monsters only.
3) The game barely explains how the kitchen, botanical garden, and bounties/investigations work. Youtube that junk.
02/08/2018 07:13 AMPosted by JellyandJam

Agreed.

She needs something but I can’t put my finger on it.

Maybe some sort of mobility buff.

Wallclimb! #giveanaclimbinggloves
I think part of the perception of Moira being overpowered simply comes from the nature of her offensive capability. People don't like lock-on weapons, even if Moira's fire does a pitiable amount of damage. The difference between Pharah's 120dps and Symmetra's 120dps, for instance, is that Pharah might hit you with one rocket and then you can escape from her or she misses the follow-up. Symmetra, on the other hand, is likely going to confirm the kill unless she's fighting a tank because her gun locks on.

Moira 'suffers' from her weapon having a high ability to confirm a kill, especially when combined with the orb as it doubles her DPS. People don't like dying in cheesy ways and the range of Moira's beam allows her a lenient amount of follow up to secure a kill.

People just don't realize that Moira is pretty much a free kill around tanks. She has to disengage from combat, die, or be rendered useless by a barrier (minus the orb). The lack of counters (D.Va and Genji) for the orb also doesn't help. I personally don't get why the orb goes through Mei's ice wall, but that's sort of beside the point.

I don't think the perception of her healing is what's overpowered necessarily, I think it's just her ability to confirm a kill that really frustrates people since she's a support and shouldn't be getting kills which seems to be a common perception for some reason.
I think another factor is that her orbs add a chaos element that are new to the support class. The way they bounce around takes some getting used to and sometimes you'll take damage from an orb you thought you dodged (when it hit a wall and came back), they're not as unpredictable as Junkrat's grenades but it's a new element to deal with which makes facing her more frustrating.