Ult. charge should carry over after death in Mystery Heroes.

General Discussion
In regular game modes, the ultimate percentage carries over after a player's death, why not do the same in Mystery Heroes?
This would be unfair as some heroes gain their ultimate faster than others.
A solution to this would be to create a balance between how ultimates charge. If a tank gets to 75% in the time it takes for Sombra to reach 100%, then there would be a +/-25% ultimate charge if you were to get these specific heroes after death.

Or there could just a base -20% to ultimate charge after death to balance out this difference while still allowing you to keep the partial charge you gained with your previous hero.

Having your ultimate charge drop to 0% after death causes some issues.

• First of all, it's just a huge disappointment to lose your entire charge when you've been doing well with a certain hero.

• If the opposing team is surviving/winning, they can easily build their ultimates (especially on defense) while your teams' ultimates consistently drop to 0%. This often results in no way to gain the upper hand by using ultimates, and a good push is usually countered by the enemy team using their ultimates.

• As a more casual/fun game mode, Mystery Heroes allows players to try characters they wouldn't pick in more serious games. Allowing ultimates to carry over would let a player experience a hero to their full extent.

• The fear of losing your ultimate can sometimes lead to players activating theirs right as they get to 100% charge—while this isn't detrimental to gameplay, it can result in players not utilizing their ultimates in the best way.

tl;dr: Mystery Heroes is fun and casual arcade mode. I just think it would be more fun if ultimates carried over as they do in every other playlist—with balance adjustments based on what hero you randomly receive.
But it would still be unfair!
I see that you've never played against a six-stack Symmetra team in No Limits.
02/11/2018 11:54 AMPosted by BierWiser
Or there could just a base -20% to ultimate charge after death to balance out this difference while still allowing you to keep the partial charge you gained with your previous hero.
It should be closer to -50%.
Just no, the mode is fine as it is. Staying alive should be rewarded.
I'm going to disagree for one reason. MH is the best place to learn:
1. To value your life above all else;
2. To not hold on to your ult for too long.
Both of these things are big issues for lower skilled players, including for me. MH strongly incentivises betterment in these areas simply because the punishment for failing at them is so severe.

You're completely right in saying MH is a fun and casual game mode, which is what makes it so suitable for learning some basics. It's mainly what I use it for and I prefer it stayed this way.
02/11/2018 12:23 PMPosted by Araxen
Just no, the mode is fine as it is.
Would you be happy with ultimate charge completely disappearing after death in regular game modes, then? Zarya, for example, would never see an ultimate.
02/11/2018 12:23 PMPosted by Araxen
Staying alive should be rewarded.
Staying alive is rewarded. You build ultimate over time and through healing teammates or damaging enemies. Losing this entire progress is too harsh of a punishment after dying once.
02/11/2018 12:42 PMPosted by Avondale
Both of these things are big issues for lower skilled players
And a good comp is a something that is necessary, too. This is nearly impossible in Mystery Heroes with the randomization. Surviving is definitely something to learn, but it makes it even harder in Mystery Heroes without the right team. Usually, a team that ends up with the good comp will carry the match.

As I said before, the team that is carrying the match are the ones that will build ultimates more easily, so even if the losing team gets some sort of advantage, they are usually destroyed by the ultimates that the winning team has built up.

Quick Play is for the practice. Mystery Heroes is for fun and discovering new heroes. Unless we're arguing that ultimates should never carry over, I think that they should at least carry over in some way in Mystery Heroes.
Or you know, reward those who don't die with an uilt. Those that keep dying don't get an ult.
02/12/2018 09:17 AMPosted by Krojack
Or you know, reward those who don't die with an uilt. Those that keep dying don't get an ult.
Would you say this for every other game mode, too? What if your team doesn't have a healer and the opposing team has—let's say a Mercy, another healer, a Reinhardt, etc.? Is it your fault that your team is dying more often while they build up their ultimates?

You're already rewarded while being alive by having your ultimate charge build up over time and when damaging enemies. Is it fair that you lose all of this progress after dying once? Absolutely nothing should carry over like in every other gametype?
The only thing that MH teachs is, that RNG is a !@#$%

Also people close to 100% ult charge tend to avoid team fights like a plague, turning the game to in a 6vs5

I don't something like that should be rewared
02/12/2018 09:31 AMPosted by Grisnir
Also people close to 100% ult charge tend to avoid team fights like a plague, turning the game to in a 6vs5
I tend to ignore my ultimate charge unless I'm being kept alive by a healer and other teammates. I expect to simply lose it. I think people would be much more okay with dying, occassionally, if they weren't going to lose their entire ultimate charge. That way you won't have people hiding in order to reach 100%.

02/12/2018 09:31 AMPosted by Grisnir
I don't something like that should be rewared
And do you think it should be so harshly punished if you die? No other game mode makes you lose your entire ultimate charge, and it's usually harder to survive with random teams in Mystery Heroes.
02/11/2018 12:42 PMPosted by Avondale
Both of these things are big issues for lower skilled players, including for me. MH strongly incentivises betterment in these areas simply because the punishment for failing at them is so severe.

You're completely right in saying MH is a fun and casual game mode, which is what makes it so suitable for learning some basics. It's mainly what I use it for and I prefer it stayed this way.

Too much mystery Heroes can lead to bad habits. I would personally say deathmatch is better to practice hero mechanics.
1. dying at the right time with the rest of the team is better than surviving being out of position and then not accomplishing anything and dying anyway. ( Pro players suicide to realign spawns.
2. yes holding onto you ult for too long is bad. But panic ulting before death is a common missplay by new players and mystery heroes encourages this as you will lose your ult anyway.
02/12/2018 09:23 AMPosted by BierWiser
02/12/2018 09:17 AMPosted by Krojack
Would you say this for every other game mode, too? What if your team doesn't have a healer and the opposing team has—let's say a Mercy, another healer, a Reinhardt, etc.? Is it your fault that your team is dying more often while they build up their ultimates?

You're already rewarded while being alive by having your ultimate charge build up over time and when damaging enemies. Is it fair that you lose all of this progress after dying once? Absolutely nothing should carry over like in every other gametype?
no I wouldn't because you're the same hero. When in normal mode you change hero you also go back to 0% charge. If you start letting the ult charge not reset in MH mode then some people will start wanting the same in normal mode.