How to improve Tracer accuracy?

General Discussion
My accuracy as Tracer is complete trash. I play at 800 DPI and 6 ingame sensitivity. Any tips?

[Title edited by forum moderator for caps]
What do you have the most issue with? Do you struggle to lock onto a target? Does your crosshair fly off the target as they move around? Are you over or undershooting?
Aim for the neck.
I play on 4 sens maybe lower would be better although I would ease into it! and your dpi seems fine.
Pre-track.
02/13/2018 12:21 AMPosted by da1337Noooob
What do you have the most issue with? Do you struggle to lock onto a target? Does your crosshair fly off the target as they move around? Are you over or undershooting?
I think I struggle with all of those. :(
02/13/2018 12:09 AMPosted by EzClap
My accuracy as Tracer is complete trash. I play at 800 DPI and 6 ingame sensitivity. Any tips?

Drop your sens to 4.5 -- it's what I run. 800dpi/4.5 sens on Tracer, Widow, and Soldier. 5 sens on everything else

It's just fast enough that you can make turns using your entire arm, and just slow enough that you'll be able to aim with precision. Set your accuracy goal to 35-40% weap// 8-10% crit

Finally, change your reticle (if you haven't already). Disable 'show accuracy', and instead set it to the circle by default, and drop the radius of the circle to about 30-40. Having a huge circle as a reticle, or even an adjusting reticle on a hero like Tracer is distracting and unhelpful. You can readily assume that the spread is huge the instant you pull the trigger, so it's best to reduce the reticle size and aim with precision instead of playing a game of fill the circle. I use this trick for all heroes with huge spread circles that are fixed or immediate. (Reaper, D.Va, Roadhog, Doomfist, Tracer, Sombra).

Having a gigantic mouse pad also helps.
You could lower your sensitivity like others are suggesting, but ultimately the majority of your improvement will come from recognizing movement patterns. As Tracer, you're not trying to lock your crosshair directly onto the enemy's head, but rather get into close-range and keep the enemy in the middle of your screen. Aim at the target with your eyes, not your crosshair. What I mean by this is to really pay attention to your opponent, and try to follow their movements with your eyes. It may feel more intuitive at first to line up shots using the crosshair, but it's faster and more efficient to trust your muscle memory to move the center of the screen to where you want it to.

To develop strong muscle memory, I'd suggest checking out some aim trainers. Doing 10-20 minute drills daily helps engrain the sensitivity in your head. Trainers that I recommend are Aimtastic (it's free), Aim Hero, and KovaaK's Aim Trainer. Aim Lab is another trainer on Steam which can help diagnose your bad aiming habits, but it's still early in development.

Your 800/6 is probably fine. Good sensitivities can be found in a huge range. EFFECT uses 800/4.5, Danteh uses 800/6, and Sinatraa uses 500/13 (Equivalent to 800/8), for reference. I'm using 800/2, but I have mouse acceleration to speed it up to 3200/2 in case I need to do a quick flick. You can get good at aiming with a ton of different mouse setups as long as you feel comfortable on it. But if you really wanna mess with sensitivities (I highly suggest to anybody who wants to get better at aiming to try using a super high and a super low sensitivity at least once in their lifetime), I'd suggest taking your current sensitivity and trying this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRFWLJazYYo. Instead of using training bots I would suggest one of the above Aim Trainers though. If you wanna go the extra mile and experiment with mouse acceleration you can try googling "Povohat's Mouse Acceleration Driver" but it'll take even more work to tweak all the settings and test those.
https://osu.ppy.sh
I personally have 800 DPI and 5 in game sens. Other than doing different kinds of aiming drills and playing Aim Hero which builds muscle memory in general, what you can try to do is lower you crosshair's opacity to 0 so you can't see it. Practice in the practice range until you get somewhat used to it and then just go play the hell out of DM FFA as Tracer. Doing this will make you focus more on your opponents movements and how well they are centered on your screen for you to aim and track.
02/13/2018 01:02 AMPosted by eeth

As a warning, Osu is a good way to get the blood flowing in your hands but it will not teach you proper muscle memory in-game. Feel free to use it but it's not a replacement for 3D aim drilling and in-game practice.
02/13/2018 01:06 AMPosted by da1337Noooob
02/13/2018 01:02 AMPosted by eeth

As a warning, Osu is a good way to get the blood flowing in your hands but it will not teach you proper muscle memory in-game. Feel free to use it but it's not a replacement for 3D aim drilling and in-game practice.

I haven't found anything better for warmups and training tracking. Aim Hero is pretty good for reflex training, and Aim Lab is definitely promising, but for tracking warmup I love Osu.
What rank are all of you? (bit of an off topic question) and also should I keep using a green crosshair (no bloom)?
02/13/2018 01:00 AMPosted by da1337Noooob
You could lower your sensitivity like others are suggesting, but ultimately the majority of your improvement will come from recognizing movement patterns. As Tracer, you're not trying to lock your crosshair directly onto the enemy's head, but rather get into close-range and keep the enemy in the middle of your screen. Aim at the target with your eyes, not your crosshair. What I mean by this is to really pay attention to your opponent, and try to follow their movements with your eyes. It may feel more intuitive at first to line up shots using the crosshair, but it's faster and more efficient to trust your muscle memory to move the center of the screen to where you want it to.

To develop strong muscle memory, I'd suggest checking out some aim trainers. Doing 10-20 minute drills daily helps engrain the sensitivity in your head. Trainers that I recommend are Aimtastic (it's free), Aim Hero, and KovaaK's Aim Trainer. Aim Lab is another trainer on Steam which can help diagnose your bad aiming habits, but it's still early in development.

Your 800/6 is probably fine. Good sensitivities can be found in a huge range. EFFECT uses 800/4.5, Danteh uses 800/6, and Sinatraa uses 500/13 (Equivalent to 800/8), for reference. I'm using 800/2, but I have mouse acceleration to speed it up to 3200/2 in case I need to do a quick flick. You can get good at aiming with a ton of different mouse setups as long as you feel comfortable on it. But if you really wanna mess with sensitivities (I highly suggest to anybody who wants to get better at aiming to try using a super high and a super low sensitivity at least once in their lifetime), I'd suggest taking your current sensitivity and trying this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRFWLJazYYo. Instead of using training bots I would suggest one of the above Aim Trainers though. If you wanna go the extra mile and experiment with mouse acceleration you can try googling "Povohat's Mouse Acceleration Driver" but it'll take even more work to tweak all the settings and test those.
MOUSE ACCELERATION?!?!?!??!?!!?!?! THAT'S THE BIGGEST NO NO IN ANY FPS GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (but I guess if it works for you that's your choice)
1) Try other DPIs. Personally i use 400 DPI because it reminds my first mouse (a Logitech Wheelmouse) and because i will buy soon an Intellimouse 3.0
2) There is a video of IoStux about finding the perfect aim.
Common mistake is standing too close to your target. You want to be standing somewhere between mid range and right on top of them imo. Also, aim with your movement if you can. What I mean by that is if your target is moving left, move left with them and try not to move your mouse too much once it's on them.
Blink really close to your target, aim high and let your clips do the work
The best thing I can advise is to pick a low, reliable sens and stick with it. Building muscle memory is a slow and arduous process but it yields the greatest rewards. I use arm-only aim and have 3200 dpi 1 ingame sens. This makes my aim very slow and makes flick muscle memory harder (not to mention that I have to build up muscle to compensate for larger movements), but over time I will get more accurate with large and small flicks, while also keeping hard tracking on the table due to the lower sens.

The best way to build up muscle memory is to go into a custom game, buff your heroes so they can't die, 0 respawn, slow objectives (or skirmish) and practice different aim types. For tracking soldier and tracer are great. Flicks are mcree. Scope is Widow. Do this for even an hour or two and you can feel improvements, and you can also develop certain aim techniques to make it more reliable.

PS: Don't have multiple sensitivities for different heroes, it messes up your muscle memory hardcore and though it feels easier in the short run it limits your accuracy. Go as low as you can and stick with it, It may feel bad at first but It'll get much better. Also keep mouse acceleration off. Bad for flicks.
02/13/2018 04:19 AMPosted by EzClap
MOUSE ACCELERATION?!?!?!??!?!!?!?! THAT'S THE BIGGEST NO NO IN ANY FPS GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (but I guess if it works for you that's your choice)

I started using Mouse Accel because of health issues. I got tendinitis because I was tensing my wrist with high sensitivity, but my shoulder ached when playing really low sensitivity. Mouse Accel let me have low sensitivity for an easier time on the wrist, while not hurting my arm for large flicks.

After training with it for a month or two (I played with it off for years), I found my aim actually improved in many aspects. I'm currently mid-Diamond (peak just below Master, but I haven't had time to grind competitive recently), and mechanically my aim feels really good, especially in terms of flicking and smoothly tracking targets. I practice a lot in Aim Trainers, and tend to hit the 95th percentile for most flicking-related challenges and the 80-90th percentile for tracking. The only thing I really struggle with is tracking erratic movement, which was something I've always been bad at, even with mouse accel off.

Mouse accel obviously takes getting used to, but you can and will get used to having a different sensitivity for different speeds with practice. In fact, many Quake pro players use Mouse Accel and they obviously have to excel is all kinds of aim.
The way I warm up for any hitscan is to play McCree. After a while I get used to aiming for the neck or head so I can be more accurate.