Mercymains love to say "She is no longer fun"

General Discussion
What exactly was "fun" in Mercy and what did she lose in that "fun"?

Shift+q combo in old mercy? Few more clicks in new mercy? Being OP mustpick?

Mercy haven't lost anything in her general playstyle. And she was never fun to play.
Sometimes I wonder if the only thing they liked about Mercy was mass rez. Really, this Mercy plays very similar. There's a lot of former Mercy players that say they miss it.
02/05/2018 08:20 PMPosted by HanzoMaker
Shift+q combo in old mercy? Few more clicks in new mercy? Being OP mustpick?

Mercy haven't lost anything in her general playstyle. And she was never fun to play.
And just like that your entire post has 0 credibility.

Mercy wasn't an OP must pick in 1.0. And I mean you used to feel like you made a difference in the fight, now you're 100% a background hero that's hunted 24/7. PotGs are literally you holding M1 while floating, a rez if you're lucky. And on the topic of rez, Mercy used to be such a fun fluid healer, now you get stapled to the floor every time you want to hit E essentially signing your death warrant unless the enemy is less than incompetent.
Before the rework, she had a simple, enjoyable playstyle. Post-rework, and especially post-nerfs, rez has become an on-cd requirement instead of a smart decision. Her fast playstyle has been interrupted by suddenly standing still for two seconds.
I want to ask the same question from those who have cried for her to be reworked because they find her un-fun to play against.
They miss the mass rez.

But I recall people clamoring for updates to mercy's kit. Particularly begging for an E skill. Blizzard rightfully identified mercy's old kit was problematic. At the beginning of OW she was considered a must pick, teams ran double mercy with success. She was nerfed, and nerfed again, and buffed again.

She can never have an easy rez again, they can't balance it.

But yes, she is certainly not fun. But I never thought she was.
This was fun: https://streamable.com/uwgzt

Mercy's rework and subsequent nerfs have left her completely without any kind of individual playmaking capability. She has no carry potential. Before her rework when she was actually balanced, she was a high risk high reward hero who could single-handedly save a game in the hands of a skilled player.
02/05/2018 08:24 PMPosted by Paincakes
At the beginning of OW she was considered a must pick, teams ran double mercy with success.
Hmmmm, maybe it was because she was the only main healer?
I'm not a Mercy main and I actually quit the game because of Mercy for a while there, so I am not sure my response matters all that much. Having said that, an ult should be like a "yay, this is my time to shine" moment.

They gave Mercy E rez and it broke the game, now they keep nerfing the ult over and over again until it is nearly meaningless, robbing her of the "yay" moment entirely, yet stupid broken E rez is still there. They nerfed her, which was needed, but they nerfed her in the wrong way.
Valkyrie feels lame to use. That is a legitimate complaint. It can't counter other ults cuz it doesn't have the output to do it and since it doesn't have double Insta rez anymore either, you don't use it to help reverse a push either.

Now, you just kinda use it when your whole team is alive and attacking. And using it is basically just flying up and holding down either heal or boost.

I still like Mercy and Valkyrie is still a good ultimate but it feels boring to use.

I'm not one of the "mercy is trash omg wtf blizzard you're ruining my life" dramatics filling up these forums but that is one thing I can agree with them on.

I wouldn't hate it if they did something to make Mercy feel more impactful.
her ult had a lot of nuance to it. could she mass rez? tempo rez? how can she ult from her position? who can she ult at this range?

she had to constantly judge risk vs reward with her mass rez, and if pulled off right, it really felt like some massive play.

current mercy doesn't really have that. you press Q for a push, or to keep yourself safe, and you hide away as you hold down mb1. her single target rez has also been dumbed down because the decision to rez is an easy one--most mercy's only use E when they're completely safe.
02/05/2018 08:24 PMPosted by Paincakes
At the beginning of OW she was considered a must pick, teams ran double mercy with success.

Really? Because for the most part of Mercy 1.0, she was considered an F-tier character, a troll pick, and you rarely saw Mercy above Diamond. Once she got the invulnerability buff, her pick-rate and win-rate was on par with the other supports such as Lucio and Ana. This is the first time I ever hear that she was a must-pick before the rework.
I personally (along with a lot of other Mercy players I know) think she's a lot more fun and balanced in her current state than Mercy 1.0 (I can't wait to get downvoted yayyy). Contrary to popular belief, this forum is not the majority of the playerbase, only a measely 1%.

I absolutely hated the overly passive playstyle Mercy 1.0 promoted. And when it was overtime my team screamed at me to hide in a corner because if I risked participating in the fight and then died with rez we were guaranteed a loss and guess who was blamed for it? Me. I spent so much time in spawn or hiding on high ground it was ridiculous.

I mean obviously Mercy didn't need to hide a lot of the time, tempo rezzing mid combat was insanely strong, but during Overtime/the end of games there was no reason to participate in the fight if you had rez.

And I know lots of people like to say "Mercy players never hid and rezzed!"...
I mean...I climbed from gold to Grandmasters over the course of several seasons/months and the amount of times I saw Mercy players hiding is too much to count. It's not their fault, not like they did anything wrong, it's just the way using Rez was most effective/guaranteed value in many situations. And no, it wasn't just abused for SR, it was an actual strategy that won games.

Valk let's me feel like I'm contributing without letting my team die first, and it's nice being able to pistol down an enemy widow or pharah. However, I wish it healed more during it. 60HPS was fine when we had two instant rezzes, but now it's kind of...eh.

Also, the game just feels better overall with Rez having less of an impact. I had a rather long comp game this week where I literally only rezzed two people the entire game. I actually had to keep my team alive (I know, crazy right?) and not rely on Valk rezzes. Mercy players are now rewarded for being good healers and not for pressing Q after their team died.

I know I'll be downvoted by other Mercy mains, but I don't really care to be honest. I really enjoy Mercy's current state, I think this is the most balanced she has ever been since release, although I am expecting her to receive some small buffs sometimes soon to make her more viable in more situations.
If you already said that old Mercy was never fun, then it's completely impossible to explain how some of us DID find it fun. It's not like you'll change your opinion.

You're already discrediting the Mercy players who found her fun without even listening to their reasons, therefore your post contributes nothing.
The "unfun" meme argument really picked up after cast time was introduced to rez. Before that, you didn't see it much. Now it's evolved to encompass the decision making that was involved in mass rez. Shrugz.

A lot of it comes down to access to a game swinging moment, and that swing being drastic, as was the case with a large scale mass rez.

It was decided to lessen the impact of rez, and move away from mass rez into a more singular rez sort of paradigm as to remove problematic elements of mass rez.

Many are just fundamentally opposed to that. They want to be able to swing games. That's a tough one. I'd say go play Zen or Lucio if you want that sort of single button press clutch play move, as Mercy has clearly been moved away from that, but most refuse to acknowledge that possibility.

How one can reintroduce this rush feeling people got from rezzing with mass rez, while not reintroducing the problems etc that mass rez has, and staying true to the direction of a lessened rez impact, is a mystery.
Personally, give me the one instant res in Valk and I'd be ok. Her ult is boring. We were promised, fast, fluid and engaging gameplay. We have grinding halt, suicide button, passive cowardly heals with spectator view while we watch our team die.

I am an aggressive player and I used Mercy aggressively. Now I cant do that. She way more vulnerable then usual and I cant make a risky res with the "chance" of being punished. Now I will always be punished risky or not. They wanted hide and res gone, they got hide and heal, res is holding her back.

Remove it or bind it to her ult exclusively and give her a different E ability.
As an Ana main who had to play with 60 damage per shot...
A small change can make a world of difference. This goes for any hero.
Imagine if they lowered Hanzo's fire rate by 30%. This wouldn't take anything away from his playstyle, but would make people want to tear their own hair off out of frustration.
Once, playing Mercy was a mad rush.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IopmTtQTh3k

Or if you can stomach a full round of mercy ownage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kt-dgZlhN3I&t=14s

Now..not so much.
Personally, give me the one instant res in Valk and I'd be ok. Her ult is boring. We were promised, fast, fluid and engaging gameplay. We have grinding halt, suicide button, passive cowardly heals with spectator view while we watch our team die.

I am an aggressive player and I used Mercy aggressively. Now I cant do that. She way more vulnerable then usual and I cant make a risky res with the "chance" of being punished. Now I will always be punished risky or not. They wanted hide and res gone, they got hide and heal, res is holding her back.

Remove it or vind it to her ult exclusively and give her a different E ability.

I'd argue that these changes force Mercy to be more aggressive overall. Now that Valk has no rezzes, it forces you to use it aggressively/proactively as an engagement tool. With the instant rezzes, it was best used after two people had died, and thus was more of a reactive/defensive ult.

It was rather annoying when I got valk before the enemy Mercy, used it first, my team kills them, and then their Mercy uses her valk, rezzes her team, and the enemy wins the fight. Their Mercy was just rewarded for getting ult slower and then letting her team die first before popping it. I'm so glad that's gone.
02/05/2018 08:22 PMPosted by WhateverAlex

Mercy wasn't an OP must pick in 1.0. And I mean you used to feel like you made a difference in the fight, now you're 100% a background hero that's hunted 24/7. PotGs are literally you holding M1 while floating, a rez if you're lucky. And on the topic of rez, Mercy used to be such a fun fluid healer, now you get stapled to the floor every time you want to hit E essentially signing your death warrant unless the enemy is less than incompetent.

How do you guys actually think this? Are you selectively forgetting how stupid she was? The gameplay was not compelling and it absolutely made the matches all about killing the enemy Mercy. She was incredibly highly played, being described as "almost second to none" and she would only heal when ultimate was down or she was totally safe. When you'd push or get pushed on, she'd go hide and then come out to rez. It was bad gameplay, it made no sense for a support to abandon their team, and it felt bad to have your efforts landing a good combo get eliminated by a mercy ult.