What exactly is Mccrees role?

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 4 11 Next
Mccree is a mid-ranged hitscan dps hero, who's primary role is to peel for the supports.
He is there to protect the healers from unwanted flankers.
While godlike aim isn't necessary to fulfill your role as Mccree, since gamesense and positioning will help you more during a game, having good aim is mandatory if you wish to maximize Mccree's carry potential.
02/08/2018 03:39 PMPosted by Jeff Kaplan
https://clips.twitch.tv/InnocentFilthyWatercressYouDontSay
Jeff, I would give you 100 likes on that reply if it were possible. Pine is a McCree god!

02/08/2018 03:48 PMPosted by Killbill
you mean...only useful with mercy pocketing him 24/7

Jeff replied this because OP asked what McCree's roll should be used for, and you can clearly see in the clip Pine used it to instantly roll as soon as he ran out of ammo to be able to keep firing. That's exactly what it should be used for and that's what helped Pine continue to kill them all.
You really think Jeff posted this clip to say "look Pine did so well in this clip because Mercy was 'pocketing' him" ?
02/08/2018 03:42 PMPosted by brokenstyli

Most of the game's population can't hit these shots like Pine can.

You're telling the playerbase that this is his role, but only 10% of the playerbase can actually accurately reproduce this.

The remainder can't fit into this role... which begs the question, what is McCree's role for the players that aren't aim gods?

Don't play him if you can't

All this makes me think is what if someone asked "what is Mei's purpose" and geoff replies with a link to some bronze player on mei wrecking. McCree is great if you have good aim, Mei is great if the enemy sucks.

What does he do if we are not OWL players tho

You're telling the playerbase that this is his role, but only 10% of the playerbase can actually accurately reproduce this.

The remainder can't fit into this role... which begs the question, what is McCree's role for the players that aren't aim gods?

Play a hero that is more suited to your skill level.
02/08/2018 04:07 PMPosted by AMERICAN

McCree is great if you have good aim, Mei is great if the enemy sucks.

I want that on a t-shirt
02/08/2018 03:47 PMPosted by brokenstyli
02/08/2018 03:45 PMPosted by Crypticarts
Lol, you must be a hit at parties.

OP asked a question. Jeff gave a non-answer.

Jeff's response is literally "git gud".

That's not helpful, nor does it promote any sort of meaningful discussion.

It's not a non-answer. I don't like the thing Blizzard does with Kaplan and I think it's a deliberate PR notion and it's used like one would use a smoke bomb.

BUT, this isn't a non-answer. The question itself is a non-question. "I can see he's good if you hit shots, but I can't hit shots - so, what do I do?". Learn to hit shots or play some hero which isn't solely dependent on aiming.

You downplay and mock the notion of "git gud" because it's an easy thing to do and very trendy as well. But that's unfair. Because certain activities (in this case, playing mccree specifically) do require a person to "git gud" in certain areas in order to perform them, even on a basic level.

How does one play hockey if they don't know how to skate? A question is completely unfair. "ok, so you gave me a video of a person who knows how to skate and they are comfortable with playing hockey, but that still doesn't answer my question: most people don't know how to skate so I am asking, how to be good at hockey if I can't skate on ice?"

You can do this with literally every hero in the game.

"how do I play winston? hi's head area is big, he is a large target, his cooldowns are long for what they do, his range is poor and his damage is non-existent."

-then someone links a video of a good winston play, then a person goes:

"ok, but not all of us have teammates who coordinate with us, not all of us have complementary dive compositions... also, I can aim very well, but I have problems with general awareness and assessment of situation. Your answer seems to be just "git good". I am asking how are we, people without awareness, sense of surroundings and assessment of enemy positions etc. supposed to play Winston?"

It's so unfair of a setup that it's really something.

Also, this post:
02/08/2018 03:53 PMPosted by EbilJackal
what Jeff Kaplan posted is also possible by non-pro players:
https://clips.twitch.tv/BadImportantBoarPicoMause

Also:
02/08/2018 03:58 PMPosted by brokenstyli
What? No, that's not true at all.

Pine is demonstrating that aim takes priority with McCree. This role is literally play at a mid-distance, away from combat, and take potshots.

If you can't hit, then you can't fill this role. Period.

You are forgetting movement patterns of, say, bronze players and high level players. Look at stats of a random silver McCree player. They will be on par with stats of a grandmaster McCree player. In silver, players will jump A LOT, which gives you a free shot or even two, they will also pay no attention to you relatively lots of times, and even if they are dueling, they will take long left/right strides without you having to predict, but basically snap to them quite confidently. They will also be worse marksmen, so you can allow yourself to be poor at "wasd hack" and still live when you shouldn't.
While a pro player will do extremely erratical, unpaterned a d spam, with a touch of crouch, while still maintaining a solid accuracy.

Savage Jeff absolutely savage, also yes whatever pine does do half of that and your playing mccree correctly

A direct question that was completely ignored in favor of a self-congratulatory reach-around promoting a brand rather than actually interacting with the payerbase

Way to sum up Overwatch there Jeff, A+ work
1. They shouldn't ruin high-skill heroes because casual players struggle with them.

2. McCree has intentionally designed elements to help out those with less aim. Flashbang+Fan is an easy kill on any squishy hero (despite what the OP says). With his rapid roll, that means any 200Hp hero within 15 meters can be blown up with little aim needed from McCree, just by a simple roll+stun+fan combo.

His ult, as well, is all game sense and no aim. It's all about the position of yourself, your team, the enemies, the map, what abilities and ults are up, etc.

While these exist, McCree is still fundamentally a hero about good aim. That's okay to have in OW.

No one ever said to make a high-skill hero require less skill. We're talking about making a hero less one-dimensional.

McCree's role in Overwatch, much like Widow, is a high damage hero. And also, much like Widow, they don't contribute much to anything else besides high damage.

If you compare that to someone like Genji or Soldier, who also do damage but simultaneously have other options, Genji and Soldier are preferred over McCree and Widow.
  • Soldier has sustain, an ability for high damage, and mobility that never goes on cooldown.
  • Genji has resets, a generous defensive maneuver, and mobility that throws off enemies' aim.

This allows them both to multi-task; they're damage-focused, but they can also stall and dive.

McCree has... McCree has damage. That's it. If you can't hit, you don't have a role.
02/08/2018 04:05 PMPosted by Asryam
Let me tell you a secret about high skill heros, your argument is their entire point, you need to get good to make them work.

Genji has options. Soldier has options. Ana, Tracer, and Doomfist all have options. They're high skill heroes as well, each with options that (even if you have bad aim) you can still use and get value out of your character.

McCree has 1 combo, every 7-ish seconds, that is incredibly risky and leaves you optionless if you don't successfully frag an enemy.
(i typically use Fan the Hammer on tanks or shields)

This is a piece of good advice. McCree is normally a poor shieldbreaker (sustained left click dps is 93, which is decidedly low. This guy thrives on headshots), but if you manage to land close-range Fans (dps including reloads ~124 upclose, very harsh falloff) you edge out Soldier and Pharah by a hair (~111dps including reloads) and compete with Hanzo and close-range Tracer (~120-125dps including reloads). You need to be at about Mercy beam attach range or closer for that to be the case though.

savage reply is good reply :p

What is Tracer role for players that aren't good at taking risks ?
What is Rein role for players that aren't good at positioning ?
What is Junk role for players that aren't good at predicting movement ?
etc, etc
02/08/2018 04:19 PMPosted by brokenstyli
McCree has... McCree has damage. That's it. If you can't hit, you don't have a role.

McCree has anti-flanking abilities, which both of those two lack. He counters Tracers and Genjis, Winstons to a smaller degree, even d.vas. He has a HARD CC ffs.
1. They shouldn't ruin high-skill heroes because casual players struggle with them.

2. McCree has intentionally designed elements to help out those with less aim. Flashbang+Fan is an easy kill on any squishy hero (despite what the OP says). With his rapid roll, that means any 200Hp hero within 15 meters can be blown up with little aim needed from McCree, just by a simple roll+stun+fan combo.

His ult, as well, is all game sense and no aim. It's all about the position of yourself, your team, the enemies, the map, what abilities and ults are up, etc.

While these exist, McCree is still fundamentally a hero about good aim. That's okay to have in OW.

No one ever said to make a high-skill hero require less skill. We're talking about making a hero less one-dimensional.

McCree's role in Overwatch, much like Widow, is a high damage hero. And also, much like Widow, they don't contribute much to anything else besides high damage.

If you compare that to someone like Genji or Soldier, who also do damage but simultaneously have other options, Genji and Soldier are preferred over McCree and Widow.
  • Soldier has sustain, an ability for high damage, and mobility that never goes on cooldown.
  • Genji has resets, a generous defensive maneuver, and mobility that throws off enemies' aim.

This allows them both to multi-task; they're damage-focused, but they can also stall and dive.

Let me tell you a secret about high skill heros, your argument is their entire point, you need to get good to make them work.

Genji has options. Soldier has options. Ana, Tracer, and Doomfist all have options. They're high skill heroes as well, each with options that (even if you have bad aim) you can still use and get value out of your character.

McCree has 1 combo, every 7-ish seconds, that is incredibly risky and leaves you optionless if you don't successfully frag an enemy.

That is a good point. I would like to see flash bang time extended slightly so u can at least complete fth before they blink or dash out of it. I have no problem headshooting w mei after they freeze... I’m not quick enough for Mccree to do that.

This change wouldn’t effect high level play but at least make him usable by someone who’s not an aim god.

I understand what you're all saying, and I'm not saying I disagree here, but I think you're all missing his point:

People whose skill wildly outclasses the vast majority of people, even those who could be considered high-skilled players, should never be considered a reasonable metric for determining a hero's usefulness. That's the logical equivalent of using Mukesh Ambani's net worth to determine how successful India's economy is for their average citizen.
Mccree can kill flankers way easier then soldier, he can also burst down people much faster so healers can't react to his damage or he can straight up outdamage someone getting healed another thing soldier can't really do short of landing a direct helix rocket.

So yes his left click is mostly what he;s used for and that's fine not every hero needs some utility or autoaim attack.

He's hard to play if you can't play him pick another hero
02/08/2018 04:27 PMPosted by PulseBomb

McCree has anti-flanking abilities, which both of those two lack. He counters Tracers and Genjis, Winstons to a smaller degree, even d.vas. He has a HARD CC ffs.

He barely does that and only if you’re as good as the guy in video. You are sol if not cause flashbang does not last long enough to fan the hammer on them before they dash or blink.

i love this forum sometimes.

He isn't for you. Play Soldier.