Is a 144hz/165hz monitor worth it?

Technical Support
<span class="truncated">...</span>

You upgrade your gaming setup based on SR? Odd...

I get nicer stuff for my entertainment setups to make it more enjoyable.
I dont I am still at 60 fps cause I cant help but feel like 144 is overrated. I know for a fact that I HATE watching movies and tv shows at 120 fps. It looks like im watching a soap opera filmed on a basic cam corder.

First off, better hardware doesnt mean higher SR. Nicer, faster, better gear doesnt make you a better player unless you already a good player looking for small advantages.
What you said about more 120/144hz being overrated dont make sense either. It makes for a smoother experience there is no major downside (you could lock the monitor at 60hz if you want) and it is very noticeable. As for the movie comment, movies are shot in 24 and or 48 fps so it doesnt matter if your monitor is 60, 100, 120, 144 or 165 it will look the same. I dont know what you are refering to but it likely isnt what you thought it was.

Just wanted to add, going to high Hz looks very smooth but if you drop below that monitor refresh rate, with out gsync or freesync, you will notice it get choppy or tearing. You will need good hardware and may have to turn down settings to keep the game above your new refresh rate (gsync, and freesync again help this). So I do recommend looking into gysnc and free sync too unless you are rocking a 1070ti/1080/1080ti at 1080P and want to go to 120hz.
To end, I'd rather stay at 1080P 120Hz then go to 4k at 60Hz, the smoothness feels that much better.

EDIT: LazyWolf brought up to a good point, its likely you are talking about tv 120Hz which isnt really 120 and does look a lot different and many cases imo as well, bad.
...I dont I am still at 60 fps cause I cant help but feel like 144 is overrated. I know for a fact that I HATE watching movies and tv shows at 120 fps. It looks like im watching a soap opera filmed on a basic cam corder.

First off, better hardware doesnt mean higher SR. Nicer, faster, better gear doesnt make you a better player unless you already a good player looking for small advantages.

This is true, but you also hit mechanics-based skill-caps much faster with 60 Hz. Even when playing a healer, having the smoother experience makes things so much easier.

Flicking and flying to a teammate? Easier at 144 hz due to reduce input lag AND because it takes the brain/eyes far less time to adjust and find the teammate.

Jumping and punch-landing with Winston? Much easier at 144 hz.

Those are just small examples.
02/11/2018 08:44 AMPosted by polishpimp
02/11/2018 08:30 AMPosted by LazyWolf

You upgrade your gaming setup based on SR? Odd...

I get nicer stuff for my entertainment setups to make it more enjoyable.
I dont I am still at 60 fps cause I cant help but feel like 144 is overrated. I know for a fact that I HATE watching movies and tv shows at 120 fps. It looks like im watching a soap opera filmed on a basic cam corder.

TV is different. Most shows are not shot at that frame rate so the TVs use trickery to fill in and it looks terrible. I HATE TV with high refresh rates...

Games at high refresh rate are totally different.
But the human eye...
dude, yes! i upgraded from a regular 60hz monitor to a 144hz monitor. night and day man, so smooth, you can track all the things. i dont think ill ever be able to go back to 60hz after this haha.