Why do people keep saying widowmaker's ult is bad ?

General Discussion
It's literally the best thing that could happen to snipers (besides aimbot and shooting through walls of course)

You can also be in spawn , active the ult and you'd be doing area denial because the enemies are all trying to be out of sightlines , and also basically disabling flankers from flanking for 15 seconds

You could make the argument that "It's bad because hanzo has it"

Hanzo's is only in a small spot , It can't be detecting the enemy widowmaker , flankers and the rest of the enemy team at the same time (that ,and honestly hanzo is so bad that he needs things like sonic arrow and scatter to be even slightly viable)
1. It is helpful to snipers, but seeing as there is only 1-2 in the game, that is a very limited benefit

2. Even if it is helpful to snipers, most widows are still not *THAT* good to really make use of it and pick off every person that peaks around a corner.

3. Most of the time, you will know where the majority/all the enemies in the game are already, they are at or around the point. Its a running joke in most games I play if a widow activates her visor, during a teamfight with 11 people on point "Don't worry guys, we know where they are!"

4. Aside from most of the enemy team being visable, it could help with flankers, but it won't (unless they are bad flankers). Announcing to the enemy team you've just activated your wall-hack means anyone that was going for a flank will stop and delay it for 15 seconds.

So basically, all it does is make flanks wait around for 15 seconds, and help out the very few exceptional widows and Hanzos.
Because people don't use brain.

Widows ult is literally the most powerful in the game.
Because matchmaking is so uncoordinated that the whole team having wallhacks is useless. It's a really powerful ult in the pro scene
People don't realize how much power they're gaining with it because it doesn't make names show up on the kill feed. Even in uncoordinated groups, it's easily one of the most powerful ults in the game.
02/11/2018 02:43 AMPosted by Alhaitham
active the ult and you'd be doing area denial because the enemies are all trying to be out of sightlines

The enemies pushing the payload are already clearly visible and couldn't care less. It's only area denial for flankers.

It helps Widow get cheeky headshots and it helps the team with map awareness, but these benefits become increasingly less relevant the more skillful Widow is at aiming and the more gamesense her teammates possess. Never completely irrelevant, but you get my point.

An ult that can wipe a payload or clear out the enemy's supports is usually better than one that acts as a crutch for situational awareness and slightly inconveniences Tracer mains.
I think her ult is awesome for your team! But mostly just because you can see flankers who tries to sneak up on you xD but they're good for getting kills with ults too :D

I hate ppl who thinks her ult is useless O.O then think again lol.
Because they think an ult has to kill people to be good.
02/11/2018 02:52 AMPosted by Scynt
1. It is helpful to snipers, but seeing as there is only 1-2 in the game, that is a very limited benefit

2. Even if it is helpful to snipers, most widows are still not *THAT* good to really make use of it and pick off every person that peaks around a corner.

3. Most of the time, you will know where the majority/all the enemies in the game are already, they are at or around the point. Its a running joke in most games I play if a widow activates her visor, during a teamfight with 11 people on point "Don't worry guys, we know where they are!"

4. Aside from most of the enemy team being visable, it could help with flankers, but it won't (unless they are bad flankers). Announcing to the enemy team you've just activated your wall-hack means anyone that was going for a flank will stop and delay it for 15 seconds.

So basically, all it does is make flanks wait around for 15 seconds, and help out the very few exceptional widows and Hanzos.

1- I don't see the problem with widowmaker's ult being mostly helpful to herself , Most ults are ,but you can't tell me you've NEVER gotten a pick (without you being the widowmaker) because of an infra-sight

2- Honestly more of a git gud issue, not an issue with the ult itself

3- Yeah ,the one situation it's useless in is when the entire enemy team is on point in a point with little to no obstetrical around (Like hanamura B), but to be fair almost all ults have situations they're bad in , For example tac visor is bad when the enemy has a ton of barriers up in a barrier heavy comp.

4- Yeah ,I know that ,Just listed it as a bonus because flankers are one of widowmaker's counters, when she activates her ult her counters become a lot weaker due to widow knowing where they are at all times
02/11/2018 02:59 AMPosted by datpotatoe
02/11/2018 02:43 AMPosted by Alhaitham
active the ult and you'd be doing area denial because the enemies are all trying to be out of sightlines

The enemies pushing the payload are already clearly visible and couldn't care less. It's only area denial for flankers.

It helps Widow get cheeky headshots and it helps the team with map awareness, but these benefits become increasingly less relevant the more skillful Widow is at aiming and the more gamesense her teammates possess. Never completely irrelevant, but you get my point.

An ult that can wipe a payload or clear out the enemy's supports is usually better than one that acts as a crutch for situational awareness and slightly inconveniences Tracer mains.

1- There usually isn't more than 3 people on the payload ,the ult can still have use there , it can even be useful against the people on the payload for some headshots (I.E. payload is turning around the corner ,you have no idea if they're infront or behind the payload, infra-sight gives you an alert if someone's head will pop up soon)

2- IMO it just becomes even better depending on how good the widowmaker is , you don't normally just know that the enemy is currently about to peak around the corner ,with infra-sight you get a chance to react to them and INSTANTLY kill them as soon as the head pops out (before they get the chance to see you)

a good widow can take advantage of this and always hit the mark ,a normal widow could probably miss that , I know you said ''never completely irrelevant'' but I feel like you're underestimating it a bit

3- I agree with you here, though it should be obvious why widow doesn't have that

(her gun)

I'm by no means a good widowmaker, I don't have much playtime on her either, I'm just stating my opinion on why I think it's not a bad/underwhelming ult like many people think it is (Maybe that's why I think it's a good ult ,because it helps me get easy headshots lol)
You need great teamwork to reap the exploits from her ultimate. That is hard to attain in pickups.
The people that say widow ultimate is bad are the people who can't land a single headshot with her that is why
Its a good ult. Not only for snipers, but you can help the team with it. Hanzo can know where to throw the dragon, Junk can drive the ult safetly, etc
It's a great ult. Unfortunately that dirty arrow peasant gets it as a regular ability.

I understand that Widow's is map wide, and the arrow peasant's is not, but being able to have walls on the important chokes without alerting the enemy through most of a game is a bit stronger than a 15 second ult that most people stop and use their wave and/or dance emotes for until it's over.
Because Widowmaker mains are selfish people who doesn't care of their ultimate actually helps the team a lot. All they care is getting the kills to themselves so if their ability doesn't benefit her directly it's considered bad.

The irony that the hero associated for being a lone wolf selfish non-team player is given one of the best team utilities in the game.
02/11/2018 07:48 AMPosted by Xengamun
Because Widowmaker mains are selfish people who doesn't care of their ultimate actually helps the team a lot. All they care is getting the kills to themselves so if their ability doesn't benefit her directly it's considered bad.

The irony that the hero associated for being a lone wolf selfish non-team player is given one of the best team utilities in the game.

Who's your main? Should we believe all the generalizations and stereotypes about the people who play them?
It's a good ult, but it's not a fight changer like other others. It's a delay of fight ult because nobody will peek when you know where they are.
02/11/2018 02:52 AMPosted by Scynt

All valid points. I wish it would allow her to penetrate barriers for 50% damage durring it's duration.
02/11/2018 02:54 AMPosted by ShinyPants
Because people don't use brain.

Widows ult is literally the most powerful in the game.

agreed,
it dosn't have that immediate kill everything by pressing Q
that everyone tries to compare it to but quite frankly knowing where say the healers/flankers are before you engage in a team fight can make all the diffrence
as it can help prevent getting an out of nowhere pulse bomb stuck to you or let you pick off that zen / lucio well before they can pop that deny your team kill button

also those that use the widows don't even use it right so it sucks argument have no logical ground to stand on as any ult/ability can be used wrong and be a waist to the team.
It’s only powerful in the right teams hands.

It’s powerful if you coordinate it, but if you don’t, it’s one of the more useless ults.