Symmetra needs MORE than a 'Small adjustment.'

General Discussion
1 2 3 9 Next
Highly Rated
Edit: Jeff - "We disagree that Mei needs a major rework. We are trying some improvements to her but they are not major.

Symmetra will require more work to get into a better place and therefore take longer to address."

I am relieved! I'm glad Bliz are taking the Symmetra changes seriously, i hope they somehow make her more supportive and viable. For Mei, if minor buffs will make her viable, i'm all up for it.
Thanks Bliz, the worry for Symmetra is now off my chest. <3

Title.

Blizzard have said they are going to maks slight adjustments and tweaks to Symmetra, nothing big.

-Symmetra has the lowest playtime in the OWL, with a whopping 0.00%. (https://www.winstonslab.com/events/event.php?id=91#heroStatistics)

-She's not viable on attack, nor is she on some maps of defense.

-She has the most counters in the game. And when she is countered, she is countered really hard.

-Will make your temmates ask you if you're trolling when picked.

-The hero that doesn't fit in the dps slot or the support slot.

Does this look like a hero in need of a small change?
Symmetra and Mei need reworks.
Agreed
02/12/2018 10:43 AMPosted by DPSMercy
Symmetra has the lowest playtime in the OWL
Notice you said the OWL. That's an entirely different league than, for example, somewhere around my level. Just because Symmetra isn't necessary in the opinions of the League pros doesn't mean she's useless by definition.
I really hope she gets the ability to create the photon bridge we saw making rounds before and in her comic. This would be an incredibly useful ability all around (attack and defence, for flanking or defending, for consistently getting a team up to high ground or using it as a one off for a good shield gen/teleporter location). It would make her utility go up tenfold!
I think we can start with a small adjustment and work our way up from there.

No need to redo past mistakes, just start with appreciable modest buffs and watch her pick and winrate closely
Small adjustments is fine, but she needs another support ability side with the sentry turrets. All she has is a photon barrier that barely protects her teammates and sentries. She can either build a health pack dispenser, a hardlight photon bridge or something.

Edit: I DEFINITELY agree that she gets encountered hard
I think all she needs is a new ability to replace the barrier. She needs an ability that directly affects her allies throughout the match, like temporary shielding or projected barriers similar to zarya. She just needs to be more consistent at actually supporting her team without an ULT.... or be moved to the defense category.
I'd like to see her old E back with a slight buff....
02/12/2018 10:48 AMPosted by Pakaku
02/12/2018 10:43 AMPosted by DPSMercy
Symmetra has the lowest playtime in the OWL
Notice you said the OWL. That's an entirely different league than, for example, somewhere around my level. Just because Symmetra isn't necessary in the opinions of the League pros doesn't mean she's useless by definition.

I think her usage rates speak for themselves. Even in the lowest ranks her pick rate is still extremely low, indicating that she may not be particularly useful even there. But the reason people keep bringing up her OWL pick rate is because of just how much of an outlier she is there.

Symmetra is literally the ONLY hero not picked in OWL. If even the other trash tier heroes have a use to the players who know this game best, what does that say about Symmetra? Why aren’t Torb, Mei, Sombra, and Doomfist being left out if heroes like Symmetra just don’t fit the highest levels? It seems to validate what Symmetra advocates have been saying forever but no one will listen - she’s too niche and too counterable to be a better pick than any other hero in any circumstance, which is a balance problem. The fact that average players make suboptimal picks doesn’t mean there aren’t viability problems.
We disagree that Mei needs a major rework. We are trying some improvements to her but they are not major.

Symmetra will require more work to get into a better place and therefore take longer to address.
also, hey papa jeff

02/12/2018 10:48 AMPosted by Pakaku
Just because Symmetra isn't necessary in the opinions of the League pros doesn't mean she's useless by definition.

this is a flawed argument

"professional" and "competence" is very far off, i agree there

OP could have worded it differently, sure

but if you get one competent player on the enemy team, Symmetra is in dumpster tier that fight
that's the problem with her
one moderately aware player negates her entire existence, nothing she does is capable doing much more than being a nuisance if she gets pushed back from what she's doing, whether it's microwaving people or setting up her constructs

you could say that with any hero simply being countered, but her situation is worse because of how everything can counter her
Highly Rated
02/12/2018 12:26 PMPosted by Jeff Kaplan
We disagree that Mei needs a major rework. We are trying some improvements to her but they are not major.

Symmetra will require more work to get into a better place and therefore take longer to address.

+10000

nice
Highly Rated

HE HAS SPOKEN

At this point I like to think of Jeff Kaplan as the Magic Conch Shell and the Overwatch community as Spongebob and Patrick.
So is there a date to the changes or ptr? I hope it comes soon.

I'm glad Mei isn't getting a complete rework, as I do genuinely love her playstyle. With that said, are we to expect a little more than the minor ammo buff that was accidentally added last patch? While useful, I personally don't think that alone would help her. Regardless, happy to hear you're actually trying a few things without altering the playstyle.

Just out of curiousity, what does the team believe symmetra and meis roles are in the game? What do you believe they should be excelling in?

Thanks for the info. Is there a certain schedule or order you plan on releasing the certain details for each hero change you mentioned a few days ago?

Nice, it's awesome seeing most of the F tier heroes getting buffs now
I agree.

She need bug fixes and small improvements to her freeze ability and ultimate.
That's probably it.
Her kit is already great but it's not enough to be viable in the current character roster.
Small changes is enough.