Symmetra needs MORE than a 'Small adjustment.'

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 4 9 Next
give mei ultimate the zarya's properties . cancel mobility abilities
02/12/2018 12:43 PMPosted by kidsmitty
02/12/2018 12:26 PMPosted by Jeff Kaplan
We disagree that Mei needs a major rework. We are trying some improvements to her but they are not major.

Symmetra will require more work to get into a better place and therefore take longer to address.

We disagree that Mei needs a major rework. We are trying some improvements to her but they are not major.

Symmetra will require more work to get into a better place and therefore take longer to address.

I think the part of Mei that needs a rework would be her cryo-feeze. Currently it is counter intuitive, it takes her out of the fight for multiple seconds, only for the purpose of slowly healing herself or stalling an objective, and she is very vulnerable once its over. perhaps it should reload her gun, similar to Reaper's wraith form.
Other QOL changes could include having her wall cooldown start as soon as she puts up the wall, giving It to her more often. At this point her Icicle being the only projectile in the game with range falloff seems a bit unfair when she is in need of a buff.
That's all, thank you for continually balancing this game and not letting characters fade into uselessness.

Her wall cooldown actually currently starts when you put up the wall. However, it doesn't provide a visual indication of it for some reason, but it currently does this. If you keep the wall up for the full duration the cooldown is reduced to roughly 5.5 seconds.

But yes, I would like to possibly see some of these changes, and I imagine Blizz are testing them (they've been brought up a few times in the Mei-ga thread). I think her primary and ult are the biggest problems facing her right now, in addition to the favour the shooter mechanic on her cryo and wall. I look forward to seeing what direction Blizz decide to go with buffing her regardless.
I pray to God Symmetra gets a full rework, scrap everything try again with her. She DESPERATELY needs it!!!
Jeff,

I love Mei, but I know she's ineffective 95% of the time now that enemies are smart enough to work around her abilities.

How about adding a slow debuff to her icicles, making it so 20+ heroes can't escape her ult from dead center, allow her freeze beam to penetrate barriers, and prevent enemies from wall climbing her wall.

Pick 3 and you're done.

Thanks.
02/12/2018 10:43 AMPosted by DPSMercy
Title.

Blizzard have said they are going to maks slight adjustments and tweaks to Symmetra, nothing big.

-Symmetra has the lowest playtime in the OWL, with a whopping 0.00%. (https://www.winstonslab.com/events/event.php?id=91#heroStatistics)

-She's not viable on attack, nor is she on some maps of defense.

-She has the most counters in the game. And when she is countered, she is countered really hard.

-Will make your temmates ask you if you're trolling when picked.

-The hero that doesn't fit in the dps slot or the support slot.

Does this look like a hero in need of a small change?
Symmetra and Mei need reworks.

Mei doesnt need a rework, please stop.. Mei just needs minor adjustments (small buffs) not "rework"

What about Doomfist?

This is a really interesting opinion on these two heroes. I don't really agree and I'd love to know what leads you guys to think this way.

To me it's more the opposite. Sym right now has a pretty clear cut role she excels in. The problem is that her weapon design prevents her from being a major part in a team fight outside of "lul I got max beam strength and microwaved the entire team from behind." That is really all that needs to be reworked in her kit.

Mei on the other hand I genuinely don't know how you "fix" her without making the most frustrating hero in Overwatch. Every aspect of her kit is a frustration mechanic ready to become Ironclad Bastion 2.0 with any form of buff. To me she's the prime hero in this game for a full fundamental rework.
"-Symmetra has the lowest playtime in the OWL,"
and..this matters to us normal players? Were not owl nor do we woot.

There states vs normal players is different and shouldn't be compared or used in an argument.
02/12/2018 01:08 PMPosted by LordzBacon
"-Symmetra has the lowest playtime in the OWL,"
and..this matters to us normal players? Were not owl nor do we woot.

There states vs normal players is different and shouldn't be compared or used in an argument.

Yes, for normal players it does matter, as she has one of the lowest playtimes in the actual game, too. She was never meant to be as situational as she is now.
02/12/2018 01:03 PMPosted by Rightwardsky

What about Doomfist?

Don’t be trying to hijack a thread. This is what I personally hate when I see a dev comment.

Small question.

You said that they are designed to be situational heroes.
Can you share what you guys think what their best situation should be?
02/12/2018 12:30 PMPosted by Boostio
Just out of curiousity, what does the team believe symmetra and meis roles are in the game? What do you believe they should be excelling in?

Based on snails pace of changes even for infinitely small number changes I'd say their intended job is to tilt your own team for picking them.

Mei needs small tweaks to be in par with Hanzo maybe. To be on par the actual meta dps heroes she needs far more potential power in her kit that doesnt revolve around LMB freezing (play that makes her very strong in very low ranks and mostly pointless the higher you get) or a little extra ammo..

Seriously after a year of being trash if all we do up her effective ammo why couldn't we have done a 5 minute change like that a year ago?

Sym needs major work I agree. Mei barely needs work, more like adjustments. The only thing I could see being considered a rework with mei would be shooting the ground to move fast. Other than that, I think you made the best comment you could.
FINALLY A PROPER REPLY

And she does need more work based on everything the OP has stated. I'm really happy they are really taking the time with her.

Give Symmetra the ability to place a mobile health pack, full size, that functions like a normal health pack.

have you and the team ever tough making sym turrets multi utility ? like making it that when a allied player come close to a turrets it heal that player and when a enemy player comes it damage them it would make sym a actual support (and by that i mean a healer) she would still be niche but better all around she would have in a way healing stations less ppl would complain again tough she would still be niche
I had a post a while back on what I think would work for Sym which i'll link, though it didn't get any traffic.

The still long TLDR is for her ultimates to be combined into a teleporter that grants shields to those around and can be placed before ult then activated so she doesn't have to leave a fight to use it. Her photon barrier replaced with a photon over-shield that works like a Zarya bubble meets Lucio ultimate that she uses to give teammates a sudden burst of health at crucial moments. Finally a few changes to turrets like make them transparent when not firing so she can place them a little more openly.

These changes would give her more of a support role, increase her viability, even in attack to some extent, and reduce her kit weirdness in what I feel is the most minimal major change possible that would still work well.

Original post: https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20761096961#post-1

I'll just ask for the dev team to be careful to not destroy the hero identity. As a Symmetra player, I like the permanent-until-destroyed ultimate as a concept, I like to play around with her turrets, and I absolutely love both versions of her gun. Both the autoaim beam and the piercing orb are central to her playstyle, and allow people like me, who don't have the skill to aim like a traditional FPS to enjoy the game.

I don't mind number balance, and I know I'll try my best to adjust to whatever new playstyle Symmetra ends up fitting just from my passion for Symmetra herself. Just, please, try your best to keep her doing what she does best right now.
Symm needs a huge rework. She’s the only hero that has counters that make her entire kit obsolete.

Would it be possible to know what about her current state is not inline with your vision of her and where would you like to see her conceptually speaking?