Gifting a player in a different continent.

General Discussion
Hello! I am living in Canada and have a friend who lives in Japan and I would like to gift Overwatch to him, however I was wondering if there would be anything related to currency conversion or game server limitations that I should be worried about.

The Battle.net account that I will use to gift the game has its country of residence set to Canada. My friend's Battle.net account has its country of residence set to Japan. If I gift Overwatch to my friend using CAD, will he only be able to play on the Americas server?

I could be completely wrong and it could just work as if I gifted the game from a Canadian account to another Canadian account, however I prefer to not take the risk and ask about it here on the forums.

Thanks!
Should be completely fine in both those regards.
You choose the server you play on manually - anybody can choose the American, European, or Asian server networks (and will automatically use the server closest to them).
And your preferred displayed currency is determined by your preferences in your account, so it includes currencies for most (if not all, online) countries. It was mostly definitely include yen.

The only time region-locking is a problem is when the game versions are different for legal reasons (eg Australian censorship of drugs, German censorship of gore).
02/10/2018 12:40 PMPosted by Snackrat
Should be completely fine in both those regards.
You choose the server you play on manually - anybody can choose the American, European, or Asian server networks (and will automatically use the server closest to them).
And your preferred displayed currency is determined by your preferences in your account, so it includes currencies for most (if not all, online) countries. It was mostly definitely include yen.

The only time region-locking is a problem is when the game versions are different for legal reasons (eg Australian censorship of drugs, German censorship of gore).
Ah, okay. Thanks for the info!